Bumps & Bruises Good for Kids!

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Rock fights anybody? [/quote]

Damn Right!

And crab apples launched from the end of a long sharp stick, which progressed to M-80s launched from 3 man slingshots, and finishing with flaming tennis balls fired from home-made soup cannons.

Our dads used to teach us shit like this with a stern warning that if we blew our faces off, he was going to be pissed.

I don’t blame kids so much for being lame as I blame the current crop of parents for being littigous pussies.

This article made me think about all the attention my local news station has been giving to Heelys (shoes with wheels) and how they kept saying if the kids wear Heelys they need to wear knee pads, elbow pads, and a helmet.

They shoes with a wheel in the heel for gods sake.

We used to make “socks n socks.” You just stuff one sock inside of another sock, preferably a long one, and swing it like a mace. Those things hurt pretty good.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Rock fights anybody? [/quote]

Single-shot 410s loaded with rock salt.

Roman Candle Wars

Spear Fights.
We had these stalky reed type plants growing in a nearby creek. Had a tap root at one end, nice straight stalk, and some thin branches at the top that acted like fletchings. We’d collect a couple dozen ‘spears’ apiece. Spear in one hand, sword (a sturdy stick really) in the other and battle was on.

Horses
Do somersault off the back of a flighty mare and land face first in the dirt, that’ll leave you with a charming face for the first day of school the next day.

Used to you only had to be 5-yrs old to fly on a commercial airline by yourself. Growing up in Perryton Tx with Grandparents in Corpus Christi I used to fly down and hang out with the old folks during the summer. I doubt we can do that anymore.

[quote]dre wrote:
We never used rocks for wars we always used pinecones. Before the pinecones opened up, those things were hard as heck. And man did they sting when you got hit.[/quote]

Or if you got them when the were still green…

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
Giant sling shots - ladder with bike inner tube can launch green apples or rocks about a full city block.

TNT[/quote]

We would use a truck intertube (the same ones we used for tubing the Frio River) and built 2x4, 4x4 frames to make catapults. Having a Jack-of-all-Trades Dad had its advantages.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
Taquito wrote:
yep, we called it sharks and minnows

Our variation was a bit different. One guy had the ball and everyone else tried to tackle him. We called it “Kill the Guy With the Ball”.

Or the politically incorrect term “Smear the Queer”.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That was the game of choice at the weekly Boy Scout Troop meetings.

Not to brag but…yeh, kinda braggin: I took my son’s training wheels off this spring at 3 1/2 years of age…the neighborhood eggs him on now to do his knack knacks and no hands etc., anyway I’m quite proud but am I going to have him wear a helmet? No fucking way.

There is only one other kid in the neighborhood who doesn’t wear a helmet for whatever reason and the majority of the helmet wearing population as someone mentioned are still using training wheels whilst wearing their helmets…wtf?! I’m guilty of giving him a hug on the rare occasion he falls and starts to whine, but then I just pat him on the butt and off he goes.

My opinion is people need to realize that these current trends all stem from capitalism; marketing campaigns designed to make parents feel irresponsible and that they’re not “doing the right thing” if they don’t conform. All someone has to do is market a product and have some articles written and bam your a bad parent if you don’t buy it.

[quote]Bujo wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
Taquito wrote:
yep, we called it sharks and minnows

Our variation was a bit different. One guy had the ball and everyone else tried to tackle him. We called it “Kill the Guy With the Ball”.

Or the politically incorrect term “Smear the Queer”.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That was the game of choice at the weekly Boy Scout Troop meetings.[/quote]

LOL ya…they all tackled the troop leader.

[quote]Mousse wrote:
Not to brag but…yeh, kinda braggin: I took my son’s training wheels off this spring at 3 1/2 years of age…the neighborhood eggs him on now to do his knack knacks and no hands etc., anyway I’m quite proud but am I going to have him wear a helmet? No fucking way.
[/quote]

Is there a law in your state making kids wear them? California has an ADULT bicycle helmet law, how pathetic.

[quote]Mousse wrote:
There is only one other kid in the neighborhood who doesn’t wear a helmet for whatever reason and the majority of the helmet wearing population as someone mentioned are still using training wheels whilst wearing their helmets…wtf?! I’m guilty of giving him a hug on the rare occasion he falls and starts to whine, but then I just pat him on the butt and off he goes.

My opinion is people need to realize that these current trends all stem from capitalism; marketing campaigns designed to make parents feel irresponsible and that they’re not “doing the right thing” if they don’t conform. All someone has to do is market a product and have some articles written and bam your a bad parent if you don’t buy it.[/quote]

Damn this rings true. I had a summer job teaching kids 5-10 year olds to ride horses. Anytime you put a bunch of people (adults or children) on a bunch of horses somebody is bound to fall. And when its little Timmy who falls his parents raise hell bitching and moaning.

What’s funny is little Timmy is back on the horse and ridden a couple of laps around the arena before his parents have shut up. I think kids are more resilliant than we give them credit for.

[quote]Cat Nip wrote:
Mousse wrote:

Is there a law in your state making kids wear them? California has an ADULT bicycle helmet law, how pathetic. [/quote]

No shit? I knew you guys were screwed if you wanted to ride a motorcycle without them…but kids on bicycles!
That’s a big blue state too; wtf!

Wait a minute your not in California…hey, you weren’t in Vegas last month were you?

[quote]Bujo wrote:
Mousse wrote:

My opinion is people need to realize that these current trends all stem from capitalism; marketing campaigns designed to make parents feel irresponsible and that they’re not “doing the right thing” if they don’t conform. All someone has to do is market a product and have some articles written and bam your a bad parent if you don’t buy it.

Damn this rings true. I had a summer job teaching kids 5-10 year olds to ride horses. Anytime you put a bunch of people (adults or children) on a bunch of horses somebody is bound to fall. And when its little Timmy who falls his parents raise hell bitching and moaning.

What’s funny is little Timmy is back on the horse and ridden a couple of laps around the arena before his parents have shut up. I think kids are more resilliant than we give them credit for.[/quote]

There is always going to be those parents…don’t they realize the parents who don’t get worked up over that stuff love their kids just as much? We just see the bigger picture.