CT Prime Time 8/23 and 8/25

This is nothing to be ashamed of! Start off slowly. You can use the Fartlek approach. Alternatre between periods of steady-state low intensity work and shorter bursts of higher intensity work.

Start slowly … only perform the “bursts” when you feel comfortable and don’t go too fast. Gradually (over time) increase the frequency and intensity of the bursts.

You can also look into sled dragging.

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
I feel almost ashamed to even ask this…

I have been trying your running man article, but I am in horrible condition. I get so tired I can’t even make myself sprint. So I pretty much stopped that for now and I’ve been doing sprints.

Is there a preferred method for increasing my conditioning? Should I stick with a slow pace and try to do a mile, then try to keep increasing the time? Should I go faster and then try to go farther each time?

Any advice for an out of shape slug is appreciated…

[/quote]

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:

What I mean by this, is, during the accumulation phase, where hypertrophy is targeted, would it be fine to add a set during the strength sessions? Or
do you recommend adding weight? If possible.
[/quote]

You can add a set as long as you do not have to decrease the weight on that additional set.

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
Also, do any of your articles go into detail about your conjugate wavelike phases (Accum/Intens). I would love to see an article on this.

This is kind of like your pendulum training?
[/quote]

Pendulum training alternated between accumulation and intensification every week while the classic block system alternates every 3-4 weeks.

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
What would you find more effective?, the wavelike conjugate periodization you suggested? Or for example, in a 3 days a week training, would it be more effective to devote 2 days to hypertrophy, 1 to strength, then vice versa the next week?

Thanks for your time and help. Much is appreciated CT. [/quote]

Both would work and I’ve used both with pretty similar effects. Don’t forget the power work, which can be worked into the strength workout during an accumulation block and during an hypertrophy workout during an intensification block.

[quote]englishman wrote:

I wish to start concentrating more on my dynamic speed strength levels. While i have been doing some dynamic work i have mainly focused on my functional strength.

I am aiming to reduce my normal workout to 1x3 90% max on all lifts and do 3x3 40-50% max with chains 5x aweek.

Can i do this much dynamic work so often even though i have reduced the amount and spread it over the week?
[/quote]

Look at it this way, elite olympic lifters perform the clean & jerk and snatch (which is dynamic work) 5-6 days a week, sometimes twice a day! So it is certainly possible provided that you don’t go overboard with the volume.

I would also vary the load in a wavelike manner during the week…

E.g.

Day 1: 45%
Day 2: 50%
Day 3: 40%
Day 4: 55%
Day 5: 35%

[quote]englishman wrote:
When you said in the article that the more times you train it is motor learning at its best, does this hold true for dynamic work?
[/quote]

Even more so! Dynamic work requires an even greater CNS implication and motor coordination.

[quote]englishman wrote:
I know there are better ways to construct a max effort/dynamic effort workout but that just would not fit well into my boxing workouts.

Your views would be most grateful CT.[/quote]

Well, it’s not all that different from a typical olympic lifting program as far as I’m concerned.

An elite weightliter might do something like this:

Snatch: 1 x 3, 2 x 2, 3 x 1
Clean & jerk: 1 x 3, 2 x 2, 3 x 1
Back squat: 3 x 3, 2 x 2

And repeat this type of workout 5 times per week, waving the actual load used.

I would definetly add the long walks 4-5 times per week. This has virtually NO negative effect on muscle mass. And while it’s effect on fat loss is not that important, you can still use around 450kcals per hour with this type of work. 450 x 5 = 2250kcals per week = almost 3 pounds per month.

Then you could add one or two HIIT sessions to be performed after your strength workouts.

[quote]pradaboy wrote:
Coach,

I’m an easy fatgainer, at 20% BF right now and doing TBT. What can I safely do as cardio to promote fat loss but not obstruct muscle gains at the same time?

HIIT? Long walks? Something else? Thanks for your time, seems like you have a busy night ahead ;-)[/quote]

CT,

What kind of training would you suggest when coming off UD 2.0 ?

(in between cycles)

[quote]ChrisPowers wrote:
Hey CT,

Next week I plan on starting your Shoulders Overhaul program, and I have two questions related to this:

First, do you think it would be acceptable to do two full-body workouts per week (minus shoulder work) in addition to the shoulder day/s, or would it be better to do one upper body day and one lower body day?
[/quote]

The thing is that with two full-body workouts the shoulders will receive some training stress 4 times per week during the accumulation period and this is just asking for an overuse injury. Yes, I know that you said no direct shoulders work during the whole-body sessions, but still, all types of pressing will heavily involve the shoulders.

An upper/lower split would be best. Although it would also be possible to do:

DAY 1
Whole body

Day 2
Quads, hamstrings, upper back, biceps and triceps (no chest to limit the amount of shoulder work)

[quote]ChrisPowers wrote:
Second, I’m taking a week off in order to be fully recovered before starting this program, and was wondering if there’s anything you would prescribe during this time, such as some very low intensity / high rep work, etc.

Thanks.[/quote]

I do not like weeks off. I think that you should still stay active. Either doing high reps workouts or some for of GPP work.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
jump deadlifts? CT explain please, do tell more[/quote]

Perform the eccentric portion of a romanian deadlift. When the bar reaches the knees or slightly below your perform a powerful back and hips extension and jump up at the same time. This is actually similar to the pull in a power clean except that you keep your arms straight during the jump. Imagine performing a vertical jump with a bar in your hands.

Thanks CT for your help, it helps alot mate.

Say for instance my max bench was 400lbs, and i was doing 50% max dynamic bench.I know that i have 200lbs to play with. What amount of weight would you use for the chains both sides?

The reason i ask is that i have read yours and Louis articles on chains and bands and become abit confused about the amount of weight to use. I saw that some of the Westside boys use nothing but chain and no plates.

I have just got myself alot of different size chain so i can just about make up any weight.

CT:

I’m almost sure you’ve answered this before,but I can’t remember your reply!

1. In terms of using the E-Z Curl bar vs. the Straight Barbell for Triceps presses; which is “better”? Or is it all a question of wrist comfort? (Note: I see that Christiane is using the Straight Barbell in the Video shots you posted).

2. What do you consider the best mass builder for triceps?

Thanks!

Mufasa

CT,

I have been battling shitty hamstring injuries for the past three years pretty much. It seems like no matter what (A.R.T., massage, stim, ice, hot, physio,) seems to work. You work with a lot of football players, and I was just wondering what your approach was to dealing with this issue. On a side not getting injured in Summer camp sucks.

Take Care,

Choose a chain weight where the total weight at the top is no more than 70-80% of your maximum.

For example, if your bench press max is 400lbs, this would mean a top weight of around 300-320lbs.

If the bar weight is 200lbs that means an additional 100-120lbs of chain at the top, so 50-60 per side.

[quote]englishman wrote:
Thanks CT for your help, it helps alot mate.

Say for instance my max bench was 400lbs, and i was doing 50% max dynamic bench.I know that i have 200lbs to play with. What amount of weight would you use for the chains both sides?

The reason i ask is that i have read yours and Louis articles on chains and bands and become abit confused about the amount of weight to use. I saw that some of the Westside boys use nothing but chain and no plates.

I have just got myself alot of different size chain so i can just about make up any weight.

[/quote]

I have a player who was in a situation similar to yours. The year before I started training him he severely injured his hamstring in a summer flag football game. Because of it he missed the whole season except for one game.

When he started training with me improving his hamstrings was of the utmost importance. On top of his regular hamstring workout, he had to perform seated jumpstretch bands leg curl: you sit down on a chair, loop one end of the light or mini jumpstretch band around your ankles and the other end around a solid object in front of you.

Each day he had to perform 100 reps in a row. He could take pauses during the “set” but the objective was to complete 100 reps with a slow eccentric portion.

His hamstring has been 100% for 3 years, 2 of those which he spent playing pro ball in the CFL.

[quote]Tags wrote:
CT,

I have been battling shitty hamstring injuries for the past three years pretty much. It seems like no matter what (A.R.T., massage, stim, ice, hot, physio,) seems to work. You work with a lot of football players, and I was just wondering what your approach was to dealing with this issue. On a side not getting injured in Summer camp sucks.

Take Care,[/quote]

CT,
I have been following a westside format for the last 9 months and have just started hearing about deload weeks. Is this something everyone should or does it depend on the person and their experience etc? Please explain this concept. Thanks a lot,
TR

Do you think that the Soviets could have put an NFL caliber football team together and how would they have been different than our teams?
Brandon Green

The classic deload is simply a volume reduction after 3 weeks of hard training. In your case you would perform your regular Westside routine for 3 weeks, then on the 4th week you reduce volume by around 50% BUT YOU CONTINUE USING HEAVY WEIGHTS.

For example, in your dynamic workout your perform 4 x 3 instead of 8 x 3 (or 5 x 2 instead of 10 x 2), in your max effort workout you cut down in half the amount of assistance work you do.

The goal is to continue to lift big weights to avoid CNS detraining and reduce volume to allow for the musculoskeletal system to recover.

Dealoading is not necessary or used by all. But I feel that most natural athletes should do it as it is of a great help in preventing overtraining.

[quote]bigTR wrote:
CT,
I have been following a westside format for the last 9 months and have just started hearing about deload weeks. Is this something everyone should or does it depend on the person and their experience etc? Please explain this concept. Thanks a lot,
TR[/quote]

[quote]cccp21 wrote:
Do you think that the Soviets could have put an NFL caliber football team together and how would they have been different than our teams?
Brandon Green[/quote]

Nobody can answer that for sure. If they could it would take A LOT of time. Today it would be impossible with the fall of the communist system and the fragmentation of the former USSR. But even during those years it would have been a long shot.

They whould have to start with the grassroots. Have the best athletes start practicing and playing football when they are super young.

I’m sure that they could have achieved some sort of success considering what they have done in hockey. But I doubt that they could have approached the caliber found in North America.

There’s just so much more than athletic skills or even game skills imvolved in football.

Thanks a lot for the reply. How soon should I start doing this? Tonight for instance? lol

If it is not too much trouble could you provide just a general guideline as to what his hamstring wokouts were like/how they were structured, just to get an idea?

Also, how was running integrated back into his “rehab” plan?

Thanks a lot, as you can tell I am very anxious about this subject as getting on the field is of utmost importance.

Pat Battaglia

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I have a player who was in a situation similar to yours. The year before I started training him he severely injured his hamstring in a summer flag football game. Because of it he missed the whole season except for one game.

When he started training with me improving his hamstrings was of the utmost importance. On top of his regular hamstring workout, he had to perform seated jumpstretch bands leg curl: you sit down on a chair, loop one end of the light or mini jumpstretch band around your ankles and the other end around a solid object in front of you.

Each day he had to perform 100 reps in a row. He could take pauses during the “set” but the objective was to complete 100 reps with a slow eccentric portion.

His hamstring has been 100% for 3 years, 2 of those which he spent playing pro ball in the CFL.

Tags wrote:
CT,

Take Care,

[/quote]

Hey CT,
I jsut wanted to know if you will be comming up with any new books I have purchased 2 of them The Black Book of Training Secrets and Modern Strength & Power Methods. I really enjoyed the read even tough it was a bit hard giving the fact that im kind of new to lifting (seriously), I’ve been lifting a long time but just discovered T-amg just recently and you know the rest. well anyways I want to read a bit more I really think you are the best streanth coach around and you have help me gain some muscle mass. Well we all want to gain muscle girls love that.

Thanks a lot for your help, CT.

Christian, how often can your 8 weeks to a record bench be perfomred? For example would 8 weeks to a record bench and then 4 weeks of westside and then 8 weeks to a record bench be ok?