BW & DB Program for 3 wks?

Hi everybody.

Getting ready to move my company from point A to point B (yeh movin’ up in the world) and it’s going to be a bitch. I 've been involved with the contract negotiations and planning for the last 2 weeks, and my routine, diet and sleep have suffered a little more than I’d like.

Because of the projected stress, physical work, and overtime faceing me I’ve decided that instead of trying to force my routine (1.25 hours) into a very compressed time limit (15-20 minutes) I’m going into the maintenance mode.

What I need to know is if something like this will do to help me at least mark time:

Side Planks 3 X Max time (20-30 sec.)
DB Military Press 3 X 12-15 Reps
Declined Push-ups 3 X 20 Reps
Planks 3 X Max time (20-30 sec.)
DB Croc Rows 3 X 12-15 Reps
DB Squats 2 X 15-20 Reps
DB Deads 2 X 15-20 Reps

This routine 4-5 times a week for the next 3 weeks.

I can do all of these in my underwear in my living room within 20 mins. and I only need a pair of DBs and some weights. Of course the loads are less as with a BB, but I just can’t make it work any other way.

I would think that it’s better than just laying off for the time, as I’ve already had 2 bad weeks of training. Can anyone chime in with suggestions?

Thanks, Cuso

You can get a pretty brutal workout in 20 mins if you make a circuit with movements like the DB clean and press, 1/2 arm DB snatch, DB swings, etc. as well as bodyweight movements.

^^Thanks Diddy, but I’d like to do movements that I know so there are no form issues. What you suggested would (because of bad form) probably do me more harm than good, but thanks anyway.

To me, that looks like a pretty good set of stuff to do in the meanwhile. If you could throw in some pullups, it would be even better. You’ve got the core work, quad work, hamstring work, vertical pushing, horizontal pushing, horizontal pulling, you’re just missing the vertical pulling.

I’ve done pullups from door frames, from the top of doors (open the door a bit, then pull yourself up while pressed against the door), and from the back of stairs (just watch your head).

I don’t know how you feel about single-leg movements, but one leg “pistol” squats, and one leg romanian deadlifts are another couple good options I’ve used in the past. If you haven’t done them, they’re worth learning how to do, just from the sake of being somewhat interesting. They’re definitely good for the balance.

Thanks LoRez. I knew somebody was going to suggest pullups, but I don’t have a door bar, and if my neighbors catch me doing chins from the stairs they’ll call the white coat guys.

I don’t want to fall in love with the routine, just get by for awhile till everything settles down again. Single leg stuff sound interesting but like I told Diddy I don’t want to learn something new quick and wrong.

[quote]Cuso wrote:
Thanks LoRez. I knew somebody was going to suggest pullups, but I don’t have a door bar, and if my neighbors catch me doing chins from the stairs they’ll call the white coat guys.

I don’t want to fall in love with the routine, just get by for awhile till everything settles down again. Single leg stuff sound interesting but like I told Diddy I don’t want to learn something new quick and wrong.[/quote]

pullup bars are like 25 bucks or less, just get one, lol.

Now might actually be a decent time to try some new things out, specifically the pistol squats. I don’t really know your strength levels, so 1 may be too hard, but if it’s not, it’s essentially impossible to fuck up. There’s no added resistance. You don’t even have to consider it part of your training, just mess around with it.

If you can do a pistol squat at all, your form is good enough. It will help keep your training interesting too. I don’t have any complaints about your program listed except that it looks boring as hell, and I wouldn’t want to do that 3 times a week for any significant period of time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Congrats on the progress at work, man. That’s one of the best reasons to be busy.

[quote]Cuso wrote:
Side Planks 3 X Max time (20-30 sec.)
DB Military Press 3 X 12-15 Reps
Declined Push-ups 3 X 20 Reps
Planks 3 X Max time (20-30 sec.)
DB Croc Rows 3 X 12-15 Reps
DB Squats 2 X 15-20 Reps
DB Deads 2 X 15-20 Reps

This routine 4-5 times a week for the next 3 weeks.[/quote]
If I was going to do that exact routine, I’d re-arrange it a bit:
A1) DB squat
A2) Decline Push-up
B1) DB Romanian deadlift
B2) Plank
C1) DB military press
C2) Side plank
D) Kroc row

But i don’t think I’d work it 4-5 days a week for all 3 weeks. Since it’s full body, even with the lower volume (2-3 sets per exercise), you can enjoy a little more rest and hit it 3-4 sessions per week.

Also, honest question, since you listed them separately, how do you do a dumbbell squat differently than a dumbbell deadlift?

If that’s the criteria we need to program to match, I’d either adapt Dan John’s One Lift a Day plan to your situation.

Basically choose one exercise and attack it hard for the entire session time allotted.

Or, grab a timer and use something like Charles Staley’s EDT method:

If you can only carve out 20 minutes to train, choose two exercises and alternate them for the session. If you can carve out 25 minutes of training, and be strict with your timer, you can do a 10-minute EDT pairing, a solid 5 minute rest, and another 10-minute EDT pairing with different exercises.

I like either of those better than jumping right to the easy-ish maintenance routine you started off with, especially since you said you’ve already had two rough weeks of training. I think, with the probable stress headed your way, you might benefit from some meditation through heavy lifting. :wink:

[quote]Cuso wrote:

I don’t want to fall in love with the routine, just get by for awhile till everything settles down again. Single leg stuff sound interesting but like I told Diddy I don’t want to learn something new quick and wrong.[/quote]

This is what I meant by pullups on the door. No bar required.

I second Chris’s recommendation for following Dan John’s once a day lift. Maybe it’s because I love lifting heavy, but if you can afford the travel time to the gym for 20-30min I’d say do that for the best bang for your buck. It looks challenging, and interesting to attempt.

Thanks guys, one and all.

Flipcollar: I’ve got a chin bar wall mounted in my gym, no go on wall mount in appartment. (wifey)

Chris Colucci: I’m going the EDT route. Perfect! Difference between DB Squat & DB DL? Color me Duhhh!

LoRez: Thanks again.

JLDume: No spotters available, or I would use once a day. Staley’s EDT I can do with my 10RM which is safer.

To hell with maintenance!

[quote]Cuso wrote:
Flipcollar: I’ve got a chin bar wall mounted in my gym, no go on wall mount in appartment. (wifey)[/quote]
I have this model that installs in the doorway on the doorframe itself and isn’t permanently set in place.
http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Total-Upper-Body-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K

My and my gal’s kiddo have been using the same one, sporadically, for over two years and it’s held up pretty well. The foam on the handles has frayed, and the paint on the side of the doorjam has come off, but it was actually a low quality paint. :wink: Just an idea.

Cool man. Way to go after it. It’s a rough, sweaty workout.

Ha, no prob. Some people use the names interchangeably because at that point the movement is identical, but I’ve also seen some people do a “dumbbell front squat” holding the dumbbells at shoulder level, like the top position of a hammer curl. No big deal though.

After doing the work up of the pairings, weights and reps in the EDT program, I’m going to rethink this.

The chance of getting some killer DOMS is just too great, which would put the risk/reward on the wrong side of the equation, at exactly the wrong time. I just can’t afford to be at less than 100% till the stress is over with. I think I’ll stick with the original plan, add Chris’s tweaks, and let it be good.

Sometimes you just gotta man up, be a pussy, and protect the intrests of those who are counting on you.

The EDT program will be there next month too.

Thanks on all who contributed!!