Calling All Dudes 23 and Younger

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
JimmyC111 wrote:

i agree completely with this post… except for that last part. i never said your goal was stupid. my point was that everyone has their own (different) goals.
i wish you luck with your 365, you seem like you have the drive and the knowledge to get it in no time.

when you “x2” the post saying ‘this thread is stupid’, you did.

lol. i plan to hit 365 friday. wish me luck for 405 before december.[/quote]

Good luck man. Hope you pull it off.

18 years old, hit 350 about 2 months ago, the numbers on my work sets have been going up ever since then so I’ll be shooting for 365 by the end of this month and hopefully 405 in 6 months. By the time I’m 23 I’ll be dissapointed if I don’t have 5 plates or more on the bench.

I don’t bench much anymore, i tore my rotator cuff rather severely a couple years ago and opted for continually rehabbing it rather than surgery (injury was completely unrelated to lifting,) but i can still hit 315.

When i lifted exclusively to lift, there was nothing better than hitting 405 for the first time, when i started i couldn’t even lift 135 (i was 17) then 225 then 315 then finally 405, it is much better to slap on four plates than 3 plates a 35 and a 5, feels way more impressive - unfortunately it took me until i was 25 (what’s that come out to? about 35 lbs/year?) and i didn’t get that much of a congratulations from my fellow gym-mates who were all in the business of repping out 405, that part was a little disheartening.

I think it would benefit some of you guys who are interested in going heavy to find guys who are already where you’d like to go. Even if you don’t necessarily work out with them, being in that environment only helps you…lifting where guys are impressed with a 225 bench or are overly impressed with 315 doesnt lend itself to the motivation required to go bigger than that.

[quote]slimjim wrote:

I think it would benefit some of you guys who are interested in going heavy to find guys who are already where you’d like to go. Even if you don’t necessarily work out with them, being in that environment only helps you…lifting where guys are impressed with a 225 bench or are overly impressed with 315 doesnt lend itself to the motivation required to go bigger than that.[/quote]

hopefully this thread will provide some of that motivation. i know i wanna be the first guy to toss up 405 and shake my ding-ding in everyone’s face.

i’m thinking video and proof of bday will be required. lol

Well, I hit 405 on flat bench a long time ago so I’ll join the race but I’ll do it on incline. I’m at 370 right now. I want that 4-oh-fucking-5!

Good luck fellas.

[quote]martyh wrote:
Go inside a college football team’s weight room, there are plenty who can bench over 400 who are under 23.[/quote]

I think the idea of this post was to get people that post here to go out and do something instead of “talking the talk”

There are tons of people under 23 that bench over 4 plates…but we’re not talking about “the whole world” here…just T-Nation.

[quote]MAS50 wrote:
martyh wrote:
Go inside a college football team’s weight room, there are plenty who can bench over 400 who are under 23.

You would be surprised. The SEC is known for some freakish strength but outside of that alot of colleges just focus on training good football players. I hear the Big Ten colleges are satisfied with guys benching just over 300. I’m attempting to walk on at a D1-AA school and one of the Freshmen who worked out with me said I would be going in stronger than 95% of the team. Back to all of us and the chase for 405.[/quote]

LOL!
Way to throw in a “SEC is fucking awesome/Big 10 sucks” jab in a bench press thread.

[quote]JimmyC111 wrote:
buzzkill44 wrote:
this thread is stupid.

x2.
I don’t post here much, but i just want to say that i don’t understand why everyone here seems to worship this professor x character so much. There were two threads made in a couple just about a statement he made that I’m sure many here don’t even agree with. Why try so hard to prove him wrong? If you want to bench 405, that’s great, and it’s a great benchmark, but prove it to yourself, not to anyone else.
I’m 23 myself, and I cannot bench 405, and I don’t know if I ever will, as that’s not a goal of mine.

My goal is to look muscular and lean, with strength being a pleasant side effect.
If a guy like professor x doesn’t respect a guy like me because I can’t bench 405 and I don’t weigh more than 200 lbs, then I won’t respect a guy like him for not being lean and not understanding that everyone has different goals.
[/quote]

WTF?

Not only have you apparently missed the point of this thread, but why are you discussing me when I haven’t written anything about you or your goals? I don’t care what you do. Why do you care so much about what other people write about me on this forum? It apparently troubled you so much it brought you out of lurking so the real question is why YOU focus so much on me or anything about me or why you care at all.

does he have a deadlift [belt only] challenge?

cos I rock the DL and to a lesser extent Squat, but the bench - not so much.

[quote]taleb wrote:

cos I rock the DL and to a lesser extent Squat, but the bench - not so much.[/quote]

As we’ve seen on this site, every newb who barely breaks 170lbs can apparently deadlift over 400lbs…which tells me that the deadlift is no longer the line by which we can judge overall strength and development if everyone and their momma claims they can do it. I personally have never seen someone small lacking development who can bench press 405lbs for reps even done without locking out or touching the chest. In general, to be able to bench that much means you have strong arms, chest back and shoulders to even balance that much weight over you.

It is no surprise most here can’t do it…even though everyone loves to talk about how they are all working on strength first.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
taleb wrote:

As we’ve seen on this site, every newb who barely breaks 170lbs can apparently deadlift over 400lbs…which tells me that the deadlift is no longer the line by which we can judge overall strength and development if everyone and their momma claims they can do it. I personally have never seen someone small lacking development who can bench press 405lbs for reps even done without locking out or touching the chest. In general, to be able to bench that much means you have strong arms, chest back and shoulders to even balance that much weight over you.

It is no surprise most here can’t do it…even though everyone loves to talk about how they are all working on strength first.[/quote]

You have a good point there.

In regards to needed a solid base to even support that amount of weight in a press.

even 3 plates would crush me lol but am working on it.

I should add, I’ve been to a few PL comps and you see a lot of the lighter lifters [75kg/165lb - 80kg/176lbs class] who can do a 4 or 5 plate deadlift

but their bench is usually 2 plates, rarely a 3 plater

I’ll join the race. I’m at ~335 right now.

JimmyC111 wrote:
buzzkill44 wrote:
this thread is stupid.

x2.
I don’t post here much, but i just want to say that i don’t understand why everyone here seems to worship this professor x character so much. There were two threads made in a couple just about a statement he made that I’m sure many here don’t even agree with. Why try so hard to prove him wrong? If you want to bench 405, that’s great, and it’s a great benchmark, but prove it to yourself, not to anyone else.
I’m 23 myself, and I cannot bench 405, and I don’t know if I ever will, as that’s not a goal of mine.

My goal is to look muscular and lean, with strength being a pleasant side effect.
If a guy like professor x doesn’t respect a guy like me because I can’t bench 405 and I don’t weigh more than 200 lbs, then I won’t respect a guy like him for not being lean and not understanding that everyone has different goals.

WTF?

Not only have you apparently missed the point of this thread, but why are you discussing me when I haven’t written anything about you or your goals? I don’t care what you do. Why do you care so much about what other people write about me on this forum? It apparently troubled you so much it brought you out of lurking so the real question is why YOU focus so much on me or anything about me or why you care at all.[/quote]

JimmyC,

If you want people to start taking you seriously, you better post some more.

27,000 > 30

Also, I’d recommend a cartoon caricature of yourself with your log in ID in big letters.

No need to thank me.

taleb wrote:

It is no surprise most here can’t do it…even though everyone loves to talk about how they are all working on strength first.[/quote]

It’s not like claiming a 405 deadlift is anywhere near claiming a 405 bench though. I mean if I walked into a high school gym, I would EXPECT to see people(plural) that can do the former, and be very impressed if I saw someone(singular) doing the latter. And that isn’t something that’s somehow different now, I’ve talked to strength coaches and unanimously kids are stronger now than they were 20 years ago in sports(high school/college). Maybe the rest of the human race has become more bullshit but that’s not a shocker to us around here.

Anyhow with that said I’m not attacking you or anything I guess I was just caught off guard by this having to do with people posting deadlift numbers that are very attainable in comparison to them not having bench numbers that you can’t get with 6 months of dedicated training.

Why not ?

19 Years old,

Hit 315, bar resting at chest (with pin in powerrack).

185 Lbs, 5’7

Too bad I have some shit shoulder that keeps hurting while benching with BB but just for this challenge I will do it before 22.

And by the way, Waylander, gosh 19 years old @ 275lbs ? Hey I eat 3 horses and a half everyday and I’m a skinny 185lbs, can’T imagine your eating.

So I guess that his tread is only to show that some of us, young male, aren’t pussies ? right ?

sup dudes am i late to the party?

this bands my favorite man, dont you love em?

want a beer brah?

hey ya know about the party after the show? its gonna be the best

im so stoked, take it easy brah ~;)

My best friend is Penn State Defensive Lineman Olong “Ollie” Ogbu-- and when i asked him how crazy the bench presses are at the Penn, he told me that while some of the guys put up big numbers- most dont…Now i dont know if its cause they cant do 405- or they just dont feel the need to… but I know those are some strong behemoths on that team…that was just in regards to whoever said you can walk into alot of colleges and see alot of guys doing 405… whatever though i just felt like adding in my 2 cents

[quote]RobbyRob wrote:
My best friend is Penn State Defensive Lineman Olong “Ollie” Ogbu-- and when i asked him how crazy the bench presses are at the Penn, he told me that while some of the guys put up big numbers- most dont…Now i dont know if its cause they cant do 405- or they just dont feel the need to… but I know those are some strong behemoths on that team…that was just in regards to whoever said you can walk into alot of colleges and see alot of guys doing 405… whatever though i just felt like adding in my 2 cents [/quote]

Being that I’ve been taking the scenic route through college (I’m on my 4th in 4 years!) and I’ve played ball on 3 different college levels, I’ve had a good amount of observation on this. I can say from my experience that the only team I’ve ever been on with less than 3 guys who can put up 4 wheels was a JUCO team of retards and degenerates. I’ve seen maybe 3 or 4 kids in 5 years at my local gym that could do it, one of which I know was on a good amount of gear at 18. In a regular gym it’s not common, in a weight room of people who are there to do work it isn’t out of the ordinary.

Gyms around me suck. Yet to find one with db’s that go over 100lbs and there aren’t too many people much bigger than I am(5’11" 200). At the gym I lifted at last summer I did witness a guy doing 3 plates and a 35 per side on incline for reps, I thought that was pretty damn impressive.