Decent Program Outline

This always fascinates me: the person who “wants feedback” on the template, but bristles when someone else posts that they would change something, and the OP comes back with “Hey man, I’m not here for you to tell me what works for you, just give me feedback on my template.” That is feedback on your template, lol. What you really want is usually to be told that your template looks good, but most people here have said “Not really, here’s what I would do instead.”

Skyzyk has given productive feedback to that end.

Tepford’s suggestion of a PPL is also a nice idea.

If you aren’t interested in that advice, why bother soliciting feedback? Just start a training log and say “Here’s what I’m going to do.”

4 Likes

I’m with everyone else that you could follow a more traditional program and get FAR better strength and muscle gain results
You mentioned you want to be in the gym more often to avoid becoming an alcoholic so maybe that is your primary goal. To that I can’t offer any advice or criticism other than do it and share your results. Like someone else mentioned in that case you wouldn’t necessarily need to post in the bigger stronger leaner forum asking for opinions but instead start a log with a more rounded story. Anyways, its always interesting to see how others cope
As far as your actual workout template it seems too congested for me personally and may lead to not being able to fully recover. IMO, if you’re going to lay something like this out I’d include your level of perceived intensity on specific exercises rather than weight lifted by “x” amount of reps. I hope you’re not going balls to the wall on every exercise listed

1 Like

because i didn’t ask for what he does. I just asked if the template was decent, a no would suffice. I’m putting everyones opinion into consideration that isn’t telling me to just completely throw my goal away of going to the gym as much as possible because i clearly stated that… I lifted 3 days a week for months and added over 100 pounds to my squat but my physique took a nose dive. I did the wendlers 5/3/1 for multiple cycles and gained strength all around. I understand, that as a lifter, small gradual gains are what counts. but you’re right i was hoping someone was gonna tickle my balls a little and tell me congrats cause i took a week trying to get this all figured out and into one program. so just telling me to toss makes me want to work harder to prove some wrong. i appreciate everyones time that actually is not being a ass and giving their opinions though. thanks boss

will do. but no i’m taking it pretty easy to get my body used to this volume and the amount of stress it’ll cause. I’m going to make it into a log though, i have a good friend lifting with me and he is more pumped about this program than me haha. i hope it works

1 Like

So I used to enjoy going nearly every day, I “built” my own split and it went a lil’ somethin like this:

Day 1/Monday - Shoulders
Day 2/Tuesday - Back Squat
Day 3/Wednesday - Chest
Day 4/Thursday - Back
Day 5/Friday - Front Squat
Day 6/Saturday- Full Body, super light, pump work
Day 7/Sunday - Off, eat copious amounts of food

Now I am not saying this is superior to a tried and true Wendler or CT program (because it is most definitely not, ha), but this worked for me for a long time, I really enjoyed it, built a good amount of muscle (in my opinion). I was lucky and feel that I was able to instinctively regulate myself pretty well, but that was the break out that I found left me feeling pretty good throughout the week, albeit ready for a break come Sunday. I did heavy back squats, heavy deadlifts, and heavy front squats (relatively) each week. Like I said, I would recommend a solid program, but that’s not what you’re looking for, so here is what I have found works, best of luck with all of it, boyo!

2 Likes

A tried and true program is typically the best route but you CAN make any program work
If you are dead set on doing what you put together try as hard to pull from what makes other programs successful; progressive overload!
If you get that right you WILL be successful (assuming diet and rest are adequate)
Make sure to spend a bit more time to go over your program in advance and know where your driving to progress and where you’re possibly just training the movement patterns or “throttling back”
I’ll follow along. I’d prefer to see where you’re specific to mention if you’re training to a 9 or 10 for perceived intensity or 6 or 7 on other days
Like I said; I do not think you can go max out day in and day out on this setup

2 Likes

One other suggestion is that I’d vary your rep ranges more than what you’ve setup
I think they’re too much the same

1 Like

good to know it worked for you! some people I’ve met think its unthinkable to be in the gym more than 4 hours a week. but i know multiple people that go every day and it shows.

diet is pretty good… i’ll put a post up about my daily rituals eventually but i eat really clean. sleep is for the most part good but there are days where i feel like laying in bed and missing PT. I will for sure put that info out tomorrow when i deadlif. but do you think i should vary it on my main lifts or all my assistance work?

Both. I like Chad Waterburys theory of using heavy loads and getting 24-48reps for Hypertrophy
I go 8-10 sets of 3 on the basics one day and 4 sets of 6-12 on the next day (building from 6 to 12 and add weight after getting all reps at 12)
For assistance work you can play with whatever range you like but I personally would vary it a little at least

Yeah a little variance is good, make sure your core lifts that you want to improve have some sort of progression scheme to them, but other than that the assistance work is simply that assistance and you have a lot more leeway with how you program and implement them.

Decided to move into deadlifts this morning. Little slow starting up but overall it was a productive quick day.
Deadlift 265 3x6. I felt like I could of pulled 265 12 times sumo without the belt today
5/3/1 press 110 x 9. this was the hardest thing i did by far
Lateral raises 25 x 10 easy
25 x 10 easy
30 x 10 medium
20 x 20 hard
Pussy fuckers 70 x 10 hard
70 x 10 medium
70 x 12 medium
70 x 12 medium

Weighed in at 169 pounds today. Today was the latest i slept in in over a month. woke up at 9:30, ate a bowl of kashi go lean toasted berry crisp with half a cup of chocolate soy milk and a handful of pumpkin seeds post workout
50 carbs, 20 fat, 20 protein.
While lifting i drank 1 scoop of BPI best bcaa’s with a half serving of animal pak powder.
post workout i had a piece of dark low sugar chocolate, 6 ounces of ground turkey, one serving of brussel sprouts and 150 grams of full fat yogurt.
est 10 carbs 20 fat 40 protein
. i’m going to eat again in about 1 hour, and i will eat 3 toasted provolone and smoked turkey fried in butter sandwiches, a kiwi and a shit ton of spinach. guessing it’ll be like
150 carbs, 20 fat 40 protein
tonight i will cook up a 14 oz sweet potato cooked in coconut oil, some wild salmon, and fresh green beans with garbanzos beans. est
150 carbs 20 fat 50 protein. totals
360 carbs, 80 fat, 150 protein.

this morning for PT we did sprints. shitty warmup had me feeling like i fucked my ankle. wasn’t bad at all and didn’t even break a sweat, i’ll never be a sprinter.
Front squats were a little too light, but i feel like starting like this will give me time to get really good at them? thinking about throwing away a deadlift day for straight leg deads
155 5x5 front easy

dumbell bench 45x 12
55x10
65x10 easy
75x9.5 got me struggling
75x8 was pooped at this point

lunges (w/ pre weighted curl bar, each leg) 70 x 12 easy
80 x 12 ehhh
80 x 12 fuck
80 x 12 why do i train legs??

face pulls 10 x 15
15x 15
20 x 15
25 x 12 all easy, i think of this more as a stretch then a lift

for abs i did hanging knee raises then threw in some baseball swings. nothing too crazy. just tried to get my core tight then left

Finally hit the ripe old of age of drinking in the states! For my birthday present we road in a mtvr cargo without a top to and from the gym for PT. Ran the pfa, push ups and sit ups were eh but got a 9:28 mile and a half. Today’s lifting session felt like it was missing something, but it wasn’t too bad
Deficit deadlift 5x5 225 (felt it in my upper back a shit ton. but it all went up so so easy)
pull ups 10
+20 x 5 easy
+35 x 4 medium
+45 x 4 hard af
+20 x 8 hard
one leg leg press 6 x 110 medium
10 x 110 easy
10 x 120 medium
10 x 125 medium
15 x 130 hard

Thinking of how to move around the main lifts… might drop a set every 3 weeks as a deload then ramp it up 10 pounds the next week… thinking i need more volume. overall i’m sore, but after two or three more weeks i should be pretty accustomed to this style. psyched to finish up my first week tomorrow. no shit i feel like my legs have gotten much bigger in the last two months of me lifting without a program.

pt sucked today. felt like ass all day ] until i hit the gym. week one done, time to get it.
Bench 180 x 9 pretty rough
seated military dumbbell 40 x 10 easy
50 x 8 easy
60 x 6 medium
70 x 4 hard as hell
55 x 8 medium
For biceps just did a bunch of hammer curls and curls. got a good ass pump, felt good to fuck around and let off some steam
face pulls 30 x 15 easy
30 x 20 easy
40 x 15 easy
40 x 15 medium

Today was a long and stressful day. didn’t spend much time in the gym and skipped some shit, but i killed squats and easily could of did 10 more sets, sucks training with restraint. had my buddy watch my form and said i easily got below parallel even though i didn’t want to be, but it still felt fantastic
Beltless squats 6 sets of 3 x 240

Back ext 12 easy
4 sets of 12 + 20 medium

Lunges 25 ( a fucking bird flew in the gym and caught me off guard haha)
50 ehhh
60 fuckk my legs
52 never training legs again

pussy fuckers 3 sets of 12 x 70 easy
15 x 70 medium

I struggle with motivation to train core… I think on my deload week i’m going to drop 2 work sets, stall the 5 pound increase, and focus on my core

done posting accessories probably. I’m just going to focus on the main. yesterday i pendley rowed 175 x 10
today i deadlifted 270 x 6 sets of 3 sumo and military pressed 115 for 6

front squatted 160 5x5 which was easy as hell. hit a pr for dumbbell bench 90 x 3. think i’m going to bulk up some. gonna try for 190. most i’ve ever been was 181 so this should be fun