Fat & Feeling Old

I would get your fats from stuff like olive oil, natural peanut butter, alvacados, and nuts instead of bacon. Ideally, you want to split your fat intake evenly between saturated, poly-unsaturated, and mono-unsaturated fats.
Check out Dr. Berardi’s F-word article when you get a chance for some pointers about fat http://www.T-Nation.com/article/diet_and_nutrition/the_fword
He’s got a chart near the end that you may find useful as you get your diet more precise. Also, I thought CT recommended a 50/50 split between protein and fat while dieting, not carbs and fat.

i love avocados. had some almonds with lunch, probably will for a snack with my protein this afternoon too…

that’s a 50/50 split by calorie count right? not grams?

Yeah, by calorie count. 250 grams of fat would be 2000 calories by itself. Plus 1000 calories from the protein, even with no carbs you would be consuming 3000 calories.

Jermicide, just wanted to chime in and say good luck! You’ve made a wise decision; stick with it.

As far as adding fats: buy some hyoge bags of nuts from costco or sam’s club. I mix a batch of pecans and almonds in a big plastic bag and eat some of them for snacks, etc.

I think your work out probably needs help, but if it’s working for you go with it. I’d recommend trying out full body sessions 3x/week. Vary the set/rep ranges for each day. Stick to 3 or 4 big compound movements, etc.

Good luck!

Ok, I made dinner tonight factoring in today’s conversation. My wife and her girlfriend who was over for dinner pretty much left wet spots after trying this stuff. You’ll want this recipe.

Poulet Buerre Noisette ala Jermicide

1 Chicken Breast, bone and skin removed
1 cup Spinach, fresh
1/2 stick Butter, salted
1 cup water
2 tbsp Cider Vinegar
3 cloves Garlic, minced
Cracked Black Pepper

Throw the chicken breast on the George Foreman Grill (I know you’ve got one, there’s no shame in it.)

Boil minced garlic with water & cracked black pepper in a saucepan until water is almost gone. Lower heat to Low setting. Add the cider vinegar and whisk briefly. Slowly add the butter a pat at a time, whisking until dissolved before adding another pat.

Plate chicken breast on top of raw spinach and spoon the sauce over the chicken & spinach.

Calories 691.0
Total Fat 49.1 g
Saturated Fat 30.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 12.6 g
Cholesterol 258.9 mg
Sodium 505.8 mg
Potassium 848.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
Sugars 2.0 g
Protein 56.4 g

That looks fantastic, thanks for sharing the recipe.

man, been working 12- 15 hour days in a deathmarch here at the office… I wouldn’t have eaten today if it hadn’t been for a few cans of almonds and a big bag of protein powder i keep in my office.

I did escape for some squats tho, can’t miss those, i love me a good squat day…

switched to 5x5 and upped the weight.

5x5 squats with 225 pounds, felt good, could’ve done more i think.

3x5 deadlifts with 245 pounds… body felt fine, grip not so much, felt pretty weak… I dropped the bar on the last rep of the 3rd set, was 35 minutes in so i left it there, went and got cleaned up to come back into the office, picked up a roasted chicken on the way back, good for 56g of fat and 101g of protein… i’m gonna eat on that all night, so don’t think i’m wolfing it all down in a sitting…

will do some psyllium husks and Flameout when i get home late tonight…

How low do you squat?

I squat down till my hams hit my calves… since i’m a fat guy it’s just past parallel for me, you can feel the load really coming off your knees once you get past parallel and that’s my trigger to stop and start heaving it back up

I kept focus today and kept the feet flat, it wasn’t unnatural feeling or so, so i have a feeling the workout my calves got last time was just waking up from non-usage and not a matter of me coming up on my toes

[quote]Jermicide wrote:
I squat down till my hams hit my calves…
[/quote]

good man, You’d be suprised how hard it is to get most people down to even close as far as that.

i’d rather squat than anything else… suits me best i guess…

benchpressing and curls are the worst to me…

[quote]Jermicide wrote:
i’d rather squat than anything else… suits me best i guess…

benchpressing and curls are the worst to me…

[/quote]

I like the bench, deadlift, and clean and jerk. I can’t stand doing suff over 5 reps. I’m almost to the heaviest DBs my gum has on rows though. I’ll probably end up doing high rep “kroc rows” one day a week, then going back to a barbell the other.

splenda is ok, right? for keeping my carb levels down or whatnot?

[quote]Jermicide wrote:
splenda is ok, right? for keeping my carb levels down or whatnot?
[/quote]

A small amount is fine, yes. Personally, I avoid anything that requires me to use sugar/sugar subsititute.

this green tea stuff tastes like water from an ashtray that’s had cigarette butts soaking in it… spoonful of spenda goes a long long way

I love green tea. My wife found a variety that has a small amount of flavoring (mango, peach, and others), and doesn’t add anything forbidden to it. They taste pretty good (although, I already love the taste of plain green tea).

i like good green tea… this herbal anti-oxidant crap i’ve got at the house right now is just ass…

Ugh. Yeah, that doesn’t sound like it tastes very pleasant at all.

ouch… so i skipped the gym yesterday because of work, my boss quit and i was called upon to lay everything 5x5 in his wake.

i think i made up for it today, but i can’t find any workouts similar to this…

basically, me and a buddy gathered, cut, split, delivered & stacked 3 cords of firewood… 3 and change, might’ve been closer to 4…

1 went to dad’s 2 went to my place, and there was still a huge pile left for my friend.

i’m wiped out, been cutting & moving firewood since 08:30 and it’s now 19:00, so 10 hours of that today…

i think i paid for my day off the gym.

I maintained my low carbedness throughout however.