Daily Show Bit on Planet Fitness

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Hate them all you want but you don’t get to 400 locations without a successful business plan. Clearly a gym with a no-lunks policy is profitable.[/quote]

Of course…because it plays on stereotypes.

Most out of shape people fear going to the gym due to being stared at. Saying you are a place that kicks out the cute people will sound like heaven to those types.

However, those types exist because they don’t really have the drive to make major life changes. They are just looking for someone to comfort them.

The place itself isn’t what is hated. It is the very blatant attempt to make that point by forcing stereotypes that aren’t even true.

The truth is, the average guy who can get as big as the ones they use as parody in the commercials isn’t usually a complete moron who can’t speak…and they are also likely to help someone else out before they make fun of the fat guy.

You sure as hell won’t see me laughing at people in the gym for not being in shape. I don’t see anyone doing that actually.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Hate them all you want but you don’t get to 400 locations without a successful business plan. Clearly a gym with a no-lunks policy is profitable.[/quote]

Most out of shape people fear going to the gym due to being stared at. Saying you are a place that kicks out the cute people will sound like heaven to those types.

However, those types exist because they don’t really have the drive to make major life changes. They are just looking for someone to comfort them.

The place itself isn’t what is hated. It is the very blatant attempt to make that point by forcing stereotypes that aren’t even true.

The truth is, the average guy who can get as big as the ones they use as parody in the commercials isn’t usually a complete moron who can’t speak…and they are also likely to help someone else out before they make fun of the fat guy.

You sure as hell won’t see me laughing at people in the gym for not being in shape. I don’t see anyone doing that actually.[/quote]

great analysis X

I’m a little offended being called an animal to be put in a cage.

I wonder how many hard-training women have gotten lunked outta there?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I feel like if Nards’ head went on steroids, got a high and tight, and threw some glasses on… he’d look EXACTLY like that guy.[/quote]

I can understand that. Thing is I have quite a big head and have glasses, so you may get what you asked for!

I thought he looked like peter griffin.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I thought he looked like peter griffin. [/quote]

Then the transitive property of this doesn’t look good for me.

The biggest guys at my gym are the most helpful to anyone who asks them questions.

Problem, PF?

You sure as hell won’t see me laughing at people in the gym for not being in shape. I don’t see anyone doing that actually.[/quote]

Me either, but people in general seem to be terrified at the prospect of going to the gym and even more scared about not fitting in. I’ve known a few people that needed to join a gym to get some exercise and lose weight, and they’ve put off going until they can lose enough weight to go (if they could’ve lost that weight on their own, they wouldn’t be at the point where they needed a gym membership).

^ Crazy, but it seems like they hold themselves to an imagined standard of appearance before they feel worthy enough to join up. PF have tapped into that imagined standard and are blaming serious gymgoers by, as you said, fuelling the stereotype that big muscles = negative personality traits and portraying them as the same kind of muscle-bound bullies who used to kick sand in the faces of weeds in those old Charles Atlas magazine ads (except instead of encouraging the weeds to build themselves up, PF’s solution is banning the “bully” from the beach so the “weeds” can carry on as they were).

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Completely agreed… doesnt get any more truthier than this ^

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I thought he looked like peter griffin. [/quote]

Then the transitive property of this doesn’t look good for me.
[/quote]

hahaha

Top 8.3 Reasons to go to Planet Fitness. They had me at .3.

Anybody think it’s weird that the top reason to join Planet Fitness is so you can quit? They had me at .3.

And the antithesis.

that was some funny shit right there, thank you for posting that.

What gyms are people laughed at? (talking about that 8.3 video)

[quote]solidkhalid wrote:
What gyms are people laughed at? (talking about that 8.3 video)[/quote]

None. The truth is, most of the people I see in the gym lately aren’t in shape. That means who is laughing at the out of shape people?

This is crap out of shape people tell themselves because of their own lack of self esteem.

I would personally be worried about the fact that so few ever seem to graduate from “out of shape and worried about what people think”.

If this is becoming a place that out of shape people can continue to be out of shape, it is a night club…with tread mills and really unattractive bar maids.

10 dollars a month? Wow that’s the cheapest gym membership I ever heard of. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t get through a serious leg day without having that lunk alarm going off right and left though.

[quote]Rodimus Black wrote:

[/quote]

Meh… I can understand the guy getting upset, but that was just disgraceful. Planet Fitness advertises in big shiny letters that this is a gym for people who don’t train hard or make noise, so what’s the point in joining in the first place if you are a more serious type. Maybe he couldn’t resist the 10 dollar monthly fee. lol

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:

[quote]Rodimus Black wrote:

[/quote]

Meh… I can understand the guy getting upset, but that was just disgraceful. Planet Fitness advertises in big shiny letters that this is a gym for people who don’t train hard or make noise, so what’s the point in joining in the first place if you are a more serious type. Maybe he couldn’t resist the 10 dollar monthly fee. lol[/quote]

I had to laugh at him throwing the dumbbell at the mirror. And it bouncing off.