Bulking in College, Impossible?

[quote]jimmyjames66 wrote:
ryan b thanks big time for the various info. As far as my lifting history goes, I have actually been lifting for four years, but the first two were with fucking terrible form and mechanics and my coaches never told me any differently, but since I only started out at 150 I gained mass anyway.

For lifts, My best bench was 305, but is no longer anywhere close to that. All I know is that I can bench 225 for eight. I can squat 405 for six(below parallel) and deadlift 375 for eight. As far as posting pictures, no scanner at the moment, but I’m gonna try to use someone elses.

Ok, let my try to thoroughly explain my little meal plan. They gave me 900 dollars per semester, however, it is not buffet style at all. Every food item has an individual price and then if I buy it, that price gets deducted off the 900. (i.e a chicken breats costs 4.50, that’s 4.50 deducted off the 900) It has to be the worst meal plan at any college anywhere, I’m down to 85 god damn dollars. shoplifting may become a possibility.
SO I hope that’s enough for the recipes. Thanks again ryan b. for ALL of the info,[/quote]

That sucks, man. Seriously. I would need the extra job just to cover the cost of food. I think the main message I would like to get across then, is that your grades are more important than your gym progress. You don’t want to be working two or three jobs for the rest of your life just so you can afford groceries.

[quote]jimmyjames66 wrote:
ryan b thanks big time for the various info. As far as my lifting history goes, I have actually been lifting for four years, but the first two were with fucking terrible form and mechanics and my coaches never told me any differently, but since I only started out at 150 I gained mass anyway.

For lifts, My best bench was 305, but is no longer anywhere close to that. All I know is that I can bench 225 for eight. I can squat 405 for six(below parallel) and deadlift 375 for eight. As far as posting pictures, no scanner at the moment, but I’m gonna try to use someone elses.

Ok, let my try to thoroughly explain my little meal plan. They gave me 900 dollars per semester, however, it is not buffet style at all. Every food item has an individual price and then if I buy it, that price gets deducted off the 900. (i.e a chicken breats costs 4.50, that’s 4.50 deducted off the 900) It has to be the worst meal plan at any college anywhere, I’m down to 85 god damn dollars. shoplifting may become a possibility.
SO I hope that’s enough for the recipes. Thanks again ryan b. for ALL of the info,[/quote]

Please
Do not shoplift

Jimmy, sorry to hear that. That’s gotta be the worst college meal plan in the entire country… Even in law school, I smuggle out as much food out of the dining hall as possible. I figure I paid $1400-I’m damn well gonna get my money’s worth.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jimmyjames66 wrote:

SO I hope that’s enough for the recipes. Thanks again ryan b. for ALL of the info,

That sucks, man. Seriously. I would need the extra job just to cover the cost of food. I think the main message I would like to get across then, is that your grades are more important than your gym progress. You don’t want to be working two or three jobs for the rest of your life just so you can afford groceries. [/quote]

Very true. Do what you can with what you have. It will go better when funds are not so limited.

please stop making stupid excuses like that. My friend who is tank instructor in Fort Knox, has been so for the past 18 years. He works 18 HOUR days, barely gets his meals in, about 4 hours of sleep a night, and somehow manages to work out 4 days a week, oh and did i mention, he also benches 385 at 206 pounds, and easily squats 405 for a lot of reps. So what am i trying to say here, the variables ain’t that important, be consistent, adapt and overcome.

[quote]warriork wrote:
please stop making stupid excuses like that. My friend who is tank instructor in Fort Knox, has been so for the past 18 years. He works 18 HOUR days, barely gets his meals in, about 4 hours of sleep a night, and somehow manages to work out 4 days a week, oh and did i mention, he also benches 385 at 206 pounds, and easily squats 405 for a lot of reps. So what am i trying to say here, the variables ain’t that important, be consistent, adapt and overcome.
[/quote]

Uh, yeah. He probably has money to buy food. Thanks, try again.

[quote]warriork wrote:
[/quote]

Well that’s good, i don’t expect to lose much strength, but that’s just not what i’m looking for, i’m looking to get huge. As far as this fucking meal plan stopping my goals, fuck that. I’m not getting fucking screwed like that.

I’ll have to make due with most of what I got, and if I have to get another little job on the weekends , so be it. I’ don’t go out on fridays or saturdays anyways, because the only thing that is fun to the pussies around here is drinking. I’m already labeled with the anti-social tag cause I don’t chug fucking jello shots every weekend. alright, I guess that’s a little off topic. But my point is that I’m not getting left behind with my goals being stripped away, I won’t let my grades drop hopefully, but right now another small, and I emphasize small little job, seems to be the only other way. That or working at GNC and smuggiling protein jugs

damn! jimmy james or jsbrook, whoever the hell you are i don’t know, but that’s not the point i was trying to make. I was merely saying that even in the most difficult and daunting of circumstances like what my friend went through he still put on 10-15 pounds of lean mass while getting stronger, so there is no reason for you to complain about your situation.

I am telling you that while nutrition certainly is important, without protein synthesis you can eat 10,000 calories a day and not grow worth a crap. The only way to boost your protein synthesis up is by heavy and hard training. In this case calories are secondary to working out. I have some really strong powerlifting friends who can lift a friggin’ tank but don’t eat as much as you think. While nutrition is important it is secondary to the effort you put in the gym.

P.s. Professor X i can see your frustration when you try to help people out, some people just don’t want to listen.

Is it possible to forgo the meal plan next semester and just use the $900 yourself?

4.50 for a fucking chicken breast sucks . . . unlesss it’s from some sort of mutant chicken that’s gigantic.

Hell, that much money can buy you about 5,000 calories from peanut butter!

[quote]warriork wrote:
damn! jimmy james or jsbrook, whoever the hell you are i don’t know, but that’s not the point i was trying to make. I was merely saying that even in the most difficult and daunting of circumstances like what my friend went through he still put on 10-15 pounds of lean mass while getting stronger, so there is no reason for you to complain about your situation.

I am telling you that while nutrition certainly is important, without protein synthesis you can eat 10,000 calories a day and not grow worth a crap. The only way to boost your protein synthesis up is by heavy and hard training. In this case calories are secondary to working out. I have some really strong powerlifting friends who can lift a friggin’ tank but don’t eat as much as you think. While nutrition is important it is secondary to the effort you put in the gym.

P.s. Professor X i can see your frustration when you try to help people out, some people just don’t want to listen.
[/quote]

Hey man, believe me, I’m listening to what everyone is saying and taking notes, I’m just preaching frustration. I just don’t think its possible to add sufficent mass without sufficent calories. I train pretty hard, obviosuly not up to some of these guys abilites on this site yet, but with my body type (neanderthalish, slope shouldered), I have trouble believing the pounds will come without the food. Some people can add mass based on gym time alone, but I’m not one of them. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, just a dissagreement.

Is it possible to forgo the meal plan next semester and just use the $900 yourself?

-Nope

[quote]warriork wrote:

[/quote]

First and foremost
You sir, are no Prof X

Second-I will bet my salary that noone working 18 hours a day, sleeping 4 put on 15 lbs of lean mass during that time.

Third-I bet your powerlifting friends eat more than you know or think.

When trying to bulk, cals. are every bit as important as your training. It’s the combination that makes the magic.

Most anyone can overcome short term obstacles. When faces with a real probability of running out of food and school suffering, it’s time to take a step back and evaluate your priorities. And I’m sorry, but training most definately would come in third place there.

Lots of great info here. In my opinion, $50 a week + your awful meal plan should be plenty to eat 5000cals a day. A meal consisting of 1lb of ground beef, 4 cups cooked rice, and 2 cups of lentils contains about 2500cals and about 140g of protein. If buying in bulk this meal would cost about $2.25 where I live. One cup of peanut butter contains 1500cals, about 65g of protein and costs less than half that. With just these two meals you are already up to 4000cals and over 200g of protein. Not bad for less than $25 a week. There are many inexpensive meal choices out there. I think it’s better to spend your extra time hitting the books than doing some part-time work for extra cals.

[quote]Bob A wrote:
Lots of great info here. In my opinion, $50 a week + your awful meal plan should be plenty to eat 5000cals a day. A meal consisting of 1lb of ground beef, 4 cups cooked rice, and 2 cups of lentils contains about 2500cals and about 140g of protein. If buying in bulk this meal would cost about $2.25 where I live. One cup of peanut butter contains 1500cals, about 65g of protein and costs less than half that. With just these two meals you are already up to 4000cals and over 200g of protein. Not bad for less than $25 a week. There are many inexpensive meal choices out there. I think it’s better to spend your extra time hitting the books than doing some part-time work for extra cals.[/quote]

I agree with you, school is and definitly should be my top priority. I just hate how I got the shaft big time with this meal plan, however this school is perhaps the best in the country for my major(PT) and is going to be good for me in the long run. Just do not want to stop gaining size

Well, that’s great sasquatch, but obviously you don’t know a damn thing about the U.S. Army, this is a job that can be done 24 hrs a day and 7 days a week, and considering the job my friend does, TANK INSTRUCTOR STAFF SERGEANT for 1000 privates or sometimes maybe even more at FORT KNOX of course he works 18 hour days. He doesn’t have the luxury of what civilians do, which is plan his own time!, and plus you are only authorized to have 4 hours of sleep a day, if the mission is hard or demanding then you will work overtime.

with that said, sometimes you gotta think outside the box to get results!

Am i the only one that feels the need to pound out like 1,000 cals after reading a thread like this.

I seriously got up and ate 4 hard boiled eggs, 3 cups of milk and 2 packets of nuts.

eggs = 280
milk = 220 (low carb)
nuts = 380 + 240

total = 1120

If you want something cheap that is high in cals…go buy a cheap can of mixed nuts!! I freakin love nuts and this is an easy way to get the cals in. Sunflower seeds are OFF THE CHARTS in calories…50 cents for 380.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

First and foremost
You sir, are no Prof X

Second-I will bet my salary that noone working 18 hours a day, sleeping 4 put on 15 lbs of lean mass during that time.

Third-I bet your powerlifting friends eat more than you know or think.

When trying to bulk, cals. are every bit as important as your training. It’s the combination that makes the magic.

Most anyone can overcome short term obstacles. When faces with a real probability of running out of food and school suffering, it’s time to take a step back and evaluate your priorities. And I’m sorry, but training most definately would come in third place there.[/quote]

Damn straight. I’m fortunate in that I can get all the food I need to meet my goals. Jimmy seems not to be. Enough calories is extremely important to building mass. Anyone who doesn’t think so is deluded. You can have the best training program in the world and stay small if you’re not able to eat enough.

[quote]warriork wrote:
Well, that’s great sasquatch, but obviously you don’t know a damn thing about the U.S. Army, this is a job that can be done 24 hrs a day and 7 days a week, and considering the job my friend does, TANK INSTRUCTOR STAFF SERGEANT for 1000 privates or sometimes maybe even more at FORT KNOX of course he works 18 hour days. He doesn’t have the luxury of what civilians do, which is plan his own time!, and plus you are only authorized to have 4 hours of sleep a day, if the mission is hard or demanding then you will work overtime.

[/quote]

And what exactly is thinking outside the box? You think your friend is not getting solid nutrition necessary for growth? I highly doubt it.

[quote]warriork wrote:

[/quote]

I’m not sure how anything you’ve stated pertains to my post. I didn’t blast the guys job or the army. I simply stated-that working 18 hours a day and sleeping 4-he did not put on the lean mass you claimed. Not doing that schedule.
I know of NO military service where it is decreed that you only are autrhorized 4 hrs sleep per day. Times of war notwithsatnding or for some short term training.
Your assessment that training and protein synthesis were more important than food was wrong. Simple as that.
Work out all you want, you aint bulking without food.

If you can take the $900 and spend it yourself, get a membership to a Sam’s Club or Costco for 40 bucks. I can buy chicken for something like $0.56/lb with skin and bone in, or around $1.00/lb skinless and boneless. I feed myself for usually a month or two on $100. Granted, I’m not eating a ton, I just eat clean, cause I’m not trying to get much bigger right now, but still . . . a pound of chicken is a hell of a way to get some protein in there. Find a wholesaler!