Do You Do Self-Myofascial Release?

Guys I cant manage to get foam roller, do you thing this stuff could supply it?
I mean that thing looking like giant sausage, its inflated ball.

http://www.zdravionline.cz/p/Set-Pilates--valec-a-podlozka-AKCE

Im afraid it cant beacause its too soft, what do you think?

[quote]samorost wrote:

Im afraid it cant beacause its too soft, what do you think?[/quote]

Go to a hardware store and buy a short length of PVC pipe. Perfectly suited for foam rolling.

[quote]samorost wrote:

Im afraid it cant beacause its too soft, what do you think?[/quote]

nope that won’t cut it. Isn’t there any fitness equipment store near your location?

Hmm I have one just under bed (in past used on rehabilitation too, but in different way. Ill use this until I get that smoother one thing. Is 12cm~ almost 5 inches suitable? Thanks.

Ok.
Not exactly in town where I live (need to search in college town when school year start), but there is a shop offering basic selection of massage equipment, so Ill head there. But I doubt itll be offered when I cant find it in e-shops…

omg…mistake, sorry

[quote]samorost wrote:
Go to a hardware store and buy a short length of PVC pipe. Perfectly suited for foam rolling.
Hmm I have one just under bed (in past used on rehabilitation too, but in different way. Ill use this until I get that smoother one thing. Thanks.
nope that won’t cut it. Isn’t there any fitness equipment store near your location?
Ok.
Not exactly in town where I live (need to search in college town when school year start), but there is a shop offering basic selection of massage equipment, so Ill head there. But I doubt itll be offered when I cant find it in e-shops…[/quote]

oe
Be ready to pay some shipping :wink:

Well thats what I dont want to, but have bad feeling that will be the only way to get it.:confused:
Anyway, I tried several with that pipe. Tensor Fascia Latae and Iliotibial Band rolling- fuck, it hurts as hell:D

Then just tough it out with the pvc pipe, it gets easier the more you do it.
Besides if you do it consistently you would end up needing a pvc pipe anyway…

All right then, thank you.

PVC pipe sounds like a good idea. I’ve been using a foam roller at my gym and it just doesn’t compare to the tennis ball. My only problem with the tennis ball is that it’s more difficult and time consuming to cover the legs and calves.

I’ve currently got a weak glute medius and I get knotted up in there leading to lower back pain if I over-use it. I swear by the tennis ball. A minute or two of painfull rolling and I’m much better.

Have two tennis balls at work (one for feet, one for back) and two at home. They’re great, and extremely portable.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
PVC pipe sounds like a good idea. I’ve been using a foam roller at my gym and it just doesn’t compare to the tennis ball. My only problem with the tennis ball is that it’s more difficult and time consuming to cover the legs and calves.

I’ve currently got a weak glute medius and I get knotted up in there leading to lower back pain if I over-use it. I swear by the tennis ball. A minute or two of painfull rolling and I’m much better.

Have two tennis balls at work (one for feet, one for back) and two at home. They’re great, and extremely portable.[/quote]

For me the easiest way to do calves is with a rolling pin with my leg elevated a bit. Works wonders.

[quote]samorost wrote:
omg…mistake, sorry
[/quote]

y is your name not minsc.

Foam rollers, use em, love em, and the stiffer and harder the better. I use my roller after almost every work out to relax, and some times I will use it while I watch tv (might as well do some thing semi productive other than sit on my ass).

And I fully agree with kingbeef323, only time I ever felt pain doing it was at the very beginning, now I find it quite relaxing and pleasurable.

i have a roller and a thera cane–I dont use them as much as i should. And if you think foam rollers hurt, try trigger point work. the best book on the subject is by clair davies-see the link below

-g

You know it! I too have a black dense foam roller at home (so does my gym) and a lax ball for those pin-point areas.

Lots of people have asked me at the gym what it’s for and why I’m doing it. Someone even thought it was a ‘core’ exercise. lol (foam rolling that is)

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
samorost wrote:
omg…mistake, sorry

y is your name not minsc.[/quote]

just because it is samorost:)
dont try to kill me Sarevok, Boo would revenge me…

wow i did smr for the first time in my life, when i put it on the front and back of my legs i was almost in tears lol i am a helluva alot tighter then i thought.

[quote]samorost wrote:
Sarev0k wrote:
samorost wrote:
omg…mistake, sorry

y is your name not minsc.

just because it is samorost:)
dont try to kill me Sarevok, Boo would revenge me…

[/quote]

And how did you manage to sneak boo in your cell again…?

It hurts so good…

I really need to get consitant with it.

I am glad that I read this post, I thought that foam rolling was along the same lines as bousu balls. I am just a dumb meathead I guess, but my back is knotted up all the time and my hips are constantly sore too from squats. I am buying a roller this weekend and hopefully I can get some of the knots out of my back.