CT Prime Time 8/23 and 8/25

Tonight I’ll be answering any training question you might have and will reveal the meaning of life.

Hi Coach Thibaudeau,

Does the following look on track?

Mon eccentric deadlift 120% 5x1 6 sec yielding 3min rest
Wed Jump deadlift 15% deadlift max 3x10-12
Fri RDL or seated good morning 3x6-8

I would like to work some other lifts with eccentrics, how many more bodyparts can I work this way without pushing the limit?

Thanks Coach

CT,

How wide should one’s stance be on sumo deads. Obviously too wide and you compromise any mechanical advantage - too narrow and you defeat the purpose of the lift. I ask because I strained my right glute/ham last night and I suspect that I was too wide.

thanks

Brian

Coach,

Is there ANY arm pull at all on the hanging snatch or is it all triple extension + shrug?

Thanks.

CT,

Would it be possible to get sample routines for the non-shoulder days in your Shoulders Overhaul program? i think i have a pretty good idea but i would like to see what you would recommend. if this is asking too much, just tell me and i will shut about (about this at least). thanks.

CT:

I am wondering what do you fee the best overall shoulder exercise is for hypertrophy. Thanks

Hey Coach,
In one of your posts a while ago you explained how to incorporate the conjugate method with intensification and accumulation blocks. Unfortunately I can’t find that post! would it be possible for you to explain it again in a manner that would help an athlete?
cheers
Jamie bain

to the previous questionare: deadlifts… :stuck_out_tongue: if you have to choose one single exercise. My guess is that CT will agree with me.

to CT: Hey! great that you take the time to answer different questions here. I’m quite the beginner when it comes to serious training, I have always done some sort of training, but was in the “too much muscle will make me too slow” cathegory and was afraid to put serious weights on.

After i started with heavy weights and more serious training (using a more serious program, writing a diary, diet…) I have had some nice gains, I just wanted to ask about what kind of progress is normal for beginners and more experienced lifters. Both in the training-volume, 1rm-strenght and physical muscle volum/lean mass.

I guess this is kind of a stupid question since it will vary from person to person, but can you give me a general idea on what a clean male can achieve pr year… I have heard estimates around 4kg lean mass pr year and 10-15-25% strenght gains. Any thoughts on this?

I feel almost ashamed to even ask this…

I have been trying your running man article, but I am in horrible condition. I get so tired I can’t even make myself sprint. So I pretty much stopped that for now and I’ve been doing sprints.

Is there a preferred method for increasing my conditioning? Should I stick with a slow pace and try to do a mile, then try to keep increasing the time? Should I go faster and then try to go farther each time?

Any advice for an out of shape slug is appreciated…

Hey CT. Thanks for the clear up. About that question: Xfactor88 wrote:
6) During the accumulation phase, where strength is just being maintained, would it be ok to add a set for the strength, or weight? (if possible)

What I mean by this, is, during the accumulation phase, where hypertrophy is targeted, would it be fine to add a set during the strength sessions? Or
do you recommend adding weight? If possible.

Also, do any of your articles go into detail about your conjugate wavelike phases (Accum/Intens). I would love to see an article on this.

This is kind of like your pendulum training?

What would you find more effective?, the wavelike conjugate periodization you suggested? Or for example, in a 3 days a week training, would it be more effective to devote 2 days to hypertrophy, 1 to strength, then vice versa the next week?

Thanks for your time and help. Much is appreciated CT.

Hi CT,

i have been using your “Different Destinations” for the last 8 months and have not yet reached a major sticking point.If i do not reach my goals for the week i just stick with the same weight for another week. This always works,then the next week i push past and add weight.

I have been doing 1x5 or 3x3 90-95%max ( i change between these 2 every three weeks)for squat,incline bench and chins or row.I do this 5x a week, it seems that this is just the right amount of work for me to gain functional strength while doing all of my boxing work.

I wish to start concentrating more on my dynamic speed strength levels. While i have been doing some dynamic work i have mainly focused on my functional strength.

I am aiming to reduce my normal workout to 1x3 90% max on all lifts and do 3x3 40-50% max with chains 5x aweek.

Can i do this much dynamic work so often even though i have reduced the amount and spread it over the week?

When you said in the article that the more times you train it is motor learning at its best, does this hold true for dynamic work?

I know there are better ways to construct a max effort/dynamic effort workout but that just would not fit well into my boxing workouts.

Your views would be most grateful CT.

[quote]basementD wrote:
Hi Coach Thibaudeau,

Does the following look on track?

Mon eccentric deadlift 120% 5x1 6 sec yielding 3min rest
Wed Jump deadlift 15% deadlift max 3x10-12
Fri RDL or seated good morning 3x6-8

I would like to work some other lifts with eccentrics, how many more bodyparts can I work this way without pushing the limit?

Thanks Coach

[/quote]

For the eccentric day do not use a set percentage. 120% is the most weight you should use on eccentrics. Start at 100% of your max (after a few warm-ups) and slowly work your way up, adding 5-10lbs per set until you reach the most weight you can handle in good form for a 6 seconds eccentric.

I do not suggest using a “body part” approach, but rather a lift approach. Using this method for the bench press and deadlift in one cycle would be good. You should perform both lifts on the same day. With 1-2 auxilary exercises performed in a “normal” manner.

It will obviously depend on your body structure. But normally I recommend NEVER bending the knees more than 90 degrees. A 90-110 degree knee angle seems to be best. More bent than that and you will not be in a strong biomechanical position. So adjust your width so that your knees are bent at 90-100 degrees in the starting position.

[quote]homer23 wrote:
CT,

How wide should one’s stance be on sumo deads. Obviously too wide and you compromise any mechanical advantage - too narrow and you defeat the purpose of the lift. I ask because I strained my right glute/ham last night and I suspect that I was too wide.

thanks

Brian[/quote]

Arm pull is involved in all olympic lifts. The problem is not arm pull it’s early arm pull! Because initiating the arm pull too early is a problem, many coaches assume that the arms should be passive. NOT SO! Yes the tiple extension and shrug are the main “power producers” in those lifts, but arm pull can account for 10-15% of the effort if used properly.

It should occur a about the same time as the powerful shrug (maybe a fraction of a second later) and the bar should NOT move forward when the arms come into play (i.e. no reverse curling).

[quote]homer23 wrote:
Coach,

Is there ANY arm pull at all on the hanging snatch or is it all triple extension + shrug?

Thanks.[/quote]

If performed properly; the push press.

[quote]deshawn wrote:
CT:

I am wondering what do you fee the best overall shoulder exercise is for hypertrophy. Thanks[/quote]

[quote]jcbainno7 wrote:
Hey Coach,
In one of your posts a while ago you explained how to incorporate the conjugate method with intensification and accumulation blocks. Unfortunately I can’t find that post! would it be possible for you to explain it again in a manner that would help an athlete?
cheers
Jamie bain[/quote]

No … it would be way too long :wink:

It’s simple really.

1. conjugate means training many physical capacities during the same period.

2. accumulation means performing a higher training volume with a lower average load. i.e. more emphasis on hypertrophy.

3. Intensification means performing at a higher level of average intensity but with a lower volume of work. i.e. more emphasis on strength

4. Explosion means a training block where strength-speed exercises are the focus.

So…

a) all three types of training (hypertrophy, strength, power) are trained during each training blocks.

b) the relative importance of the training volume devoted to each type of training will vary depending on the block.

Coach,

I’m an easy fatgainer, at 20% BF right now and doing TBT. What can I safely do as cardio to promote fat loss but not obstruct muscle gains at the same time?

HIIT? Long walks? Something else? Thanks for your time, seems like you have a busy night ahead :wink:

Hey CT,

Next week I plan on starting your Shoulders Overhaul program, and I have two questions related to this:

First, do you think it would be acceptable to do two full-body workouts per week (minus shoulder work) in addition to the shoulder day/s, or would it be better to do one upper body day and one lower body day?

Second, I’m taking a week off in order to be fully recovered before starting this program, and was wondering if there’s anything you would prescribe during this time, such as some very low intensity / high rep work, etc.

Thanks.

jump deadlifts? CT explain please, do tell more

Ct I wanted to ask you some questions on your european article. It looks like it can be applied to more than just bodybuilding. Maybe it can be even used to develop different qualitites like mornings for strength and nights strength-speed. I wanted to know if you had any follow ups to the article. And I wanted to know if you don’t have any Surge to injest bewtween the 15 minute break would a protein shake be fine?

All your articles are great and have helped me a lot. Keep up the good work? And maybe if you can give us a follow up to the different destinations article that you wrote. It was clear but I know that there is more to it than functional and structural. Im sorry I know I asking a lot.