CT At Your Service!

[quote]mike hanley wrote:
I am having a little rotator cuff swelling and a friend who is a pt suggested to stay away from uprights rows. it is not a good movement for me. In the eastern article what wouyld you suggest in replace of uprights on day4? I was thinking power shrugs. Any suggestions? Thanks[/quote]

Power shrugs are good. But really, and I may sound like a broken record, in your final 5 weeks pre-contest, all you can really hope for is to preserve muscle mass. So it will not make a huge difference really.

Also, could I do power cleans during a maximal strength block (they’re my favorite exercise)? Or should I save them for an explosion block?

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
What exercises do you think I should use for a Canadian Ascending-Descending system for upper body pulling and the core body (abs)? Keep in mind that I am training for wrestling.
[/quote]

I never use the CAD scheme for pulling muscles. They are trained according the strength and strength-endurance continuum.

Something like:

Barbell rowing
3-5 reps

Weighted chins
6-8 reps

Chest supported (incline bench) dumbbell row
10-12 reps

Lat pulldown (triangle)
12-15 reps

Pullover (preferably machine or cable)
15-20 reps

Each being performed for 2-3 sets.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
Also, could I do power cleans during a maximal strength block (they’re my favorite exercise)? Or should I save them for an explosion block?[/quote]

You can use them no problem. As long as you keep the ratio of work in favor of strength work.

Gotta go for tonight. Thanks Thib. You’re a knowledgable and generous coach. God Bless.

Disc Hoss

In terms of your power circut, what would be best for mass and strength:

Upper body Circut
Lower Body Circut
Orignal Circut

or the Original Circut 3X a week

Thanks

Mike, after looking at your back double biceps pics (good detail BTW) here are some recommendations:

1. Flex your arms more, you arms are almost at a 90 degrees angle, bring your fists a bit closer to your head … basically you want an elbow angle of around 60 degrees.

2. Rotate your upper arm backward (toward the judges). It looks like your arms are aimed forward, which takes away from your biceps peak from the rear. Really turn those suck back.

3. Rotate your foreamrs backward to (kinda like if you were trying to turn your thumbs toward the judges). This will also help you bring out your biceps peak and forearm details.

Thibs, in some of your old articles you mention that you use a lot of BCAA powder. What did you think about this? Any particular brand you like?

Hi CT I have a question I hope you can help me with. My training partner and I have recently switched from a Westside based powerlifting program to a 3x3 type routine. We based it partly on your Canadian Auto-regulatory routine but we are only training three days a week so we have thrown in some assistance on those days as opposed to a 4th day.

I would like to know if you think we may be doing too much, I noticed in your program you work up in 3 sets where were planning on 6-8. Here is our basic set-up:

day 1

squat work up to max 3 in 6-8 sets
bench 4x6 w/ 3 sec pause
speed dead 6x1@60%

assist
rev hyper 2x8
rows 2x8
abs 2x8

d2

squat speed+bands 6x2
bench max 3 in 6-8 sets
dead 4x6 cluster reps off 2 plates

rev hyper 2x8
cable side bends 2x5 meduim cluster
weighted chins 3x5

d3

squat 4x6
speed bench 5x3+mini bands/3x3 close grip off 3b for a heavy 3
dead max 3 (cluster) in 6-8 sets

rev hyper 2x8
leg raises 2x max reps
rows 2x5 meduim clusters

Weeks 2 & 3:

work to max single instead of triple in 6-8 sets.

after rep or speed squats add chain for a heavy triple.

after speed deads raise bar to mid-shin and pull 4 singles for speed at 75-85%

The 4th week we will back off the main lifts and perform a bb style routine in the 8-20+ rep range w/3-5 sets using different exercises for weak points/recovery.

Lastly our diet on this is around 300 carbs on training days 100-150 in morining, 100-150 post-workout and about 150 on non-training days in the morning. I’m using a scoop of Power Drive post-workout along with Alpha Male and M.

Should I incorporate the power cleans before or after a 1/6 wave repeated for three waves? I am thinking about doing them for two sets and cutting out a wave of posterial chain work. Why don’t you like CAD for the pulling musculature?

I really like the way you set up the conjugate accumulation, intensification, and explosion blocks. I really like to use the conjugate method but i also think its a good idea to rotate accumulation and intensification blocks.

There isn’t any chance of your writting an article on this is there?? Thats something i think alot of people might be interested in. Seems like a good way to combine powerlifting, bodybuidling, and training for athletes. Basically for people that dont do any of those things specifically but like to add a little bit of it all into their training. Which is one of the bases of the conjugate method.

Hi CT,

Your “Superman Sets” program has disappeared from the archives. Any chance of reposing it?

By the way, I remember you high intensity & short-timed sets with long RI for martial arts. Would you still recommend the same for people who train towards a long martial arts event e.g. a 3hr black belt grading? And what exercises would you recommend for a stand-up striking based art for the above event?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Geek boy

[quote]binford wrote:

There isn’t any chance of your writting an article on this is there?? T[/quote]

There’s always a possibility!

Seriously though, it’s true that it’s an interesting subject. I do have 2-3 articles on queue already, but since I’m back to strength training, writting about the conjugated block training might be fun.

Dear Chris.

I want BMX for christmas…

but i guess you cant help there. you could help here though…

In developing the clean (i am starting out o lifting), what set/rep/intensity scheme could i use to ensure correct (practice) technique, whilst reinforcing an effective training stimulus.

Currently, i am doing hypertrophy training 3 times a week, and lift practice 2 times a week. at the end of this cycle of training, i am going to cut the total body sessions to 2 a week and up my o lift practice to 3/4,

In the UK there is poor coaching available, so your help may just be what i need,

I used Max-Ot cardio for my last show, which is as you know very high intensity; do you think that is a bad idea for the final weeks? What do you think about doing GPP stuff instead of cardio for your energy work when getting ready for a show? Your also very lean early in your dieting process what are you going to do to preserve muscle? Thanks for all your advice. Thad

CT,

In your Part Time beast article you said to complete all four workouts three times.

How much weight should be added to the exercises each week? Or should you just repeat the routine with the same weight every week until you finish the program?

Geek Boy,

Here’s the link to Superman Sets:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=284sup2

I’m not very scientific about my conjugate template but here is basically what i’ve thought of. I’ll just list upper body.
Weeks 1-3(accumulation)
Day 1
ME bench- 3-5RM
ME pull- 3-5RM
flat db press- 3x20
t-bar row- 2x10
upright row- 2x10
prone trap raises- 2x10

Day 2
speed bench- 6x3
speed chins- 6x3
bench- 4x8
CS row- 4x8

Weeks 5-8(intensification)
Day 1
ME bench- 1-3RM
ME pull- 1-3RM
incline db pres- 3x15
t-bar row- 3x15

Day 2
speed bench- 6x3
speed chins- 6x3
heavy press-3RM(week1)cluster(week 2&3)
heavy pull-3RM(week1)cluster(week2&3)

Week 10-13
Day 1
ME bench- 1-3RM
ME pull- 1-3RM
ballistic bench- 4x5
med ball chop- 3x10(use lats)

Day 2
circa-max bench- 7-8x3
overspeed chins- 8x3
dips- 3x10
seated row- 3x10

I would take a down week and do light high rep work after each phase. But what do you think about these phases. I’m not sure the actual volume for each strength attribute, like hypertrophy, strength and power, but i know each of the phases concentrate more on one attribute with more exercises.

Coach Thibaudeau,

I am training the Olympic Lifts, and the clean recovery is by far the limiting factor in my Clean-and-Jerk (I can power clean about as much as I can squat clean). I am pretty tall (6'). Should I focus more on either the front squat or the back squat because of my height?

I’d also like to point out that in a way you could even incorporate a pendulum effect into the conjugate program i listed. You could just do like this.

Block 1- Accumulation
Block 2- Intensification
Block 3- Explosion
Block 4- Intensification
Block 5- Accumulation

Sounds like a great program to me.