CT At Your Service!

CT I just started your eastern european program and I really like it. I was wondering about as I get closer to a show should I drop some sets off the 7x4 or should I modify it in some other way. I am 51/2 weeks out from another show. Also in regards to diet, I am 185 @ 8% I have decided to go with 2000 cals with the maximum amount of carbs being 150g. Is this okay considering the eastern program with most of my carbs coming after my 2 workouts. On non training days I am doing intervals and having my carbs in the first three meals of the day. I would love your input on the program and the diet in regards to the amount of time before next show Thanks

[quote]samicus wrote:
a general question: for what purpose would you employ pre-fatigue rather than post-fatigue techniques, and vice versa?

thanks

sam[/quote]

I only use pre-fatigue with beginners, and that for two purposes, more related to motor learning than performance and gains:

1. Some beginners have problems “feeling” what muscle should be stimulated in a compound movement. For example, a beginner might have problems feeling a bench press working the chest. By pre-fatiguing the muscle you want to emphasise, the client is better able to feel it working during the compound exercise. This is called enhanced-feedback.

2. To purposefully force the beginner to use less weight on the compound movement because of the pre-fatigue. This might reduce the urge to put too much weight on the bar to impress the T-vixens or intimidate the other males in the room.

Another use I might see is when someone has a faulty recruitment pattern. In that case we might use enhanced-feedback to make the athlete aware of what muscles he should be focused on.

[quote]mike hanley wrote:
CT I just started your eastern european program and I really like it. I was wondering about as I get closer to a show should I drop some sets off the 7x4 or should I modify it in some other way. I am 51/2 weeks out from another show. Also in regards to diet, I am 185 @ 8% I have decided to go with 2000 cals with the maximum amount of carbs being 150g. Is this okay considering the eastern program with most of my carbs coming after my 2 workouts. On non training days I am doing intervals and having my carbs in the first three meals of the day. I would love your input on the program and the diet in regards to the amount of time before next show Thanks[/quote]

I’d personally drop the intervals as your carbs are on the low end. With 2 workouts/day there is no way that you’ll ever have full glycogen stores until you carb-up for your show. So doing intervals will only increase the risk of breaking down muscle tissue to make glucose. Don’t forget that the higher the intensity of work is, the more it relies on glucose for fuel.

You’d be better off using low intensity sessions, around 65-70% of your max HR for 30-40 minutes. I personally walk at 3.0mph at an incline of 12 degrees on the treadmill.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
poper wrote:
Hey CT,

I’m planning a 4 lift per week O-lift program. Any tips on squatting frequency and the set/rep parameters over a 4 week training block?

If you want to focus only on olympic lifting, I suggest squatting 3 times per week…

Day 1
Back squat (heavy)
3/2/1 wave (one wave = 1 x 3, 1 x 2, 1 x 1… increase the weight on each wave … complete waves until you fail on one rep)…

E.g.
1 x 3 @ 355lbs
1 x 2 @ 375lbs
1 x 1 @ 395lbs

1 x 3 @ 365lbs
1 x 2 @ 385lbs
1 x 1 @ 405lbs

1 x 3 @ 375lbs
1 x 2 @ 395 FAIL END OF EXERCICE

Day 2.
Front squat (moderate)
6 x 3-4 with your clean max

Day 3.
Back squat (explosive)
6 x 2 at 50-55% of maximum performed explosively

On a 4th day perform jumps squats, 3-4 sets of 10 reps with 20% of your max clean
[/quote]

CT,

Apart from the squats, how would you plan the oly lifts/other body parts for this type of program that poper is putting together.

Poper, any more details on the rest of your program?

whats your thoughts on guys in the gym who at the top of movements(db shoulder presses or db chest presses) turn the db’s in? What is that “suppose” to accomplish?

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
whats your thoughts on guys in the gym who at the top of movements(db shoulder presses or db chest presses) turn the db’s in? What is that “suppose” to accomplish?[/quote]

If they turn it only once the concentric portion of the rep is completed, it does nothing. If he starts rotating immediately as he starts pressing and reach full inward rotation at the end of the rep it can help recruit the pecs SLIGHTLY more.

If we are injured (my Supraspinatus and Pectoris Major)…how can we best retain LBM and strength if we can’t work out?

I’ve been told by a doc to not even carry anything with that side…and that I should not play sports. Heck, I guess that ixnays even isometrics?

I figure the only way is supps…should we still take protien MRPs (I figure “yes”, but just checking) and Creatine (not sure about that one)?

Thanks for any input.

TB

Should I keep the 7x4 up to the show or should I drop any sets the closer I get?

If I keep the intervals in what would be your suggested carb intake instead of 150grams a day.

[quote]Trailblazer wrote:
If we are injured (my Supraspinatus and Pectoris Major)…how can we best retain LBM and strength if we can’t work out?

I’ve been told by a doc to not even carry anything with that side…and that I should not play sports. Heck, I guess that ixnays even isometrics?

I figure the only way is supps…should we still take protien MRPs (I figure “yes”, but just checking) and Creatine (not sure about that one)?

Thanks for any input.

TB [/quote]

BCAAs have been shown to be effective at reducing muscle loss during bed rest. So they might be useful in your case. One of my hockey player just had shoulder surgery and cannot train for 6 weeks. I have him on 10g of BCAA 5x per day along with whey protein.

Thanks a bunch CT.

and bg100
With that said, this is what the program I devised looks like(with much help from CT and his articles), before I had suggestions with the squats, I’ll likely change it up.

O-lifts with - Week 1 6/5/4/6/5/4
Week 2: 5/4/3/5/4/3
Week 3: 4/3/2/4/3/2
Week 4: 3/2/1/3/2/1

Day 1 (Pull/Hip)
Power clean from the hang (O-lift parameter)
Weighted Pullup
DB pullover

Day 2 (Push/Quad)
Push jerk (O-lift parameter)
Back Squat
Dumbbell Press

Day 3 (Pull/Hip)
Power snatch from the hang (O-lift parameter)
Romanian Deadlift
Barbell Row

Day 4 (Push/Quad)
Front Squat
Weighted Dip
Lunges

Any critiques CT? I’ll be changing the squats, (This is essentially my strength phase in the offseason w/an emphasis on olympic lifts, I’m a polevaulter)

-poper

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Thanks, Thib.

On this point:

"I believe that the best shoulder builders are:

1. push press
  2. standing military press
  3. Bradford press
  4. Dumbbell press

It seems that the Push press take away a substantial amount of shoulder stimulation and place it upon the legs and hips. Upon first glance, it would appear that the main benefit would be the eccentric phase after lockout. Please critique…

Also, strangely enough, my anterior deltoids need some size. I am pec domininat :slight_smile: and almost all horizontal pushing motions blow my pecs up and the front delt region is lagging behind my pecs, lateral delts, and posterior delts. Strange, I know.

DH
[/quote]

Thoughts Thib??

[quote]mike hanley wrote:
Should I keep the 7x4 up to the show or should I drop any sets the closer I get?

If I keep the intervals in what would be your suggested carb intake instead of 150grams a day.[/quote]

Listen to your body. If you feel yourself getting weaker as the show gets closer, reduce the number of sets.

To be honest I don’t like intervals when someone is this close to a show… no pro bodybuilder use intervals … they all use low intensity work to avoid losing muscle … now, if someone using 20 000$ of anabolic drugs to get ready for a show avoids intervals so as to avoid loosing size, why do you think they they would be good for you?

That having been said. Intervals are very effective and not catabolic while you are not underfeeding. But when getting ready for a show, at 5 weeks out, they will do more harm than good IMHO.

[quote]poper wrote:
Thanks a bunch CT.

and bg100
With that said, this is what the program I devised looks like(with much help from CT and his articles), before I had suggestions with the squats, I’ll likely change it up.

O-lifts with - Week 1 6/5/4/6/5/4
Week 2: 5/4/3/5/4/3
Week 3: 4/3/2/4/3/2
Week 4: 3/2/1/3/2/1

Day 1 (Pull/Hip)
Power clean from the hang (O-lift parameter)
Weighted Pullup
DB pullover

Day 2 (Push/Quad)
Push jerk (O-lift parameter)
Back Squat
Dumbbell Press

Day 3 (Pull/Hip)
Power snatch from the hang (O-lift parameter)
Romanian Deadlift
Barbell Row

Day 4 (Push/Quad)
Front Squat
Weighted Dip
Lunges

Any critiques CT? I’ll be changing the squats, (This is essentially my strength phase in the offseason w/an emphasis on olympic lifts, I’m a polevaulter)

-poper[/quote]

Thanks poper. As a suggestion, I’d probably add in some overhead squats, that would really help with the shoulder flexibility and torso strength you would need for pole vaulting. Have you been to Dan John’s website? There is a bunch of stuff there on OHS. Even if they are used as a warmup for your oly lifts they could be useful. The thing is, because you are limited with the amount of weight you can use by your shoulder strength and balance capabilities you could do them as the warmup, do your oly lift and still do another form of squat because your legs won’t be that tired from OHS, but you will be nice and flexibile!

bigpump23 wrote:
whats your thoughts on guys in the gym who at the top of movements(db shoulder presses or db chest presses) turn the db’s in? What is that “suppose” to accomplish?

If they turn it only once the concentric portion of the rep is completed, it does nothing. If he starts rotating immediately as he starts pressing and reach full inward rotation at the end of the rep it can help recruit the pecs SLIGHTLY more.[/quote]

Ok thanks CT, like alot of other trash seen in the gym, this makes no sense. i’d love to know what their thinking their doing when they do it

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Disc Hoss wrote:

It seems that the Push press take away a substantial amount of shoulder stimulation and place it upon the legs and hips. Upon first glance, it would appear that the main benefit would be the eccentric phase after lockout. Please critique…
[/quote]

You are confusing push press and push jerk. In the push press you only use a very slight knee jerk to get the bar moving off the shoulders. The arms and shoulders still have to do most of the work. See it as a form of cheated military press.

In the push jerk, you use a powerful leg drive, basically throwing the bar in the air with your legs. In that case, your point is valid.

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Also, strangely enough, my anterior deltoids need some size. I am pec domininat :slight_smile: and almost all horizontal pushing motions blow my pecs up and the front delt region is lagging behind my pecs, lateral delts, and posterior delts. Strange, I know.

DH

Thoughts Thib??[/quote]

That’s quite a happy problem! I suggest the push press (as I explained) and 1-2 other type of pressing exercice. I also suggest performing shoulder work twice a week for now.

I am having a little rotator cuff swelling and a friend who is a pt suggested to stay away from uprights rows. it is not a good movement for me. In the eastern article what wouyld you suggest in replace of uprights on day4? I was thinking power shrugs. Any suggestions? Thanks

Thanks. I will take all suggestions . I respect you and your knowledge

please give mor info on your detox program…

I think that before any long term program detox. muscle imbalance, movement patern and general posture should be adreses first…before one even begins to consider anything else

Disc Hoss wrote:
Disc Hoss wrote:

You are confusing push press and push jerk. In the push press you only use a very slight knee jerk to get the bar moving off the shoulders. The arms and shoulders still have to do most of the work. See it as a form of cheated military press.

In the push jerk, you use a powerful leg drive, basically throwing the bar in the air with your legs. In that case, your point is valid.

Disc Hoss wrote:

DH

Thoughts Thib??

That’s quite a happy problem! I suggest the push press (as I explained) and 1-2 other type of pressing exercice. I also suggest performing shoulder work twice a week for now.
[/quote]

DH,

I think the whole idea of the push press is that by doing the “cheat” you can use more weight than a normal press, which in turn will load up the muscles a lot more, leading to more strength/hypertrophy. I think Dan John said that he thought push presses were a “sneaky” way to get strong shoulders

What exercises do you think I should use for a Canadian Ascending-Descending system for upper body pulling and the core body (abs)? Keep in mind that I am training for wrestling.