Bumps & Bruises Good for Kids!

I had a fat lip once that I got from my dad hitting me cause I was doing dumb shit (when I was younger again) and I went to school and the teacher asked me if everything is okay at home, and i was like yeah everythings good.

Of course if I told the teacher my dad hit me, when I got home…he woulda hit me more! hahaha. I seriosuly think all kids should get spanked n shit though…old school euro parents are into that kinda stuff lol.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
StevenF wrote:
Rock fights anybody?

Oh I remember when I was younger and there was construction being done (we went around 8 so no1 was working) and where the foundation for the house was being done (basement) we’d have rock/mud wars. Where the mud is really hard and theres rocks inside and whip them at eachother.

We’d look like hell after but it was super fun, especailly with more people. It was like war and it REALLY hurt to get hit with them. I just remember one time there was a nail poking out and I didn’t see it.

As I was running along the nail cut the side of my wrist (outer side of my arm) hurt, but it was still fun as hell. Pretty dangerous game haha.[/quote]

Me and some friends were reminiscing about “Rock Wars” recently, and we came to the conclusion that our 8-13 year old selves had 2x the balls that we have now.

Some games that we played during that time.

Rock Wars: 2 teams throwing rocks at eachother from their bases, 1 base was a leg of the Triboro Bridge, another was a bunch of construction vehicles (If I tried this now homeland security would be up my ass). It was about 10 years ago, but I could swear we were throwing some rocks the size of handballs.

Stick Wars: Similar to rock wars, but the bases are park benches, and there is a dodgeballesque border that you cant cross in the middle, don’t let the name fool you, people were hit with 20lb+ logs, with an abnormally nice hit I gave a kid a 3 inch scar across his cheek… I was so proud at the time.

Homemade Wars: Homemade slinghots and peashooters + marbles = months of fun. I have a nice scar where a marble hit me right between my right eye and the bridge of my nose it looks the same as it did 6 years ago… Also a friend of ours figured using a David and Goliath sling to launch rocks the size of my fist would be a good idea, when he started winding that shit we ran and hid like the cops were after us.

Charging: An event of our neighborhood olympics where two people would start at opposite ends of a block and run full speed, ramming into eachother shoulder to shoulder, first person to fall loses. I really have no idea how no one dislocated anything. My personal best was sending a kid flying back ~6 feet on the initial impact, and one time a friend took my legs out and I was on the floor for a good 5 minutes (douchebag)

Fight Club: Self-explanitory

Chicken Fights: Except you know… on concrete, good thing I was always at the bottom cause I’m fat :slight_smile:

Yea we were fucking beyond crazy, I’m 18 btw so some of this stuff is relatively recent.

It is amazing how soft and scared the younger kids where I live are. Recently one was all sad because a kid stole his I-Pod in school… that shit would have never went down when I was 13. He didn’t even get hit, the kid just scared him into giving it up… come on atleast fight for yourself shit.

I’ve even been teaching some of the younger kids in my neighborhood how to fight, very basic stuff, but a few show some promise and aren’t scared to take a hit.

It’s all fun n games until somebody loses an eye =]

[quote]rander wrote:
oldcrabbybastard wrote:
just rub some dirt on it.

if its real bad pour some Tussin’ on it.

Stop crying or ill give you something to cry about[/quote]

I heard this alot when I was a kid.

We used to stand out in the cornfield and shoot BB guns at each other.

Both legs broken, broken chin two times, nose broken, knees both scraped with scars.

I think I learned my lessons when I was a kid :smiley:

But kids need a chance to get hurt thats the main issue here, cause kids today just stay in front of PC and TV. Get them out to play.

It’s nice to see the pendulum (hopefully) swinging back in the other direction.

But there always have been and always will be over protective parents. My second cousin’s mother never let him play outside in the rain, or the snow, or let him watch the Three Stooges. That was 40 years ago. He grew up to be a crackhead, of course.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
It’s all fun n games until somebody loses an eye =][/quote]

or…

It’s not fun and games until somebody gets hurt

ok, well maybe not really

We never used rocks for wars we always used pinecones. Before the pinecones opened up, those things were hard as heck. And man did they sting when you got hit.

The only problem these days is the overzealous agencies out there… CACU and CPS come to mind… let a daycare worker or teacher make a report and it puts a whole different perspective on things…

when faced with the possibilty of losing your children due to “Neglect” or whatever claim they my label you with in court… they will substantiate and create a great deal of speculation

Did anyone ever play a game called Chinese Tackle?
I think the boys in my neighborhood made it up, but is was a great game.

The person chosen as “it” stands in the middle of a grass field, with two lines marked on each end, one in front of him and one behind. All the other players line up on one of the lines. The object is to run from line A to line B without getting tackled by the guy who is it. The technical term of tackled here being both your shoulders pinned to the ground.

Here’s what happens:

“It” screams “Chineeeese Tackle!”.

20 or so people run toward him at top speed.

'It" grabs a person, pins him down, runs to another person, pins them, etc.

Once the other players get to the opposite line, they are safe.

Now “it” AND all the ones he managed to tackle are in the middle.

Eventually, there is everyone in the middle, and one poor sucker attempting to run the gauntlet without getting tackled.

I think it would be kind of fun to play as an adult.

yep, we called it sharks and minnows

It’s all fun till someone loses an eye, then they call it a sport.

Green apple fights.
Scuba googles for BB gun fights (safety first)
Giant sling shots - ladder with bike inner tube can launch green apples or rocks about a full city block.
King of the Mountain (O.K. so it was only a dirt hill)
Demolision sleds (dump the other guys sled on the way down the hill)
Swimming hole with a Tarzan vine

TNT

Funny I was just talking about this subject earlier in the week. What would the world be without the kid who blew 1/2 his fingers off with an M-80, or the kid who broke his collar bone falling out of a tree and who could forget about the guy that craked his head on the diving board?? These are all lessons learned for everyone.

Someone brought up bike helmets. I’ve fell off my bike numerous times growing up as a kid. Shoe laces getting caught in the gears, feet catching in the spokes and basic wiping out on ramps! Ouch! But, all a necessary part of growing up. Parents are raising a group of pampered, baby-ish and sisified type of children who have an unrealistic perception of the real world.

[quote]Taquito wrote:
yep, we called it sharks and minnows[/quote]

Our variation was a bit different. One guy had the ball and everyone else tried to tackle him. We called it “Kill the Guy With the Ball”.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
Taquito wrote:

Our variation was a bit different. One guy had the ball and everyone else tried to tackle him. We called it “Kill the Guy With the Ball”.
[/quote]

Otherwise known as the NFL.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
Taquito wrote:

[/quote]

Or the politically incorrect term “Smear the Queer”.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
Taquito wrote:

Or the politically incorrect term “Smear the Queer”.[/quote]

Or Rumble Fumble

Or Creamo Sheamo

Smear the queer. Would a game like that even be allowed now days? Would they call it gently confront the person with an alternative lifestyle (but not in a way that is anyway threatening or demeaning)? Doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.

As an aside do you think kids nowdays know what a great projectile weapon a piece of wood, a closepine, a rubberband and a pop top makes?

I just remembered our “Hot Wheeling” wars. You’d roll up behind your “enemy/best friend Mark” and ram his back tire with your front, sending him spiraling into oblivion, usually you along with him. Also, I’m “blood brothers” with about 4 good buddies from the old hood. I got around like Britney and Paris.

Rocks, BB guns. Roman Candles all make for a good fight. A word of caution though, you do not want to get all your education from the school of hard knocks:)