T Nation

Fat Surplus Gets Used for Every Pound of Muscle U Build?


#1

Hey guys, I am back. it's been a very long time since I was last on here. I can proudly say that I have been weightlifting for almost 2 years with total consistency including having done the SS program for over a year and 4 months now. I know I really should have probably switched to an intermediate program like madcow or Texas many months ago and transitioning to madcow; however, I have been having a hard time gaining more than 15 lbs. since I started weight training consistently.

I intend to continue weight training to make further gains in both strength and muscular size. So to get right to it, my question has to do with the body fat I have gained over the years of training. Overall, I have only gained about 15 lbs. of total body weight including, by my estimation and judgment, about 10-12 lbs. of lean mass and 3-5 lbs. of fat.

What I don't get is why haven't those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do hasn't been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs. I mean I have only gained about 15 lb.s of body weight in total compared to the vast majority of other guys who gained over 30 lbs. of body weight including about 25 lbs. or more of pure muscle, 5-10 lbs. or more of water, and 5-10 lbs. or more of fat within that same amount of time that I have been truly committed myself to weight tr training while continuing my martial arts regimen. I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

Thanks again.


#2

Because full attendance in school doesn’t guarantee you a degree.


#3

Two points:

  1. You need to concern yourself less with what other people are doing. There are a lot of other people, they are doing a lot of different things and there are a lot of different variables in their life that you are not aware of. Worrying about all of this is a recipe for distraction and resentment. You can’t affect it, so don’t let it enter your thinking. Your training is all about you. Your effort. Your commitment. Your results.

  2. Speaking about you, what, specifically, have you been doing? There are a massive amount of variables at play here, no matter how many people tell you intensity is everything, and you haven’t even begun to describe them in the above post.


#4
  1. Speaking about you, what, specifically, have you been doing? There are a massive amount of variables at play here, no matter how many people tell you intensity is everything, and you haven’t even begun to describe them in the above post.

thread hijack
at work the other day we were talking about intensity in the gym ,as in how do you explain intensity to some one when you are not in the gym with them


#5

[quote]cavemansam wrote:
2) Speaking about you, what, specifically, have you been doing? There are a massive amount of variables at play here, no matter how many people tell you intensity is everything, and you haven’t even begun to describe them in the above post.

thread hijack
at work the other day we were talking about intensity in the gym ,as in how do you explain intensity to some one when you are not in the gym with them
[/quote]

This is why I always say that the first thing a new lifter should do is spend 3-6 months playing a competitive sport to learn about this (along with flexibility, basic levels of strength, athleticism, tenacity, mobility, coordination, body awareness, etc). However, that suggestion is usually bemoaned by those that “just want to lift”.


#6

I think the only way for you to ever get anywhere would be to get a coach or mentor who knows his shit and follow his instructions without question. You like debating so much more than lifting and eating.


#7

six months ago i decided to gain about 15 lbs,steadily increased eating to the point of retarded [ex. come home from work eat breakfast,wife wakes up i tell her i have not eaten yet she fixes me big breakfast] number of meals per day who’s counting ,i gained 15lbs in 6 months
start bodyfat , dont know, ending bodyfat, who cares, got stronger, work capacity went up

if i decide to drop body fat i will make appropriate changes
time invested six months
workout program,squats deadlifts bench ,various assistance lifts, 4 workouts per week
keep it simple
dont be afraid[ bodyfat,overtraining,getting hurt]
if you look at this as a long haul ,six months trying something new is nothing


#8

It can range from a lot to a little. It depends on creating a demand to build/keep muscle, quality of diet and recovery. If you aren’t satisfied then make improvements in those areas.


#9

yeah people usually get mediocre results sticking more than 6 months to SS. As other have said lots of variables but both eat more(cleanly) and train with more volume


#10

If I understand the question correctly, your situation is simple. Suppose you were eating 3000 calories/day. At your starting point, that would be a caloric surplus and you gained weight. After gaining 15 pounds though, 3000 calories isnt a surplus anymore. Its your new maintenance calorie intake. Factor in that Martial arts burns a lot of calories so for you maintenance isn’t maintaining bodyweight, it is maintaining bodyweight and maintaining performance at practice.

tl;dr after periods of making substantial gains you need to reevaluate your caloric surplus

as for bodyfat, putting on body fat is not as simple as calories in vs calories out. long conditioning sessions such as at your martial arts practice can put your body into hibernation mode and make it hang onto some fat. Most of the guys at my judo club are not shredded to the bone from doing judo or jiujitsu all the time. A couple of them are and they’re on something. Oh well, deal with it


#11

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs. [/quote]

I have read this sentence multiple times and still cannot even come close the fathoming what it could possibly mean.

Trying to break it down and using some improve grammar.

“What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training (along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do) hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs.”

Still no idea.

“Hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5lbs”

What?


#12

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
You like debating so much more than lifting and eating.[/quote]
No kidding.

Anyone up for a Monday morning chuckle?

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
Trust me, I’ve done several years of research and studying on fitness/nutrition and have even taken a class on physiology: diet and exercise (which counted as college credit) and a 9-month long course on personal training from a certified CSCS instructor of NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning). I took both of those courses at UCLA as an undergrad there.[/quote]


#13

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
You like debating so much more than lifting and eating.[/quote]
No kidding.

Anyone up for a Monday morning chuckle?

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
Trust me, I’ve done several years of research and studying on fitness/nutrition and have even taken a class on physiology: diet and exercise (which counted as college credit) and a 9-month long course on personal training from a certified CSCS instructor of NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning). I took both of those courses at UCLA as an undergrad there.[/quote]
[/quote]

Is the “conjugating with lions” line overused yet?


#14

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
Is the “conjugating with lions” line overused yet?[/quote]
I think someone needs to fertilize themselves.

(And regarding your post in a different thread, I’ve been around, just busy working for a living. :wink: )


#15

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
Trust me, I’ve done several years of research and studying on fitness/nutrition and have even taken a class on physiology: diet and exercise (which counted as college credit) and a 9-month long course on personal training from a certified CSCS instructor of NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning). I took both of those courses at UCLA as an undergrad there.[/quote]

I presume that despite all of this fancy book-learnin’ you still have not found the answers you seek.

You’ve been told this countless times on this site, but sometimes in this game, less thinking is more. Let go of the textbook answers, let go of the dogma that you’ve read and convinced yourself is true, and experiment on yourself. Learn by doing, not by analyzing every decision to death. Want to know if something works? Try it for 8 weeks and see if it gets you closer to your goal. If it has worked, great. If not, move on and try something else.

ThePunisher can and will say this more articulately than I have, but the truth is that many, many different approaches can get someone to the endpoint of a strong and/or muscular body, to the point where a lot of us on this forum have started to say that as long as the basics (working hard in the gym several times a week in the presence of sufficient nutrition) are fulfilled, the specifics of a program are in some ways the least important element. The most important thing is consistency and hard work.


#16

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs. [/quote]

I have read this sentence multiple times and still cannot even come close the fathoming what it could possibly mean.

Trying to break it down and using some improve grammar.

“What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training (along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do) hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs.”

Still no idea.

“Hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5lbs”

What?[/quote]

I can’t be the only one seeing this right? Have I gone mad? Was this part written in Basque? You folks are all replying to him and I can’t even figure out where the question is.


#17

“What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training (along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do) hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs.”

oops. my bad. lol. There was a typo there. What I meant to ask is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat been used by my body to compose about 3-5 lbs. more muscle on me?


#18

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
“What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training (along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do) hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs.”

oops. my bad. lol. There was a typo there. What I meant to ask is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat been used by my body to compose about 3-5 lbs. more muscle on me?[/quote]

I’m getting closer to understanding you, but still not quite.

Are you asking why you gained 3-5lbs of fat versus 3-5lbs of muscle? Or are you wondering why the fat doesn’t transform into muscle? In what way are you wanting your body to use the fat to make more muscle?


#19

cant speak for other people
but
if you go back and look at his past questions and the responses he got
true over thinker
what ever his intent on the question was,
i believe was
how come i gained fat not muscle
could be wrong


#20

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs. of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs. [/quote]

I have read this sentence multiple times and still cannot even come close the fathoming what it could possibly mean.

Trying to break it down and using some improve grammar.

“What I don’t get is why haven’t those extra 3-5 lbs of fat I have gained over these years of fully consistent weight training (along with still continuing with my martial arts conditioning and the ocassional running that I do) hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5 lbs.”

Still no idea.

“Hasn’t been used ugly you body to compose about 3-5lbs”

What?[/quote]

I can’t be the only one seeing this right? Have I gone mad? Was this part written in Basque? You folks are all replying to him and I can’t even figure out where the question is.[/quote]

I took the question to be roughly:

“Why have other people made more progress than me in the same time scale”

It took a bit of figuring and jiguring to get there though.