Fat Surplus Gets Used for Every Pound of Muscle U Build?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
Is the “conjugating with lions” line overused yet?[/quote]
I think someone needs to fertilize themselves.

(And regarding your post in a different thread, I’ve been around, just busy working for a living. :wink: )[/quote]
LOL!!!

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs. [/quote]

I have read this sentence multiple times and still cannot even come close the fathoming what it could possibly mean.

Trying to break it down and using some improve grammar.

“What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training (along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do) hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs.”

Still no idea.

“Hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5lbs”

What?[/quote]

I can’t be the only one seeing this right? Have I gone mad? Was this part written in Basque? You folks are all replying to him and I can’t even figure out where the question is.[/quote]
It’s hard unless English isn’t your 1st language. I sort of understood what he meant.

We share the same biology, regardless of ideology…

Look, all kidding aside - the reason other people make more progress than you may be their genetics but it’s mostly because you can’t get the basic three bits - lift, eat, sleep - right yet keep asking about the remaining 5% of the puzzle.

“What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training (along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do) hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs.”

oops. my bad. lol. There was a typo there. What I meant to ask is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat been used by my body to compose about 3-5 lbs. more muscle on me?[/quote]

I’m getting closer to understanding you, but still not quite.

Are you asking why you gained 3-5lbs of fat versus 3-5lbs of muscle? Or are you wondering why the fat doesn’t transform into muscle? In what way are you wanting your body to use the fat to make more muscle?
[/quote]

I feel someone with a “post-grad medical-related degree” should be able to answer both of these questions without any help.

I also feel like they should be able to construct basic sentences as well though, so what do I know?

no, no, no. You guys misunderstand me. I am not asking why I am not making as much progress compared to alot of people. The question I am trying to ask is why didn’t all of the fat I gained didn’t transform into muscle? I mean the purpose of gaining a certain amount of fat surplus during bulking is to use all of that gained fat as calories for building muscle mass and strength (along with facilitating optimal recovery in the muscles used from your weightlifting routine).

Wow I was wrong. I understood nothing because I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he isn’t an idiot.

no, no, no. You guys misunderstand me. I am not asking why I am not making as much progress compared to alot of people. The question I am trying to ask is why didn’t all of the fat I gained didn’t transform into muscle? I mean the purpose of gaining a certain amount of fat surplus during bulking is to use all of that gained fat as calories for building muscle mass and strength (along with facilitating optimal recovery in the muscles used from your weightlifting routine).[/quote]

Um, which healthcare-related field are you studying at Loma Linda?

I’m starting to think BS is the best, longest-running troll that I’ve ever seen, and that he’s seeing how far he can push us.

Is that you, flipcollar? Admit it!

no, no, no. You guys misunderstand me. I am not asking why I am not making as much progress compared to alot of people. The question I am trying to ask is why didn’t all of the fat I gained didn’t transform into muscle? I mean the purpose of gaining a certain amount of fat surplus during bulking is to use all of that gained fat as calories for building muscle mass and strength (along with facilitating optimal recovery in the muscles used from your weightlifting routine).[/quote]

1. Fat doesn’t transform into muscle.

2. I think you’re making up the purpose for fat. Fat is just stored excess energy which wasn’t used (to build muscle or during your daily activities).

It seems like you learned a lot in school but have no idea how to utilize that information. Where exactly did you learn that “the purpose of gaining a certain amount of fat surplus during bulking is to use all of that gained fat as calories for building muscle mass and strength”. I hope your school didn’t teach you that. Otherwise you’re just making meaningless implications based on what you don’t understand. Stop making stuff up if you want to make progress. Learn through experience instead because it doesn’t seem like you’re learning from books. Once you gain experience, the things you learned in school might make more sense.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Look, all kidding aside - the reason other people make more progress than you may be their genetics but it’s mostly because you can’t get the basic three bits - lift, eat, sleep - right yet keep asking about the remaining 5% of the puzzle.[/quote]

This is probably the best piece of advice.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
I’m starting to think BS is the best, longest-running troll that I’ve ever seen, and that he’s seeing how far he can push us.

Is that you, flipcollar? Admit it![/quote]

I think you may be right, lol.

i am lost,I think,maybe not,but I might be
i do not truly understand

What biological process is involved in the transformation of fat into muscle?

What biological process is involved in the transformation of fat into muscle?
[/quote]

Mark Rippetoe briefly explains in his SS book how fat surplus is used to both build the size of lean mass tissue and provide sufficient amount of calories for recovery of the muscles.

Also, this guy explains it too:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that guys like Chris had even said what Rippetoe and Jason (from the JuggernautFitnessTV channel on youtube) had said with regard to calorie surplus and gaining bodyfat for weightlifting.

I am not saying that fat storage is always directly proportional to greater energy for muscular hypertrophy and recovery. Gaining more than about 20-30 lbs. of fat during a given period of bulking will only add useless fat to your body.

Okay, I am sorry for coming off condescending. I don’t think that I am necessarily better than any of you guys. I was trying to back myself up on what I had to say. If I did think that I knew more than all or any of you guys on this site about fitness, nutrition, bodybuilding, powerlifting, programming, etc. then I wouldn’t keep asking questions on what I don’t know pertaining to any type of training or diet.

FYI, I am studying occupational therapy at LLU, and I am not gonna go into exactly how high it’s ranked, but LLU’s occupational therapy department is formidable.

No, you misunderstand the purpose of gaining fat. Gaining fat is not a prerequisite, it is a byproduct. So it’s not "eat a lot > gain fat fat > the fat gets used for muscle building but “eat a lot > use the calories to gain muscle > unused calories become fat”.
Rippetoe’s concept of eating for muscle basically means eating so much that you always have enough calories for the building process available. If some of it spills over, well, we’ll take care of that later. This is a very simple thought process and you not understanding it makes me doubt your ability to apply knowledge correctly.

Also note that Jason, in the video above, never mentions hypertrophy, only strength. The two are related but not the same.

Mark Rippetoe briefly explains in his SS book how fat surplus is used to both build the size of lean mass tissue and provide sufficient amount of calories for recovery of the muscles.

Also, this guy explains it too:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that guys like Chris had even said what Rippetoe and Jason (from the JuggernautFitnessTV channel on youtube) had said with regard to calorie surplus and gaining bodyfat for weightlifting.

I am not saying that fat storage is always directly proportional to greater energy for muscular hypertrophy and recovery. Gaining more than about 20-30 lbs. of fat during a given period of bulking will only add useless fat to your body. [/quote]

He left out the factors of creating a demand to keep/build muscle, a good diet and good recovery protocols.

Your body doesn’t automatically use fat to build muscle, otherwise fat people sitting around doing nothing would spontaneously gain muscle. Think of fat as just another energy source, much like the fat you eat - stop worrying about it. How well you control the above factors will determine whether you improve your body composition regardless of whether you’re gaining weight, maintaining or losing weight.

If you don’t work hard and really push your body to do a lot of heavy lifting, your body won’t adapt and feel a need to grow. If you have a shit diet that’s all sugar, how do you expect to build much muscle? If you don’t sleep enough, your body doesn’t have much time to rebuild.

Stop trying to target the 3-5 lbs of fat and focus on the above factors. Do a program other than Starting Strength to sustain high efforts of strength work for longer than you’re currently doing.

Edit: I forgot to add that gaining/losing weight too fast can also result in less favorable body composition.

2+2=4
unless you are using fuzzy math that is absolute

yesterday squat workout final set 8 reps wasnt sure i would get all 8 reps had to pause at top of rep 6,7,rep 8 was a grinder
how many calories did I burn ,how much damage did i do to my body,did i deplete my Glycogen stores since i do not train in a lab nobody knows,
now for the kicker
how much protein do i need for repair?
how many carbs do i need to replace glycogen stores?
how many other micro Nutrients do i need?
i dont eat in a lab ,so no one knows

all i can do is follow the guidelines that have been presented on this site
if i dont get enough Nutrients i dont get optimal recovery
so to be on safe side i go to high side of recommended amounts
anything not used for growth and recovery becomes fat
if i dont eat Enough during the day[24 hour period] my body will use fat for energy instead of muscle
i could be wrong
if i am will someone correct my thinking

asking why fat doesn’t transform into muscle is like asking why hair doesn’t transform into teeth

OP, you’re asking why you gained fat when presumably you were in a caloric excess? It’s because you had excess calories which were stored as fat…

Also, I didn’t read half this thread but lifting weights and training martial arts both take away energy from the other so it would be expected that you got less results than someone who’s completely dedicated to lifting.

[quote]cavemansam wrote:

if i dont eat Enough during the day[24 hour period] my body will use fat for energy instead of muscle
[/quote]

Your line of reasoning is off. It’s true your body will use it for energy as needed for tasks like walking, running, etc. However if your muscles need building blocks, fat is not enough - therefore you will actually break down muscle to produce the amino acids your body requires. This means your body can’t convert FAT to PROTEIN. It can only use fat to fuel certain chemical reactions.

Let’s say you’re 250lbs, 40% body fat. So pretty fat. If one day you only get 1000 calories, you think your body will make up the rest by using fat? No. Those remaining calories are not just energy but nutrients you need to actually build muscle (protein, essential fats, etc etc).

Body fat can NOT turn into muscle. It can only be burned off, and muscle needs more than what you get from fat to grow.