Fat & Feeling Old

Hey, new here… Gym has a fitness challenge and I’m determined to win it. Particulars are in my blog on this site, see my profile.

Hitting the basics, squats and dead-lifts are my favorite, bench presses, military presses, etc are teh sux.

Keeping it to 1800-2000 calories a day, with 175 or so grams of protein,

Really would like to go shirtless at some point this summer, also eventually I’d like to catch up to my dad’s personal best deadlift.

That’s about it, I’ll go back to reading the articles now (ok, and checking out the Figure Competitor babes… Jamie is unreal!)

Ok Man you took the first step in your transformation by posting and stating your goals now lets get to work and try to acomplish them!

Whats a sample diet you are eating right now? Where are those 1800 calories coming from?

What workout are you using I recomend you reading 3x10 for fat loss it should be a great program to get you started! Are you doing any cardio?

April 22nd
EAS Whey Protein Scoops ( 2 serving ) 240 4 6 46
Special K Bar ( 2 serving ) 180 3 36 2
Coffee, made from ground, regular ( 8 fl oz ) 5 0 1 0
Bread, sour dough ( 2 medium slice (4-3/4" x 4" x 1/2") ) 137 2 26 4
Turkey or chicken breast, prepackaged or deli, luncheon meat ( 4 slice (1 oz) ) 125 2 0 26
Carb Depleted Chocolate Shake ( 1 serving ) 201 2 6 42
Metamucil (course) ( 1 tablespoon ) 75 0 21 0
Finfish, salmon, pink, cooked, dry heat ( 6 oz ) 253 8 0 43
Spinach, raw ( 1 cup ) 7 0 1 1
Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles ( 1 serving ) 380 23 7 12

Total 1602 calories 43 fat 104 carb 176 protein

they ordered pizza at the office today, that was difficult to resist, but i did so… MUST LOSE SHIRT!

I was asked today by someone who saw my profile here on the screen “Why would you post a pic like that, aren’t you embarrassed?”

The answer is, yes… Extremely.

What I finally realized is, that’s what people see when they think of me. This is what they see when I’m walking around, and THAT IS MORESO EMBARRASSING!

I heard a quote by Pamela Anderson once, something to the effect of “There would be less fat people in the US if everyone wore less clothing.” There’s a lot of truth to that, and as such, my goals were derived. I don’t want to be embarrassed to be seen without big baggy bulky clothes on. I want to be able to best my dad’s best deadlift too, and i can’t do that carrying 75 pounds of FAT around on me either.

I like your motivation That alone is a powerful tool to help you succeed!

That Diet looks ok for now you can ajust it later after you loose some weight and see how you feel! Remember to eat the majority of you carbs before you train and try to cut them out by 5 o’clock that will make a big diference!

How is your training? Did you find a program “Starting stenth” is good as well as “3x10” for fat loss!

My training is… shooting in the dark…

I like deadlifting, I do that a lot.
I like squats, I do that a lot.

today was

5 sets of 10 reps squats with 135 pounds
2 sets of 10 reps deadlifts with 135 pounds

my quads, hams, and calves were… “twinging” at this point, felt like they would charley horse up with each step i took, so i went to the treadmill and did 20 min of 5 degree incline at a moderate 3.5 mph (which kept my heart rate around the 130 bpm range)

the walk-off helped my legs calm down.

i’m trying to work up to 10x10 on the squats and deadlifts. I’m also currently working on some Hammer strength machines to try to work up to Dips and Pull-Ups… at which point my entire routine will be alternating squat & deadlift days with dip & pull-up days… I like the concept of the big compound movements, dunno why.

Another one gets bit by the bug. Keep it up man and you will be proud of what #s you start pulling.

If you continue to read the nutrition articles you’re going to find that your diet still needs quite a bit of work.

You have the right idea as far as your training goes. I would suggest adding in another day with horizontal push/pull movements (e.g. presses and rows).

starting strength is for you.

so here’s what i’m thinking:

monday - dips & pullups (100 each, assisted if need be) - light cardio (take the dogs on a hike likely, ridgebacks love the hikes)

tuesday - 45 min cardio on treadmill (135 bpm heartrate target)

wednesday - squats & deadlifts (10x10 goal) - 20 min on treadmill to get the blood moving again after

thursday - 45 min cardio on treadmill (135 bpm heartrate target)

friday - 3x10 bent barbell rows, 3x10 bench press, 3x10 standing press, 20 min light cardio (135 bpm heartrate target)

saturday - yardwork, running the dogs, work on house, etc…

as far as the diet… i’m doing fiber & fish oil supplement now, not sure where to go from here oon the diet yet.

ah, checking out the starting strength article, thanks!

Hey, Good Luck! I was where you were at and i kept my head up and i’m getting there! It’s all in your head, remember. Give your self a goal that you CAN do, and you WILL make it.

A lot of credit to you for posting your pic. Will definitely help keep you accountable.

You look a lot like I did a couple of years ago, similar height and weight.

As others have pointed out, your diet still needs some work. Read some of John Berardi’s articles. Diet is the No. 1 thing that will make or break your efforts.

One other thing, I know you have the cardio in your program, but if you can do it, I’d add in the NEPA walks that Chris Shugart talks about in the V-Diet. Even if you don’t get a walk in every day, taking a 30-45 minute walk at a good clip 4-5 days a week will really get your activity level up, have a positive health effect and give you a mental boost, too.
[EDIT:] Take the walks outside whenever possible, not on the treadmill.

You’re on the right path, just make adjustments as needed, make good choices and stay consistent. Get your form down to minimize the chance for injury and you’ll soon build some good momentum toward your goals. Good luck!

Yeah, i’ve got a pair of rhodesian ridgeback dogs that love to get out and hike, so taking them out is the obvious choice…

I’m still not sure what to do about my diet, i’m getting 1g protein per lean pound bodyweight, and trying to keep it roughly 50% protein, 30% carb, 20% fat. for under 2000 calories.

I’ll check out Berardi’s articles, thanks for the pointer!

I did my squats and deadlifts yesterday and woke up SORE SORE SORE. Legs almost folded underneath me as i hit the ground. The hike with the dogs this afternoon should be fun.

Wow, 30.5% bodyfat. You kinda delude yourself into thinking that you’re not that fat. “Oh, i’m fine, look, I can still button these 40” pants." Then you hear the numbers and do the calculations, 73 pounds of FAT I’m carrying around. NO WONDER I can’t do a flipping pull-up… TIME TO SHED!

Breakfast was 1 raw egg, 1 scoop of metamucil, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup of milk in a shake, 2000mg fish oil tabs and a zinc tab.

Brought a bunch of spinach greens with balsamic vinegar, carrots, and tomatos for lunch, and an apple for snack. I already have a bag of whey protein up here, so i’ll throw that in at some point today too.

DAY TWO BEGINS!

[quote]Jermicide wrote:
I did my squats and deadlifts yesterday and woke up SORE SORE SORE. Legs almost folded underneath me as i hit the ground. The hike with the dogs this afternoon should be fun.

Wow, 30.5% bodyfat. You kinda delude yourself into thinking that you’re not that fat. “Oh, i’m fine, look, I can still button these 40” pants." Then you hear the numbers and do the calculations, 73 pounds of FAT I’m carrying around. NO WONDER I can’t do a flipping pull-up… TIME TO SHED!

Breakfast was 1 raw egg, 1 scoop of metamucil, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup of milk in a shake, 2000mg fish oil tabs and a zinc tab.

Brought a bunch of spinach greens with balsamic vinegar, carrots, and tomatos for lunch, and an apple for snack. I already have a bag of whey protein up here, so i’ll throw that in at some point today too.

DAY TWO BEGINS!

[/quote]

good luck!

Good luck man! You definitely have the right motivation to make this happen. And if you listen to the people here, they will help you fine-tune things (just never ask for a handout, lol).

Out of curiosity, what was your Dad’s personal best on the deadlift?

dad was a metal worker… his personal best was flipping 1000+ pound sheets of steel up on end, built like a bull with hands like a bear, he could deadlift over 700 pounds, 750 is the target i’m going for.

dad has never been in gym, came about it the hard way, feeding the family.

Oh yeah…> HELLO DAY THREE

omg the pain from wednesdays squats and deads… WORSE TODAY!

2000mg fish oil tabs
3 eggs - boiled
zinc tab for breakfast…

soo happy today is push & pull day, i’m hitting my calves with tiger balm.

Wondering if I’m doing the squats/deads wrong to have hit my calves so hard… Don’t remember my calves hurting this much when I did this years ago. gluts, hams, quads are all sore, but DAMN those calves

Make sure you’re pushing from your heels with the squats, if you rock forward and push with you toes/balls of your feet, you bring the calves into it.