Bumps & Bruises Good for Kids!

Finally!!! The world is coming back to its senses!

Of course some parents still disagree, but there are always wrong people in the world.

Jesus has come back, and his name: Total badass who says it’s ok for kids to get bruised up.
This is a great article, and more parents need to read it.

just rub some dirt on it.

if its real bad pour some Tussin’ on it.

Good article. As a parent I agree. Kids need to fall down and hurt themselves sometimes in order to learn.

I am not going to be there forever to protect them.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Good article. As a parent I agree. Kids need to fall down and hurt themselves sometimes in order to learn.

I am not going to be there forever to protect them.[/quote]

Thats a good outlook.

I think the problem stems from the “How can we make sure this never ever happens again?” mentality.

Couple that with the shock-and-awe sensationalism of news programs, and suddenly you have a whole country of parents convinced that the next time they let their child outside without supervision, they’re going to be abducted and sold into child slavery.

In all honesty I don’t think its for the safety of the child so much as for the parents.

People just need to accept that, yeah, sometimes bad shit happens, and you cant bubblewrap the world.

Holy Hell, is there some common sense coming back into the world?

As a soon to be parent, I promise to let my kids fall down, hell, I might even push them down so they learn that life’s not fair! Ok, I keed, I keed.

But seriously, this country has gone safety fukin’ crazy. I remember comparing bruises with friends when I was a kid. My body was always bloody, bruised, scraped, scratched or whatever from jumping my bike off of stuff, climbing trees, jumping off of whatever we could find, wrestling, playing sports, or just being outside.

Getting hurt was a right of passage. It’s how you learned when to deal with a bruised leg by yourself or seek immediate help for a broken face!!!

Parents need to learn that when their kids fall down they need to pick themselves up and move on. Don’t rush to their aid, tell them they are alright and keep playing. Obviously that doesn’t work in every situation but you get my drift.

And for god’s sake people, can we quit with the bike helmets already. Over half the kids I see wearing them don’t even have them on tight enough to do anything should they fall. If you are going to make your kid wear one, strap that sucker down!

And what’s with making kids wear a helmet while they are on their bike with training wheels? The bike can’t tip over, so they aren’t going to hit their head! And if they somehow manage to fall off the bike and crack their head, they deserved it for being stupid!

Pain is part of life. The sooner kids learn to deal with it, the better off they will be.

I’m going to make a great parent aren’t I?

[quote]oldcrabbybastard wrote:
just rub some dirt on it.

if its real bad pour some Tussin’ on it.[/quote]

Stop crying or ill give you something to cry about

I completely agree with this, but it is a bit difficult to see my daughter get hurt.

I do try to toughen her up a bit by not making a big deal about minor stuff, and telling her that she’s tough and can take it when she falls off her skates and scrapes her knees or hands.

I like to reward her for “getting back on the horse” (so to speak) when she fails at anything, and she seems to like the praise and so far it has seemed to motivate her to try harder at things.

Still though, it is tough seeing her get hurt, even if it’s minor. I try to keep it to myself though, and ALWAYS make sure she still knows that daddy will help her when she needs it.

Anyone know of a good place to find a small tracking device that can fit into a shoe, and track where someone is for miles? >:-)

[quote]SWR wrote:

Anyone know of a good place to find a small tracking device that can fit into a shoe, and track where someone is for miles? >:-)[/quote]

Oh, you were joking.

My bad.

That one doesn’t fit in a shoe anyway so your screwed.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
SWR wrote:

Anyone know of a good place to find a small tracking device that can fit into a shoe, and track where someone is for miles? >:-)

Oh, you were joking.

My bad.

That one doesn’t fit in a shoe anyway so your screwed.[/quote]

Hmm, maybe I can convince her that it attaches to her cell phone to increase reception…

Eh, by the time she’s a teenager, I’m sure someone would have come up with a smaller, affordable tracking device.

I do like that one though. And I was joking, but only a little.

I picture myself having a listening device on her, and if I hear a guy giving her trouble, I can drive over to where she is and bail her out, with the added protection or a hand-gun of course.

Thanks! I like that site. It’s going into my favorites.

Rock fights anybody?

That article is a breath of fresh air, about time.

[quote]SWR wrote:
I picture myself having a listening device on her, and if I hear a guy giving her trouble, I can drive over to where she is and bail her out, with the added protection or a hand-gun of course.[/quote]

It’d probably be more efficient to just teach her how to gouge an eye.

Most animal shelters now have the ability to implant microchips under your pets’ skin for tracking. Kids are animals anyway, so they should expand the service to parents. Perhaps add spaying/neutering at a reduced cost.

That’s a great article. Childhood isn’t really childhood unless you’ve gotten a good number of scars and developed a healthy fear of the police. Well, the latter to a greater or lesser extent…

I hope to have kids later on, and I’m going to try really hard to find the right balance between protecting them from things that are unconstructively dangerous and pushing them to take constructive risks so that they learn. A few broken bones never hurt anyone.

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:
Most animal shelters now have the ability to implant microchips under your pets’ skin for tracking. Kids are animals anyway, so they should expand the service to parents. Perhaps add spaying/neutering at a reduced cost.[/quote]

Yea, but as far as I know, that is an RFID chip that can only be scanned within about 5 ft, so it helps if someone (or some place) with a scanner finds your pet, but it’s not going to help find a lost pet who hasn’t been found yet.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Rock fights anybody? [/quote]

I prefer fists,Rocks can kill. =/

[quote]StevenF wrote:

Absolutely! While we’re at it, firecracker wars were always a good time. A couple of bottlerockets and some pvc pipe = greatness.

From a slightly different angle, any kid who hasn’t wound up bumped, bruised and bleeding on occasion hasn’t had a natural childhood and will enter adulthood under-prepaired in my opinion.

I have twin boys. We had child protective services called on us years ago by some milquetoast asswipe because our 3 or 4 (I don’t recall now) year old boys had bruises. I defy anybody to prevent a pair of 3 or 4 year old boys from having bruises of some kind just about all the time. Unless you chain them to the bed and even then make sure they can’t reach each other or they’ll find a way.

[quote]StevenF wrote:

Oh I remember when I was younger and there was construction being done (we went around 8 so no1 was working) and where the foundation for the house was being done (basement) we’d have rock/mud wars. Where the mud is really hard and theres rocks inside and whip them at eachother.

We’d look like hell after but it was super fun, especailly with more people. It was like war and it REALLY hurt to get hit with them. I just remember one time there was a nail poking out and I didn’t see it.

As I was running along the nail cut the side of my wrist (outer side of my arm) hurt, but it was still fun as hell. Pretty dangerous game haha.