T Nation

Capoeira Fighting

The next force in MMA combat - probably not.

I’m not suggesting to those that practice this that it is not a good cardio workout. It just appears to me to resemble dancing a lot more than it does fighting.

have you not seen “The Quest” ???

This stuff is bad ass

[quote]OMC wrote:
have you not seen “The Quest” ???

This stuff is bad ass[/quote]

What are your thoughts on the superman punch?

you mean the punch were he just jumped straight up in the air? lol.

Poor execution…looks better for the camera though than minimizing the air time.

As far as I know it does look a lot like dancing… but it certainly is a legitamate martial art.

[quote]OMC wrote:
you mean the punch were he just jumped straight up in the air? lol.

Poor execution…looks better for the camera though than minimizing the air time.[/quote]

That kinda supports my argument…it didn’t take much to run through the dude. I mean he looked like he had some type of legitimate skill set, so you tell me.

I posted the link because I thought it was pretty damn funny, the last thing I want to do is insult someone’s art. I just thought I would add my MMA thoughts because other than a very highly skilled combination of all MA, solid bjj remains unparalleled in successful MMA combat IMO.

Btw, is this even real? It looks like it could be from that movie that came out last year.

[quote]Mousse wrote:
OMC wrote:
you mean the punch were he just jumped straight up in the air? lol.

Poor execution…looks better for the camera though than minimizing the air time.

That kinda supports my argument…it didn’t take much to run through the dude. I mean he looked like he had some type of legitimate skill set, so you tell me.

I posted the link because I thought it was pretty damn funny, the last thing I want to do is insult someone’s art. I just thought I would add my MMA thoughts because other than a very highly skilled combination of all MA, solid bjj remains unparalleled in successful MMA combat IMO.

Btw, is this even real? It looks like it could be from that movie that came out last year.[/quote]

It is from that movie. I remember the scene. I think an extra just brought a camera and filmed it.

What it would look like pulled off in a real fight, by a good friend of mine Lateef Crowder.

Check out “the protector” with Tony Jaa.

I think there are individual techniques and concepts that can be applied to MMA it just takes someone with Genki Sudo-esque timing and speed. So basically someone we probably won’t see in MMA for another 5-10yrs.

BTW yes an extra or someone filmed that… and dude wasn’t a capoerista that was a breakdancer,

Friend of mine several years ago had done a little capoeira along with everything else he trained in. His instructor back home(we were stationed in Guam at the time) had mixed a bunch of stuff into his own ‘style’(JKD, muay thai, kempo, grappling, and capoeira).

He fought in SuperBrawl 10, and basically walked through two locals to win his weight class(total time in the ring = about 2:10). The only capoeira he used was the jinga, but he used it in his fights to good effect. First fight, he stepped out from his corner, dropped low and started the side-to-side movement, and his opponent actually stood up straight and took a step back, paused, then came forward again. Granted they were local scrubs(his first opponent showed up to weigh-ins drunk), but still.

Shitty thing is, he had tons of natural talent and skill, probably could have gone far. But he was too lazy to stick with it and pursue anything. He kept promising to teach me some stuff, but everytime I came over, he was ‘too busy’ playing N64. Worked out though, as that was what led me to Fokai/Purebred Guam.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
What it would look like pulled off in a real fight, by a good friend of mine Lateef Crowder.

Check out “the protector” with Tony Jaa.

I think there are individual techniques and concepts that can be applied to MMA it just takes someone with Genki Sudo-esque timing and speed. So basically someone we probably won’t see in MMA for another 5-10yrs. [/quote]

Thanks for posting that Xen.

What I see is great head movement, strong evasion techniques, and hitting from unorthodox angles… there’s certainly shit that could be pulled from that and made useful.

Ain’t any bad arts, only bad fighters.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
What it would look like pulled off in a real fight, by a good friend of mine Lateef Crowder.

Check out “the protector” with Tony Jaa.

I think there are individual techniques and concepts that can be applied to MMA it just takes someone with Genki Sudo-esque timing and speed. So basically someone we probably won’t see in MMA for another 5-10yrs. [/quote]

Thanks Xen, that’s more like it. I can see where it would be difficult to hit the guy with so much free flowing movement. Since there are aspects of this style that would be effective, having it in your arsenal would be beneficial as long as you were proficient enough in the cage to identify opportunities to use each of the MAs floating around in your head - at some point there has to be a saturation point and diminishing returns. This is where I question whether it will ever actually emerge in MMA - even the Genki Sudo-esque fighter will get clinched and taken down thus needing jj as well to survive, it just seems like a lot. That would be one bad mf-er though, no doubt about it!

Btw, how many rounds and min per round do these guys typically go when they square off? I ask because it looks like they run at an extremely difficult pace. Your boy Lateef was cut up nice but one has to wonder how many takes it took to capture that action - I got tired just watching him.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
What it would look like pulled off in a real fight, by a good friend of mine Lateef Crowder.

Check out “the protector” with Tony Jaa.

I think there are individual techniques and concepts that can be applied to MMA it just takes someone with Genki Sudo-esque timing and speed. So basically someone we probably won’t see in MMA for another 5-10yrs.

Thanks for posting that Xen.

What I see is great head movement, strong evasion techniques, and hitting from unorthodox angles… there’s certainly shit that could be pulled from that and made useful.

Ain’t any bad arts, only bad fighters.[/quote]

I should have read the whole thread first - what he said.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
What it would look like pulled off in a real fight, by a good friend of mine Lateef Crowder.

Check out “the protector” with Tony Jaa.

I think there are individual techniques and concepts that can be applied to MMA it just takes someone with Genki Sudo-esque timing and speed. So basically someone we probably won’t see in MMA for another 5-10yrs. [/quote]

Almost forgot +10 cool points for the mention of Genki

OMC

[quote]Mousse wrote:

Btw, how many rounds and min per round do these guys typically go when they square off? I ask because it looks like they run at an extremely difficult pace. Your boy Lateef was cut up nice but one has to wonder how many takes it took to capture that action - I got tired just watching him. [/quote]

There are no rounds to speak of, you have the roda (circle) and you can be in there for 5 seconds to 10/20+ minutes (depending on numbers) and whether people want to buy you in. Endurance needed is high.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Ain’t any bad arts, only bad fighters.[/quote]

I agree with 95% of the stuff you say, but I disagree with this.

In my opinion something can be bad without being totally worthless, it is a less efficient use of time. In the infantry we used to say “the wrong thing hard and fast is the right thing”.

You can get away with a lot because of talent but that doesn’t make an art good. Just like someone can learn to shoot accurately from the hip or with a gun held sideways gangsta style, that doesn’t make that a good way to shoot.

Flashy arts like this are not totally useless, but given the limited time and dedication people have for training its not the best for “fighters”.

I have been practicing Capoeira for a little while now and it is absolutely the best martial art, in my opinion, I think i’ve seen to date (my father practiced Kung Fu and is a master in Karate, so I know a little bit about different varieties of martial arts.

Capoeira (as another member mentioned) is practiced in a roda and its meant to be evasive- hence why a fighter, instead of holding a regular stance, performs a ginga (where the capoeirista shuffles from one foot to another- hard to explain).

Because its evasive, theres much less force behind kicks etc.,- its not one of those super aggressive fighting styles where you “kick ass” so to speak- although you can get a good couple of licks in from time to time…lol

I didn’t mean to make this informational, I didn’t see any other forum posts about Capoeira so I wanted to hop on in!

[quote]Thanks for posting that Xen.

What I see is great head movement, strong evasion techniques, and hitting from unorthodox angles… there’s certainly shit that could be pulled from that and made useful.

Ain’t any bad arts, only bad fighters.[/quote]

Surely a boxer can appreciate the difficulty in getting even simple things right. Can you remember your first left hook? Can you remember your first few fights?

Learing Capoeira techniques is damn difficult, full stop. Integrating them into a proper fight is near impossible. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but there are much, much easier ways of going about it.

As I probably should have stated at the beginning of my post, I do both. Boxing is awesome for kicking ass. Capoeira is awesome for the dance floor.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
Thanks for posting that Xen.

What I see is great head movement, strong evasion techniques, and hitting from unorthodox angles… there’s certainly shit that could be pulled from that and made useful.

Ain’t any bad arts, only bad fighters.

Surely a boxer can appreciate the difficulty in getting even simple things right. Can you remember your first left hook? Can you remember your first few fights?

Learing Capoeira techniques is damn difficult, full stop. Integrating them into a proper fight is near impossible. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but there are much, much easier ways of going about it.

As I probably should have stated at the beginning of my post, I do both. Boxing is awesome for kicking ass. Capoeira is awesome for the dance floor.
[/quote]

Well, it does look pretty pimpin.

[quote]Mousse wrote:
OMC wrote:
have you not seen “The Quest” ???

This stuff is bad ass

What are your thoughts on the superman punch?[/quote]

I think the failed superman punch is the reason your avatar is what it is!

Btw, it’s been a week. :slight_smile: