T Nation

Diet & Routine Around Hockey

Over the last 2 years i have been working out close to 6-7 days a week and it has really payed off for me. This past summer after school i put on 10 pounds of muscle and lost fat and i am hopefully on my way to a six pack. i workout 6 days a week and take one day off. For my diet i stuck to eating 75% of my carbs throughout the day before my wokrout and the other 25% after my workout, then just stuck to meat\fish fruits and vegtables after my workout as well.

recently i have made a junior a hockey team. i will b playing hockey pretty well everyday. this will b a huge increase in cardio then i am use to. because of hockey i will only b able to workout 5 days a week how should i break down my training and wich muscle groupings should i do?

Another concern i have is due to the increase in cardio i am worried that that amount of size and muscle i have been able to gain i do not want to loose. so how should i change up my diet? Any and all suggestions would b great, thanks

Congrats on the junior team! Does your coach not have a plan for training during the season? Usually it’s not that much so that you’re not interfering with your ice time. My boy plays five days a week and that alone is brutal. He is given training both in season and off season by his coaches that is meant only to improve hockey performance, not any other goals.

ya i dn what the team training will b but it will mostly b more cardio core and legs. like i really wanna try and keep up and or improve my upper body. outside of my training over the summer i did hockey training ie. fast feet sprints etc.

I’m not sure that you’ll want to train wit weights for 5 days a week during your hockey season. During your hockey season hockey ability and playing hockey should be your number 1 priority. Gaining strength and size should come second and it is more realistic to just maintain what size and strength you have. You may lean down a bit because of the extra cardio that you’ll be doing though so that’s a bonus.

For a weights program to follow in season look into 5/3/1 and do weights 2-3 times per week. Kim Wendler outlines training for during the season in his e-book so you should buy that.

Dude, lifting 5 days a week inseason is not going to happen. If you want to be an athlete, start training like one. You shouldn’t be training like a bodybuilder (i suspect this is what you’re doing, since you lift 6 days a week and asked about body pairings).

Personally, I lift twice a week when I am inseason. This seems to be the norm for most athletes. You can do this 2 ways, either have 1 lower body day (also do ab work on this day) and 1 upper body day (pushing and pulling exercises), or do 2 full body days (1 lower body lift, 1 push, and 1 pull).

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Dude, lifting 5 days a week inseason is not going to happen. If you want to be an athlete, start training like one. You shouldn’t be training like a bodybuilder (i suspect this is what you’re doing, since you lift 6 days a week and asked about body pairings).

Personally, I lift twice a week when I am inseason. This seems to be the norm for most athletes. You can do this 2 ways, either have 1 lower body day (also do ab work on this day) and 1 upper body day (pushing and pulling exercises), or do 2 full body days (1 lower body lift, 1 push, and 1 pull).[/quote]

This is realistic. I can see five days off season but not during.

yeah everything ur saying makes sense i just wanted to see what your opinions would be and what u said is correct think ill just try and train 3 days a week