BP Suicide Grip

[quote]chompers wrote:
If you like your face the way it is then I’d suggest wrapping your thumbs around the bar.[/quote]

Maybe I should switch to thumbless. Will it make me better looking?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
You may not be able to tell, but in both instances you are using force to change the distance between you and a bar. Swinging from the bar, the only time you go thumbless is when your letting go, try letting go of the bar next time your pressing. It’ll help you breathe better.
[/quote]

Read my previous posts, kiddo. I guess that’s too hard for you to do, so I will paraphrase it for you here:

Unless you are a shitload bigger, and a shitload stronger than me - shut the fuck up about what you think is best for me.

Now - you might weigh 250lbs, and bench 500 - but based on your posts here, I doubt it.

If I am correct in my assumption, then you need to take my advice for those like you wishing to give me advice.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
You may not be able to tell, but in both instances you are using force to change the distance between you and a bar. Swinging from the bar, the only time you go thumbless is when your letting go, try letting go of the bar next time your pressing. It’ll help you breathe better.

Read my previous posts, kiddo. I guess that’s too hard for you to do, so I will paraphrase it for you here:

Unless you are a shitload bigger, and a shitload stronger than me - shut the fuck up about what you think is best for me.

Now - you might weigh 250lbs, and bench 500 - but based on your posts here, I doubt it.

If I am correct in my assumption, then you need to take my advice for those like you wishing to give me advice.
[/quote]

haha I love it, that outta shut him up.

Fat boy comment must have struck a nerve.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Fat boy comment must have struck a nerve.
[/quote]

Not at all. Why would you assume I am fat? Because I weigh more than 165?

I can see how soy-loving twinks like yourself would think someone who needs a ladder rated at more than 125 pounds would be considered fat. But I promise - nothing that comes out (or goes in for that matter) of your mouth moves my give-a-shit-o-meter at all.

I like to go a little in between, instead of pinning the thumb back or wrapping it around the bar, I like to place the thumb directly on the bar (think pronated thumbs up postition).

Doing closed grip benches one of my thumbs just couldn’t take the strain anymore. The real damage was done from other things, but heavy benches tear the hell out of it if I closed grip it. I dont feel safe pinning the thumb back though, and I feel stronger this way. To each his own.

Dorian Yates used a suicide grip in his training. I don’t remember his reasons, but I do remember his advice which was that if you go this route, make sure you have a competent spotter.

Since I bench without a spotter most of the time, I stick with the conventional grip.

After participating on this thread, I went into the gym and tried a normal grip but It just didn’t feel as good. As far as safety goes, you can drop the bar with either grip. If you look at the vid posted above you’ll see a guy dropping the bar with a CLOSED grip. I think the chances of this happening could be reduced if you strengthen your forearms with reverse wrist curls.