Do I Have Good Bodybuilding Potential? 5’9" 155-160

John, why do you keep asking all these questions?

How about this, are you satisfied with the way you look or not?

I’m being sarcastic dude. You’re posts are kinda annoying, asking the dumbest questions that don’t even matter, and you’re not even going to go to the gym. This is just a giant waste of time.
I’m not sure what your end game is or if you’re just bored and need someone to talk to but this whole thread is dumb. I don’t foresee anyone else answering you serious because you’ve already been told ALL the correct answers Atleast 3 times at this point.

You look fine. If you wanna look bigger then follow the advice or countless other people

2 Likes

Oh damn alright

I think that weird glitch is happening again where everyone BUT the topic creator can see my posts. Damndest thing

8 Likes

I’m gonna need you to hold up a shoe for reference mate, can you post another picture holding one? Its the only definitive way to know

Yeah. Two arms, two legs, torso between. Doesnt look like you’ve ever missed a meal, nor are you fat.

You’re off to a good start. :+1:

You gotta be careful when you come onto posts like these man. I wouldn’t be too surprised of the glitches, that trojan virus askhole.exe is no joke.

1 Like

I believe you have your answer here.

2 Likes

I only just saw this. I’m gonna share a little something with you. @T3hPwnisher has often said he has average (or potentially below average) genetics. Go and look at that dude. Tell me you don’t want to look like that? Dam I want to look like that! The guy is a machine. And could easily pop up on a stage with very little prep and place somewhere respectable.
Still unmotivated? Because that look is within your reach.

Below average potential mixed with above average intensity will still result in you looking great.

I said it once I’ll say it again. Stop worrying and start lifting. Do Super Squats. And in 6 weeks time come back and ask more questions. This is about the best advice you’ll get.

FYI one of the best ways to stop feeling insecure is to actually achieve something note worthy. Something you can say - “that was hard but I did it”. In this way lifting weights is great. But remember - it is not the product (what you look like) that should make you less insecure. It is the process. The fact that this is hard. It does test you and you will want to give up at points. But by getting through the hard stuff you know that as a person you do not quit, you do not stop and you can do what others will not or can not.
This is where being secure in ones self comes from.

2 Likes

Very much appreciate all that dude!

I was thankfully fortunate enough to grow up in an era where we didn’t know about genetics and were led to believe that, if you trained really hard and ate really well, you’d get really big and strong.

Man, what a bunch of suckers!

2 Likes

That’s for what? Pointing out that you look like a work out REALLY hard and eat REALLY healthy? Credit where it is due.

Yeah - losers! I do not know why you try.

1 Like

Seeking validation online and making your decision to train or not based on some hypothetical genetic limits are terrible signs for your potential in bodybuilding. To be successful you have to be highly dedicated and self motivated. Even as a competitor you have to do 99.9% of the work with no one watching. Most likely, if you were going to go far and had good potential, you’d have started by putting in the work long before you went out seeking validation. For actual physique, everything is a weak point. You are a skinny teenager. You’d need to make some progress to seriously see muscle imbalances. Stop worrying about weak points and limits before you’ve even started your journey.

And get off my lawn.

Now that the reality check is out of the way, look at the bright side. You are 18. You are untrained. You aren’t fat. You’re joints are young. You can make god like progress if you put in some decent work consistently. Find some training style you like. Eat good protein and calories. Train hard with progression. And you literally have a decade plus of PRs at your fingertips. Life isn’t about the destination. It isn’t about reaching the limit. It’s about getting better over time. I have been seriously training for half a decade longer than you’ve been alive. Trust me, it’s about the progress. The little PRs. The extra rep you got. the looks you get by how much you’ve changed at family gatherings. Put your nose down and enjoy getting better than yesterday.

3 Likes

yes. now build on it and get to work.

3 Likes

That’s how I always saw it.

Assume good genetics → train hard.

If I didn’t assume good genetics, I’d find myself with another excuse as to why I’m not making progress. I have enough of them as it stands. I don’t need another one

3 Likes

I am convinced my success is due to me actually enjoying training. More than other activities for the most part. I know that is not everyone, but for me, it’s something I look forward to.

CT Fletcher had a good quote when someone asked him how he stays so motivated to workout as he gets older. It was something like “it’s similar to how smokers are motivated to smoke, I am addicted to training, no motivation needed”.

3 Likes

Nah, it’s definitely because of your starting point bro. You have great genetics so you never had to work for any of your muscle whatsoever - it just showed up after you did your first curl :muscle:
/s/

1 Like

Haha, I’ve kept training in spite of the results (or lack of). I do get results, just slowly, very slowly. It is weird. I think I have a decent ceiling, but I don’t get big or strong quickly, but I seem to steadily progress slowly, without plateauing much (which guys that seem to grow faster run into).

I think I have a stubborn body, which is both good and bad. It seems hard to gain and lose muscle if that makes sense. It likes it’s current state, and doesn’t want to change in regards to muscle. It’s bad, because it is hard to gain muscle, but good because even with years of lifting, I don’t lose much strength cutting.

1 Like

I was making my comment more as a shot at the OP (asking about potential) but I feel you. I think most people who have been doing this for a while end up getting to a point where their body’s “set point” is relatively jacked - so the muscle usually doesn’t just go away, or it does so very slowly. But a lot of us are at a point where there isn’t too much more muscle to be gained either.

A lot of us just turn out to be shockingly average on the genetics front. Then there’s people like the OP, or Supercar, would say our genetics are simply superior, so they don’t have to feel bad for not doing a fucking thing to improve.

This post started turning into a rant so I’ll see myself out lol

1 Like

John Meadows would say for the longest time people told him his genetics were poor for bodybuilding. He then mentioned that as he kept lifting over the years, that people started saying he had good genetics. Weird how that works.

4 Likes

Same. I have made a very slow general trend toward improving. Only I’ve done it for 23 years. I have terrible genetics for gaining muscle, I’m natty and probably to the point of real decreasing natural test, and yet I’m still doing rather well and have the best physique, strength, and health of my life. But it’s 23 years of consistency. That will never happen unless you love what your doing.

2 Likes