Do You Do Self-Myofascial Release?

[quote]Nyral wrote:
samorost wrote:
Guys I cant manage to get foam roller, do you thing this stuff could supply it?
I mean that thing looking like giant sausage, its inflated ball.

http://www.zdravionline.cz/p/Set-Pilates--valec-a-podlozka-AKCE

Im afraid it cant beacause its too soft, what do you think?

nope that won’t cut it. Isn’t there any fitness equipment store near your location?[/quote]

I don’t think Perform Better ships outside the U.S. unfortunately

Probably one of the more underrated things in training/rehab/prehab. I never knew how much I appreciated it until after I did it, my ROM increased in many of my lifts, and I generally felt better. I am working on graduating from the foam roller to the tennis ball, this is no easy progression. True hell is rolling your piriformis with a tennis ball under all your bodyweight. Damn.

Now I feel a little embarassed, because I just found several e-shop in CR oops…But to be sure, those what i found are made from polypropylene with no pipe inside (compared to ones I saw on american e-shops), is that acceptable, do you have someone this version- without pipe?

/Well Sarevok, Boo is a smart cosmic hamstaÃ??Ã?´…/

edit: heres link: http://www.modom.cz/foam-roller.html

maybe IÃ?´m just too punctional…

edit2: dont know why it makes those things- Ã??Ã? - when typing apostrophe

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
True hell is rolling your piriformis with a tennis ball under all your bodyweight. Damn.[/quote]

I made the mistake of jumping straight to a lacrosse ball.

[quote]Nyral wrote:
DarrylLicke wrote:
ucallthatbass wrote:
I made my own “the stick” buy getting some PVC about an inch thick and put a wooden dowel through it to roll my calves and have the misses roll my traps. It’s cheap and works great.

nice. I’m gonna do that. I was trying with a rolling pin and some swiffer sheets but it wasn’t slick enough.

Actually just a rolling pi work great I find[/quote]

mine is a wierd one…no actual spinning wood…all a signular piece.

I need to start doing this. Are you guys using PVC because it flexes or because it flexes less? I have some carbon fiber tubes with a 3" diameter. Would those be okay for foam rolling? They’re super stiff. I can’t flex them in any kind of way. I’d try them out right now, but they’re in the very back of my storage unit. I’d really rather not pull them out unless I can make them useful.

[quote]samorost wrote:
Now I feel a little embarassed, because I just found several e-shop in CR oops…But to be sure, those what i found are made from polypropylene with no pipe inside (compared to ones I saw on american e-shops), is that acceptable, do you have someone this version- without pipe?

/Well Sarevok, Boo is a smart cosmic hamstaÃ???Ã??Ã?´…/

edit: heres link: http://www.modom.cz/foam-roller.html

maybe IÃ??Ã?´m just too punctional…

edit2: dont know why it makes those things- Ã???Ã?? - when typing apostrophe[/quote]

Yup that’s the stuff, the pvc pipe inside is to make it last longer but just for personal use it should plenty of time.

[quote]leaftye wrote:
I need to start doing this. Are you guys using PVC because it flexes or because it flexes less? I have some carbon fiber tubes with a 3" diameter. Would those be okay for foam rolling? They’re super stiff. I can’t flex them in any kind of way. I’d try them out right now, but they’re in the very back of my storage unit. I’d really rather not pull them out unless I can make them useful.[/quote]

Because it flexes less. I actually just have a large and thick industrial paper roll tube. So as long as it really hard it does the job. It’s 3 inches? You might find it to be too small to roll yourself on it. Foam rollers are usually 6 inches in diameter.

Thanks. I think it’s bigger…it’s been a few years since I’ve seen them. It’s at least 3". Definitely not 6". I’ll grab it in the morning and see if I can finally make those things useful.

You’re right, 3" is hard to work with, especially since the tube is about 6’ long. I can do some rolling, but some muscles are harder to roll while keeping the rest of my body off the ground.

Build your own stick for $10 btw in case anyone didn’t see it

I’m tempted to build or buy a rig with opposing spring loaded rollers so I can stick a limb in, torque it down and massage both sides at the same time.

You can make a “the stick” functional equivalent for about $2.50 if you don’t care too much for fancy.

nice bump!

Foam roll before workouts, it will help recovery big time…foam roll after workout and static stretch…will make a world of a difference in your recovery…you can use PVC pip and med balls to foam roll

[quote]bluecollarjock wrote:
Foam roll before workouts, it will help recovery big time…foam roll after workout and static stretch…will make a world of a difference in your recovery…you can use PVC pip and med balls to foam roll[/quote]

I 2nd rolling before workouts, makes me feel 10x better

Yes, I do SMR.
I disagree with comparing it to stretching, though.
Two different (and useful) animals.

I self release all the time. :slight_smile:

[quote]SMF wrote:
I self release all the time. :-)[/quote]

lol, i’m a master at self release