Camaro Vs Mustang

Prof, General Motors is the only manufacturer with OnStar because they are the ones who patented it about 15 years ago and other manufacturers aren’t allowed to copy it. It’s quite the useful tool, and has much more to offer than many people realise. Nowadays you can even check your fuel level, oil life, and even start your car right from a smartphone. great selling point for sure. The new Mustang is definately sharp, but Camaro has always been my favorite. Are you looking to get a V6 or a V8?

Mustang Vs Camaro now - the Mustang wins and the new 5.0 kills the Camaro. Camaro is just to much of a heavy weight in a bad way. EVERY mag has the 2011 Mustang as the overall winner by a long shot. Car and DRiver had the mustang win in every category but one. Most have the 4.6 2010 mustang winning. The Camaro is just too heavy, has bad pedal placement, is not tall friendly. I have tended to like GM over Ford until the new mustang. The new 5.0 GT mustang is running similar numbers with the latest BMW M3… Thats nuts

Onstar is awesome. I have it in my Silverado 2500. It will send you an e-mail if your tire pressure is off on any tire by more than a pound or two. It will also tell a prospective buyer exactly when and what you did for every service, which is an upside if you treat your car the way you are supposed to. Need navigation? Press a button and tell it where you want to go, and get turn by turn without screwing around with any buttons.

If you are looking at Mustangs, you might want to consider a slightly used Shelby GT 500. My neighbor picked up a convertible 08 with less than 5k miles on it a few months ago for about what the new ones you are looking at go for–at least that’s what he told me. Apparently speculators bought them thinking the value would go up and they didn’t, the bottom fell out of the market. They come from the factory with 500 HP and you can jack them up to around 800 HP for about $10k in bolt ons. The supercharger kicks in at 4k RPMs and its a rocket, but for just driving around it gets pretty good milage. From wikipedia, I’m pretty sure this is the one he has:

2007 - 2009 Ford Shelby GT500

Second generation
Shelby GT500
Production 2007-present
Assembly Flat Rock, Michigan
Body style(s) 2-door convertible
2-door coupe
Platform Ford D2C platform
Engine(s) 5.4 L 500 hp V8
5.4 L 540 hp V8
Transmission(s) 6-speed manual
Wheelbase 107.1 in (2720 mm)
Length 2007-09: 187.6 in (4765 mm)
2010-: 188.1 in (4778 mm)
Width 2007-09: 74.0 in (1880 mm)
2010-: 73.9 in (1877 mm)
Height 2007-09: 54.5 in (1384 mm)
2010- Coupe: 55.6 in (1412 mm)
2010- Convertible: 56.1 in (1425 mm)
Shelby and Ford returned for the 2007 model year with the Shelby GT500. Introduced at the 2003 New York International Auto Show, the GT500 uses a 5.4 L (330 CID) Modular 500 hp (370 kW) supercharged V8. Features include the Tremec TR-6060 6-speed manual transmission, suspension tuning, a body kit, and 18 inch wheels.
Deliveries of the Shelby GT500 began in May 2006.[8]
A collaboration of Ford’s Special Vehicle Team (SVT) and Carroll Shelby, the GT500 was produced in limited quantity for three years (approximately 10,000 units per year) on the line at Ford’s Flat Rock, Michigan (AutoAlliance) assembly facility.[citation needed]

Very few of you are speaking in terms of practicality. I doubt he wants a Shelby GT500 with its gas mileage and insurance costs.

PeX (your new nickname),

You need to look for the following:

1. Gas mileage
  2. Serviceability - costs (labor, parts), frequency
  3. RESALE value - you’d have to see a list of cars at recent auctions to compare average depreciation of each model. That’s AUCTION, not what dealers are selling
  4. Handling (over pure speed)
  5. Visibility (Camaro sucks here)
  6. Insurance cost (I would assume roughly equal here)

Because, honestly, you will not feel the fucking difference between a 4.9s and 5.6s 0-60 if you’re looking at every minute of your everyday driving.

I will take better handling over speed every goddamn time, without question. Besides, the cars that handle well tend to do well in other aspects of performance; not necessarily true of fast cars. Meaning, handling is a better indicator of the overall package (in my opinion). And I’m talking purely STOCK, so none of you rice-eating mofos better go ape shit with your Fast and Furious wet dream of aftermarket parts.

As for pure looks, I say the Challenger is the sexiest of the three retro styles, by far. And the new Mustang (latest body style) looks better than the Camaro.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Who would win and why?[/quote]

I’m a huge fan of the Mustang, seems like it’s steeped in history. Don’t know much about the Camaro apart from promotions following the two Transformer movies (I think Camaros are now available in Australia but we’re unlikely to see them in Asia). They both sound like legendary muscle cars.

New car X?

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Very few of you are speaking in terms of practicality. I doubt he wants a Shelby GT500 with its gas mileage and insurance costs.

PeX (your new nickname),

1. Gas mileage
  3. RESALE value - you’d have to see a list of cars at recent auctions to compare average depreciation of each model. That’s AUCTION, not what dealers are selling

Because, honestly, you will not feel the fucking difference between a 4.9s and 5.6s 0-60 if you’re looking at every minute of your everyday driving.

I will take better handling over speed every goddamn time, without question. Besides, the cars that handle well tend to do well in other aspects of performance; not necessarily true of fast cars. Meaning, handling is a better indicator of the overall package (in my opinion). And I’m talking purely STOCK, so none of you rice-eating mofos better go ape shit with your Fast and Furious wet dream of aftermarket parts.

As for pure looks, I say the Challenger is the sexiest of the three retro styles, by far. And the new Mustang (latest body style) looks better than the Camaro.[/quote]

Good post. The Mustang wins as far as “feel” when driving. It handles like few cars I have ridden in. However, the fact that a thief would have trouble even stealing a car with On Star is what is preventing me from going full steam in that direction.

That alone will effect insurance costs.

Bottom line, I didn’t like the steering on the Camaro…but there are no low clearance issues with 20" rims and they both probably pull the same level of attention from the opposite sex.

I don’t know whether to get what makes the most sense…or what I always wanted.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

PeX (your new nickname),

1. Gas mileage

As for pure looks, I say the Challenger is the sexiest of the three retro styles, by far. And the new Mustang (latest body style) looks better than the Camaro.[/quote]

Good post. The Mustang wins as far as “feel” when driving. It handles like few cars I have ridden in. However, the fact that a thief would have trouble even stealing a car with On Star is what is preventing me from going full steam in that direction.

That alone will effect insurance costs.

Bottom line, I didn’t like the steering on the Camaro…but there are no low clearance issues with 20" rims and they both probably pull the same level of attention from the opposite sex.

I don’t know whether to get what makes the most sense…or what I always wanted.[/quote]

I’d say go with what you always wanted more then anything. I wouldn’t worry about theft too much, usually theivery goes more with imported cars which are taken apart and sold. Domestic cars don’t have as much of an appeal to theives usually. Driving a Camaro, you’ll stand out more because there aren’t as many on the road as Mustangs are a lot more common. Go with what makes you most happy when it comes to your car, that’s the best I can say.

I just called the Ford dealer and spoke to the sales guy and he said that Ford has Sky Link. Has anyone heard of it?

If it works like he said…

X, do you want to frame this discussion in terms of “what will X like better,” or “who will win?”

If you’re looking at the cars from an enthusiast perspective, the stock versions of the top of the line Camaro vs. Mustang are the same as ever: Camaro has more HP but it’s bigger and doesn’t handle as well as the Mustang. Most enthusiasts will choose the Mustang because of its handling edge.

From a stylistic perspective, the Mustang pays much better homage to the past while the Camaro is much more futuristic. Whichever turns you on is the winner here. The interior styling of each has its flaws and its high points, but whichever you prefer is the winner.

From a practicality perspective, why would you be looking at muscle cars in the first place? If you’ve got the money to be buying one of these, then practicality is not reeeeeeeaaaaaalllllly a factor in your buying decision. It may be a slight differentiator, but the answers to the above will be more influential in your buying decision. Otherwise you’d be asking about the Camry versus the Accord.

If you are seriously concerned about the theft prevention, then OnStar is the gold standard of the industry. The other services have not proved they belong in the same class yet.

From reading some of your posts in the GAL threads, I would guess that you are more a Camaro guy (this generation, in the 90’s you’d have been a Mustang guy). Best I can say is drive each one three times and pick the one you like better.

I have made the mistake of buying cars where the handling was… un-enthusaistic. Never will I make that mistake again. Even for a daily driver, if you don’t enjoy driving it, you will hate your ride anywhere. MUCH more important than a few HP which you won’t be using 98% of the time anyway.

As far as insurance, you can get quotes to see if OnStar is worth the cost.

[quote]JLD2k3 wrote:
X, do you want to frame this discussion in terms of “what will X like better,” or “who will win?”
[/quote]

You wrote a good post…and that is what I wanted…open discussion about these two cars. I really didn’t want to frame it around what I want which is why I left that out originally.

You’re right, practicality is not the deciding factor. Gas Mileage, STYLE, handling, theft prevention, and price are. I also know that many of you know more about cars than me so I am open to what you guys are writing.

The bottom line is, I didn’t plan to be buying a car right now…but life changed that…so I want my next one to really be “MY car”…and not just the one I get because my friends think it is the best or my family thinks it is the most “practical”.

Let me make this more clear…I want women to walk into my house and experience complete, almost supernatural, expulsion of their panties.

I want my car to have that effect as well.

Get a batmobile.

^ Then go with a BMW/Porche/Mercedes X.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Get a batmobile. [/quote]

That’s what I’m looking for…only legal.

If this doesnt scream “expulsion of panties” I really dont know what does. Maybe tone down the wheels though

[quote]DJHT wrote:
^ Then go with a BMW/Porche/Mercedes X. [/quote]

I actually see more BMW’s and Mercedes around town than anything else. I also see a lot of (circa 90’s early 00’s) Mustangs but not too many newer models. I see very few 2010’s and of course no 2011’s right now.

If it comes down to look, I think the above car is more “me” than anything else.

I don’t really want what everyone else gets.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
If this doesnt scream “expulsion of panties” I really dont know what does. Maybe tone down the wheels though [/quote]

What do you think they are selling that for…50-60K?

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I actually see more BMW’s and Mercedes around town than anything else. I also see a lot of (circa 90’s early 00’s) Mustangs but not too many newer models. I see very few 2010’s and of course no 2011’s right now.

If it comes down to look, I think the above car is more “me” than anything else.

I don’t really want what everyone else gets.[/quote]

I understand about not following the crowd, however the fiscal side of me will never go with an american sports car. My wife has BMW X5 and this is here second BMW, nothing beats there service plan and quality of car. I have had some Doc friends in the past swear by the Porche as the best “driving” experience for a car. Also BMW has an onstar type package.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I understand about not following the crowd, however the fiscal side of me will never go with an american sports car. My wife has BMW X5 and this is her second BMW, nothing beats there service plan and quality of car. I have had some Doc friends in the past swear by the Porche as the best “driving” experience for a car. Also BMW has an onstar type package. [/quote]

The Porsche is like twice the price of both the new camaro and the mustang…and it really comes down to style. I don’t see too many BMW’s that make me want the car based on looks.

I do hear what you say about foreign cars and you may be right.

Do guys with Mustangs have a lot of problems with their cars?

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I understand about not following the crowd, however the fiscal side of me will never go with an american sports car. My wife has BMW X5 and this is her second BMW, nothing beats there service plan and quality of car. I have had some Doc friends in the past swear by the Porche as the best “driving” experience for a car. Also BMW has an onstar type package. [/quote]

The Porsche is like twice the price of both the new camaro and the mustang…and it really comes down to style. I don’t see too many BMW’s that make me want the car based on looks.

I do hear what you say about foreign cars and you may be right.

Do guys with Mustangs have a lot of problems with their cars?[/quote]

Panties will melt. Do you plan on paying it off and keeping for ever? Who has a better quality product?