Do I Have Good Bodybuilding Potential? 5’9" 155-160

I knew I had good genetics at least for strength bc the first time I tried lifting weights, I could squat my bodyweight on the bar (45kg at the time), deadlift 60kg and bench the bar

I managed to get up to get my deadlift 85kg and bench up to 35kg after 3 months even though I was not following a program and my idea of “rest between set” was the time it took to change plates

1 Like

I’ve seen your recent progress pic. Looking lean and jacked IMO.

I do think that the years of doing it thing is missed by a lot of newer lifters. I think the stuff out there that says you gain X in the first year, .5X the year after, .25X the following kinda throws people off. That may be true if you did everything right, but very few do. I trained terribly (I trained hard, but basically did all isolation lifts for the beach brah) for 8 years and made X progress, then I got into compound lifts and powerlifting, and made at least X gains over the last 5 years.

Do you think he’s proving the haters wrong?

I think he’s back giving cool whip a good thrashing in the mornings and blaming his genetics.

1 Like

I think so too. Either way I’m not gonna be this cry baby’s Obi Wan. He seriously needs to start listening to some self help shit or something.

2 Likes

What😂. When did I every say my genetics were superior? I asked because i simply wanted to know if I had a. Good base or not. Now I know my answer, I don’t even know why people are still commenting on the post tbh. Everyone’s gotta chill goddamn

I think @Andrewgen_Receptors was saying that supercardrives would blame the results of all successful lifters on genetics rather than years of hard work and discipline. Which really is the crux of this whole thread to me. I suspect what you’re actually asking is whether it’s possible for you to look good by the pool and the answer is a resounding yes. You have the potential to look better with your shirt off than anyone you are likely to meet in your life, you just have to be willing to make the sacrifices needed to do that. Is it worth that to you?

2 Likes

I had no idea. That’s petty cool. I knew we had a couple natural pros though

I really like this.

I think I was at least 35 before all of that babble started.

1 Like

Wouldn’t you intuitively know that there were genetic freaks in all sports, even on high school? I sure did.

Sure we were taught that hard work was required to be successful in any endeavor.

Nope. “Gifted” is what we called them. But I also went to a small enough high school that even I got to be on the varsity wrestling team…because I filled the weight class.

2 Likes

For sure. Pwn linked to one guy. And Gifted ended up being Brandon “2019 Mr. O” Curry. Kinda cool his last post on the site was a bit of solid advice and, ha, a TN shoutout.

Great to hear. What plan of action did you decide on? When’s your next workout and what’ll it be?

1 Like

I had a far worse starting point than you when I was 18. I made it work for myself. You’ll be alright.

@T3hPwnisher one of these days the mods will figure out why OP’s can never see your posts. It’s definitely a technical issue and definitely not anything about selective listening on the part of the OP.

2 Likes

To further the list of accomplishments, t-nation also housed an American deadlift record holder in George Leeman as @Uber_N3wb

@flipcollar Man, I hope so! I feel bad for the dude: he’s looking for a training program and diet, and I’m offering him one for free and he can’t even see the post to be able to collect on the offer.

8 Likes

I went to highschool with 3 guys that went to the NFL. One of them was Calvin Johnson.

3 Likes

Man, I’d forgotten about Leeman. That dude was… something.

EDIT: Is he dead yet? I feel like he’s definitely a die-very-early candidate, if he hasn’t already.

I’m reading it now. 100 posts in and it’s a bunch of folks complaining the substances the most jacked 19-year-old I’ve ever seen admitted to using may or may not meet the precise definition of “steroid”.
Go Internet!

6 Likes

I never, not even once, saw anybody stomp off the mat mid match blaming their genetics though.

2 Likes

I never “stomped” off the stage when someone with greater genetics than me defeated me. I just don’t see the connection with what acknowledgement of different genetic potential has to do with throwing in the towel in disgust. I am a competitor, not a cry baby.

3 Likes

You have identified the key difference here.

5 Likes