CT Prime Time 8/23 and 8/25

[quote]popilek wrote:
Christian, how often can your 8 weeks to a record bench be perfomred? For example would 8 weeks to a record bench and then 4 weeks of westside and then 8 weeks to a record bench be ok?[/quote]

I wouldn’t recommend it. Both the 8 weeks program and Westside are hard on the CNS. After the 8 week program you’ll need to switch things around to allow your CNS to recover. 2 weeks of “bodybuilding-type” training should be used then back to a “powerbuilding” (basic lifts such as squat, dead, bench, row, military press, chins performed for sets of 4-6 reps but with a low training volume) for 4 weeks. Then you can go back to Westside or start a new 8 weeks program.

Hey CT,

I am planning my off season training at the moment and was after your thoughts on this.

Bascially 3 full body sessions per week and using the power continuum as a guide.

For example
weeks 1-3
Mon: Eccentric
Wed: Iso
Fri: Concenetric

weeks 4-6
Mon: St-speed
Wed: Iso

weeks 7-9
Mon: St-speed
Wed: Sp-Strength

and so on. Moving left or right along the continuum encompassing 3 side by side strength qualities.

hi ct
just to let you now im 3 days out
feeling like azombi without the carbs{40-50- grams today:(
need some help mentaly…
draeming about friday and the sugary food:) its so unnatraul to train without almost no carbs…
bty-2 quick qustins

1}some guys i showed the picking schdule says its realy extreme and that most bodybuilders strart the re-loading of the carbs 2 days befroe and not just 0.5 day before{5-midnight}why did thay say this? i said you are the best and im going with you but what is the logic bheind the schdule?

2}thay also say that the sugar is bad…
and that yams and baked potoato is beeter?agin what is the logic behind that?

any way im going by what you said and write for me…pray for me i will let you now how it was in sunaday morning!
whatever happend agin alot of thanks on all the help…

Hi CT

Just wondering if you have any pure olympic lifting programs with a sole purpose of adding functional hypertrophy.

Any guidance with respect to sets, reps, exercises and 1RM % would be great.

I know this is general, but I feel any advice or direction you offer would be a great help.

Thanks for your time mate

Cheers

Stevo

[quote]amitsapir wrote:

1}some guys i showed the picking schdule says its realy extreme and that most bodybuilders strart the re-loading of the carbs 2 days befroe and not just 0.5 day before{5-midnight}why did thay say this? i said you are the best and im going with you but what is the logic bheind the schdule?
[/quote]

Extreme??? It’s actually much “safer” than a regular loading in that you are much less likely to fuck up your physique by overloading and spilling water.

Why load for 2-3 days? Your body can only store approxmately 500g of carbs. Once your muscles are full you cannot “cram” anything more in them and the excess is likely to cause water retention or even be stored as body fat.

With the type of schedule I send you , you are basically eating as much carbs over 7 hours as you would in a 2 days period. Thus you will fill up your glycogen stores either way.

There is also much less chance of spilling over (retaining water).

The only trouble might be filling out your muscles properly (ingesting enough carbs) that’s why, if you feel flat in the morning you should eat some pancakes with syrup at breakfast. If you are full, just eat a regular breakfast.

Everybody loads for 2-3 days? Not so! Many top guys use the same method as I mentioned. Do a web search for “shit loading” and you should find some info and feedback about it.

[quote]amitsapir wrote:
2}thay also say that the sugar is bad…
and that yams and baked potoato is beeter?agin what is the logic behind that?
[/quote]

Yams will not fill out glycogen stores fast enough. They might be fine for a “traditional” loading of 2-3 days since you don’t have time against you. But when you need to fill out in 7 hours you should go with high glycemic carbs (same logic as using high glycemic carbs post-workout).

Thing about it… when did you ever look your best? Chances are that it was the day AFTER you ate everything you desired AFTER your competitions. Many competitors wake up the day after a show and think “damn, if ONLY I had looked this good on stage!”.

Think about it another way. When you use a low carbs diet, how do you look the day after a cheat day? Pretty amazing right … full, vascular, tight. Well that’s basically what you are doing: having one big cheat day so that you can look amazing on stage!

BTW, go to a big pro show like the Olympia, and the night before the show you’ll see a lot of guys walking around with peanut butter and jelly jars!

[quote]amitsapir wrote:
any way im going by what you said and write for me…pray for me i will let you now how it was in sunaday morning!
whatever happend agin alot of thanks on all the help…[/quote]

The method is effective and WILL work IF you eat enough carbs at night… extend it to 2-3am if you need to fill out a bit more (so from 5pm to 2-3am). Te worst thing you can do is become afraid of holding water and gaining fat and NOT EATING ENOUGH CARBS. If you do this you WILL come in flat the next morning.

Also, go easy on the diuretics. Most of the time, if you are flat it’s because your muscles en emptied out of their water stores.

It’s almost impossible to design a peaking procedure for someone you don’t know. So what I gave you is a general “program”. It should produce amazing results (you’ll probably be surprised about how you look the day of the show) but you’ll need to be smart about this.

AND MOST OF ALL, don’t let what the other guys say get into your head.

If you want to use the olympic lifts to gain size you should respect the following parameters:

Exercises = simpler variations of the lifts (power clean from hang, power clean from blocks, power snatch from hang, power snatch from blocks, push press, push jerk)

Reps = 4-6 reps per set

Sets = 3-5 sets per exercise

Exercise number = 3-4 per workout

Rest intervals = 90-120 seconds between sets

I would recommend using 2 pull emphasis days (snatch/clean) and 2 push emphasis days (press/jerk).

Something like:

DAY 1
A. Power snatch from blocks
B. Power clean from hang
C. Romanian deadlift
D. Power shrugs

DAY 2
A. Push jerk
B. Bench press
C. Military press
D. Incline dumbell press

DAY 3
A. Power snatch from hang
B. Power clean from blocks
C. Back squat
D. Barbell rowing

DAY 4
A. Push press
B. Decline press
C. Seated dumbbell press

[quote]stevenscherlock wrote:
Hi CT

Just wondering if you have any pure olympic lifting programs with a sole purpose of adding functional hypertrophy.

Any guidance with respect to sets, reps, exercises and 1RM % would be great.

I know this is general, but I feel any advice or direction you offer would be a great help.

Thanks for your time mate

Cheers

Stevo[/quote]

[quote]ELGRANPAPI wrote:
Hey CT,
I jsut wanted to know if you will be comming up with any new books I have purchased 2 of them The Black Book of Training Secrets and Modern Strength & Power Methods. I really enjoyed the read even tough it was a bit hard giving the fact that im kind of new to lifting (seriously), I’ve been lifting a long time but just discovered T-amg just recently and you know the rest. well anyways I want to read a bit more I really think you are the best streanth coach around and you have help me gain some muscle mass. Well we all want to gain muscle girls love that. [/quote]

Well thank you for your kind words. You are right in the regard that you should learn as much as you can.

However I’m not sure about being the best in the world. I do my best to stay in the top 10 :wink:

As for a new book, yes that is in the works. I have completed 8 chapters, but still got a way to go. Things have been crazy around here so it’s not my primary project right now. It will be a much more practical book than the other ones. It will describe, step by step, how to build effective programs (and will give sample programs).

Great thanks for the pointers. I’ll start doing that right away.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
This is nothing to be ashamed of! Start off slowly. You can use the Fartlek approach. Alternatre between periods of steady-state low intensity work and shorter bursts of higher intensity work.

Start slowly … only perform the “bursts” when you feel comfortable and don’t go too fast. Gradually (over time) increase the frequency and intensity of the bursts.

You can also look into sled dragging.

Todd S. wrote:
I feel almost ashamed to even ask this…

I have been trying your running man article, but I am in horrible condition. I get so tired I can’t even make myself sprint. So I pretty much stopped that for now and I’ve been doing sprints.

Is there a preferred method for increasing my conditioning? Should I stick with a slow pace and try to do a mile, then try to keep increasing the time? Should I go faster and then try to go farther each time?

Any advice for an out of shape slug is appreciated…

[/quote]

If you had a client who’s looking to become a model, but he’s only been working out for a year. What kind of routine would you prescribe to him? Would the rep/sets/tempo change?

I figured you would give him a routine to reach max hypertrophy only, and since he’s a beginner AofW would do. But I wasn’t sure if all those dedlifts and compound movements would be ideal for models.
Thanks!
Retail

It really depends on what he looks like and what type of modeling he wants to get into.

Models should look for:

1. Definition: don’t wanna be bodybuilder cut. Nice abs, clear chest, shoulders and arms definition.

2. Balance: The most important thing for a male model is to look aesthetic. Not bulky, and not have one freaky body part. The look should have nice lines … wide shoulders, narrow waist and hips, muscular legs but not overly bulky. Think long and fluid. No body part should be neglected, even claves are of a prime importance.

3. Size: Shoot for a body that is lean and muscular but not overly so. The look of tennis player Rafael Nadal is a good example.

I would use a basic bodybuilding routine, training mostly in the hypertrophy zone (8-12 reps) with some work in the functional hypertrophy zone (6-8 reps) and strength-endurance zone (12-20 reps).

The deadlift and squat are good exercises, but the deadlift is probably not necessary in his case. I’d keep the squats though.

Remember that even if you are trying to develop an aesthetic physique the “principles” of correct training and the training program should be just as grueling and the effort just as intense as that of a competitive bodybuilder or athlete.

[quote]retailboy wrote:
If you had a client who’s looking to become a model, but he’s only been working out for a year. What kind of routine would you prescribe to him? Would the rep/sets/tempo change?

I figured you would give him a routine to reach max hypertrophy only, and since he’s a beginner AofW would do. But I wasn’t sure if all those dedlifts and compound movements would be ideal for models.
Thanks!
Retail
[/quote]

BTW, a model should still stick to the basics in the 6-8 rep zone:

• Bench press
  • Barbell rowing
  • Pull-ups
  • Shoulder press
  • Back squat

Then include some assistance work in the 8-12 rep zone:

• Incline dumbbell press
  • Seated rowing
  • Lat pull down
  • Leg press
  • Leg curl
  • Biceps curls (with bar, various types)
  • Triceps extensions (with bar or dumbbells, various types)
  • Standing and seated calves

And finally some auxilary work in the 12-20 reps zone:

• Cable flies
  • 1 arm dumbbell rowing
  • Leg extension
  • 1 leg curl
  • Lateral raises
  • Biceps curl (with machine or cable)
  • Triceps extension (with cable)

The LAST THING he should worry about is gaining too much muscle. Heck, gaining 15lbs in a year is darn good! And even if he gains too fast, he can always reduce his weight training at that point, but not before.

[quote]retailboy wrote:

Thanks!
Retail
[/quote]

Hey CT! Had a couple more questions as usual! Haha

1)I was wondering if the block training system was the only type of periodization you incorported? (Excluding the conjugate method).

1. Which book of yours would you recommend for learning more about all your periodization models?

2. Is there still a discount available on your dvd? I plan to purchase it soon.

3. Whats your take on and undulating Conjugate?

E.G

Mon: 5x3 For the whole body (Strength)
wED: 4x10 or 5x5 whole body (Hypertrophy)
fRI: 8X3 for the whole body (Power)

Progress with adding sets, weight or denisty.

Is there any chance that you will publish an article on your periodization models? or at least on your wavelike conjugate model. I am sure everyone would find it a treat! =)

Well Thanks for your time CT. Much is appreciated.

Wow, Thanks for the comprehensive and detailed responce. Yes he was going for more of the Ambercrombie look, Rafael Nadal was a great example of it.
Thank so much!
Retail

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
BTW, a model should still stick to the basics in the 6-8 rep zone:

• Bench press
  • Barbell rowing
  • Pull-ups
  • Shoulder press
  • Back squat

Then include some assistance work in the 8-12 rep zone:

• Incline dumbbell press
  • Seated rowing
  • Lat pull down
  • Leg press
  • Leg curl
  • Biceps curls (with bar, various types)
  • Triceps extensions (with bar or dumbbells, various types)
  • Standing and seated calves

And finally some auxilary work in the 12-20 reps zone:

• Cable flies
  • 1 arm dumbbell rowing
  • Leg extension
  • 1 leg curl
  • Lateral raises
  • Biceps curl (with machine or cable)
  • Triceps extension (with cable)

The LAST THING he should worry about is gaining too much muscle. Heck, gaining 15lbs in a year is darn good! And even if he gains too fast, he can always reduce his weight training at that point, but not before.

retailboy wrote:

Thanks!
Retail

[/quote]

Coach Thibaudeau,

I have been training the full olympic lifts for about half a year and I am going to enter my first USAW competition approximately 8 1/2 weeks from now. My weak points are leg and shoulder strength; they are weak because I am very light (only 175 pounds at 6’). What would be a good program to gain some bodyweight and strength while also gaining some ground in the competition lifts?

Thank you for your time,

Ross Hunt

Just going to Bump this question for tonights session. Thanks a lot for your time CT.

[quote]Tags wrote:
Thanks a lot for the reply. How soon should I start doing this? Tonight for instance? lol

If it is not too much trouble could you provide just a general guideline as to what his hamstring wokouts were like/how they were structured, just to get an idea?

Also, how was running integrated back into his “rehab” plan?

Thanks a lot, as you can tell I am very anxious about this subject as getting on the field is of utmost importance.

Pat Battaglia

[/quote]

CT, you had mentioned in iso-ballistic jump squats in article some time ago. So I performed them with a 12-sec pause at the bottom of a FULL SQUAT. They were incredibly hard, but felt great. I recently bought your modern strength book and saw that youre supposed to only go down a quarter of the way. Was what I did bad? Would it offer any advantage of putting the pause at the bottom of an oly squat? I know that its a heck of a lot harder!

Let’s bring it on again!

Christian

In the overhead press workout you posted for RITJared you have lockouts in the power rack for held for a count.

I am to tall to use the rack I would end up doing about a quarter press and then hold which would restrict the weight I use. Any alternatives?

CT:

Hold-over from yesterday…

1. In terms of using the E-Z Curl bar vs. the Straight Barbell for Triceps presses; which is “better”? Or is it all a question of wrist comfort? (Note: I see that Christiane is using the Straight Barbell in the Video shots you posted).

2. What do you consider the best mass builder for triceps?

Thanks for all you do, Coach!

Mufasa

This drill should be used to develop vertical power and it has the greatest carryover if you use the same squating depth as when you are performing a vertical jump OR a depth that mimmicks the hip and knee angle of the starting position of the sport of choice (only applicable to athletes performing in sports where a dead start is involved).

What you did wasn’t bad at all, in fact it will even be effective in building size on top of power. But for maximum power development we want to use a short range of motion so that initial acceleration will be maximal.

[quote]philco wrote:
CT, you had mentioned in iso-ballistic jump squats in article some time ago. So I performed them with a 12-sec pause at the bottom of a FULL SQUAT. They were incredibly hard, but felt great. I recently bought your modern strength book and saw that youre supposed to only go down a quarter of the way. Was what I did bad? Would it offer any advantage of putting the pause at the bottom of an oly squat? I know that its a heck of a lot harder![/quote]