First Prep, Where to Start?

For me when cutting it’s:

High dosage green tea (200-400mg of EGCG per serving)
Whey
Evening Primrose Oil
Cod Liver Oil
Multivitamin
Fat Burner (only when you are already pretty shredded and want to go to Trent/pwolve level)

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Whey
Evening Primrose Oil
Cod Liver Oil
Multivitamin
Fat Burner (only when you are already pretty shredded and want to go to Trent/pwolve level)

[/quote]

Do you drink your green tea or take it in pill form?

I am planning on starting Flame Out again.

I’ll probably start HOT-ROX again maybe in August/September (last 6-8 weeks)?

I forgot Micro-PA. I’ve used about 2.5 bottles and think it’s pretty great actually.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Whey
Evening Primrose Oil
Cod Liver Oil
Multivitamin

[/quote]

Do you drink your green tea or take it in pill form?

I am planning on starting Flame Out again.

I’ll probably start HOT-ROX again maybe in August/September (last 6-8 weeks)? [/quote]

Take it in pill form just for convenience.

The HOT-ROX are ideal for the end phase for sure, especially if you are lower carbs at that point as the boost in energy from them at that point is definitely noticeable.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Whey
Evening Primrose Oil
Cod Liver Oil
Multivitamin

[/quote]

How is primrose supposed to help in the cutting phase? I know Shelby Starnes recommends this, but I’m not sure of the reasoning.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Whey
Evening Primrose Oil
Cod Liver Oil
Multivitamin

[/quote]

How is primrose supposed to help in the cutting phase? I know Shelby Starnes recommends this, but I’m not sure of the reasoning. [/quote]

For Omega 6, specifically gamma linolenic acid.

I just read in his ebooks and Justin Harris’s nutrition one that you need Omega 3 and 6 to aid fat loss so I already get an abundant of Omega 3 for cod liver oil and need a source for Omega 6.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

Lol, thanks Rattle :). I don’t think I’m the standard for shreddedness haha

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:

Yep, ideally you want to transition out of a cut by “reverse dieting,” by gradually reintroducing calories and slowly pulling back on cardio. You have to remember that your metabolic rate isn’t static; your maintenance calories may have been 3,000 at the start of your cut, but if you finish at 2,000 and decide to jump back to that 3,000 right away, you’re going to accumulate fat much more quickly than necessary. The first week after a cut you can make a bigger jump such as 20-30 g of carbs per day without much trouble, and after that generally 5-10 g per week is a reasonable rate to increase at. Obviously pay attention to the scale and the mirror to see how long you can keep this up before you’re gaining too quickly[/quote]

Since I got permission to threadjack…

This isn’t so hypothetical for me, as I am at the end of a cut (not prep and still not lean).

I’m currently in an eat less exercise less phase, ala jade teta, at the bottom of my cut. This means I’m lifting 4x w/ a rest between each session (maybe walk on the day off), with 2x rest at the end.

Following, I plan on the following:
-upping my fats by 10g on off days
-increasing my carb day from 1 meal/week to 1 hour (and 2 hours the following week, then 3, up to 6, skipload protocol)
-reducing rest days by 2 (So, 2 lifts, 1 rest, 2 lifts, 2 rests)
-reintroducing sprints on my rest days, building up volume and intensity over 3-4 weeks
-increasing fats on working days
-increasing carbs periworkout, after my carb window is 4-6 hours

After that, maybe another eat less/exercise less cycle of 2-3 weeks… deal with some injuries throughout the process.

1 question: When is a good time to turn the focus back to strength? I have been doing hypertrophy-based sessions throughout the cut, but my goal now is to baseline this weight (I’m still upper teens for BF) and refocus on strength gains; however, everyone says to only manipulate one variable at a time, so I’m curious when the workout should become that variable.

What variable do most people change first? Do you reduce calories first or upper cardio?

I am tracking my baseline over this and next week. I will being the following week.

I’m thinking about changing variables in this order:
1: Add 15 minute “finisher” to 3 training sessions per week
2: Reduce Carbs (furthest from training) & replace with fat or protein (keep calories the same)
3: Add fasted walks 2-3 times a week
4: Reduce Carbs (again furthest from training). No replacement calories.

Any thought? Will reducing carbs, but upping fat or protein (or both) make a difference? Does the order of changes seem good?

Thanks!

-Chris

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
What variable do most people change first? Do you reduce calories first or upper cardio?

I am tracking my baseline over this and next week. I will being the following week.

2: Reduce Carbs (furthest from training) & replace with fat or protein (keep calories the same)

Any thought? Will reducing carbs, but upping fat or protein (or both) make a difference? Does the order of changes seem good?

Thanks!

-Chris
[/quote]

Depends what you starting point is

What we’ve done with JM both preps

1. Reduced carbs/cals to switch from “gaining muscle” to “losing fat” calories (usually remove carbs from meal 1 and recude carbs from meal 2)

2. Add cardio in, 4 x 30mins - moderate intensity,

3. Reduce/remove carbs from meal 2-3

4. Up the cardio duration to 40mins

5. Reduce/remove carbs from last meal of the day

6. Up the cardio frequency to 5x/week

7. Reduce/remove carbs from every fucking thing except peri workout

8. Up the cardio to 5 x 45mins

9. Reduce carbs from post workout meal, if needed

10. Stop the cardio

11. Add carbs back in a bit to fill out

At some point around the 10weeks out mark we up training frequency from 6 to 7 too

Good luck with everything
Thats pretty much what ive done, as you see, we did not play with pro/fats

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Thanks!

-Chris
[/quote]

1. Reduced carbs/cals to switch from “gaining muscle” to “losing fat” calories (usually remove carbs from meal 1 and recude carbs from meal 2)

10. Stop the cardio

At some point around the 10weeks out mark we up training frequency from 6 to 7 too

Thats pretty much what ive done, as you see, we did not play with pro/fats[/quote]

Man that sounds like a rough combo of cardio/not a lot of carbs! What do you do for moderate intensity cardio? And how many weeks out have you had to add it in?

If you start with 500 and decrease them you have a lot to play wiht. Also the drops weren’t specified.

That amount csrdio is almost the minimal for true health benefits. But does look like a lot.

Also missing are chest meals. But those are more based on progress and can’t really be specified

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Thanks!

-Chris
[/quote]

10. Stop the cardio

Thats pretty much what ive done, as you see, we did not play with pro/fats[/quote]

Awesome, thanks zraw!

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
If you start with 500 and decrease them you have a lot to play wiht. Also the drops weren’t specified. [/quote]

You’re talking about carbs right Ryan? I’m only at about 400 on training days, but I’m not a real big guy.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
If you start with 500 and decrease them you have a lot to play wiht. Also the drops weren’t specified. [/quote]

You’re talking about carbs right Ryan? I’m only at about 400 on training days, but I’m not a real big guy.

[/quote]

I was yes and that’s a good amount to start with and lots of room to play with small drops

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[/quote]

I was yes and that’s a good amount to start with and lots of room to play with small drops [/quote]

Ya. now that I’ve cleaned my diet up quite a bit I’m going to be around 300 on training days, which I think will still be high enough to start with. TH extra 100 was junk anyway.

For example here is where I’m at so far today. Any thoughts?

I plan on replacing the sugar with Stevia once I get to the store.

40g of carbs in your coffee?!?! have it black!

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
40g of carbs in your coffee?!?! have it black![/quote]

egggggg (that’s why I will pick up Stevia ASAP)

Or cut it out entirely.