BP Suicide Grip

[quote]Hagar wrote:
AminoBoss wrote:

Suicide grip gone wrong…

www.optometrists.org/eye_doctors.html[/quote]

lol lol

Regardless of which grip is safer, how the hell are you supposed to squeeze the fuck out of the bar and pull it apart with a false grip?

[quote]ninearms wrote:
Regardless of which grip is safer, how the hell are you supposed to squeeze the fuck out of the bar and pull it apart with a false grip?[/quote]

I’ve been doing it wrong all these years. I thought just pushed the bar up. I didn’t realize you had to squeeze, and fuck it.

[quote]ninearms wrote:
Regardless of which grip is safer, how the hell are you supposed to squeeze the fuck out of the bar and pull it apart with a false grip?[/quote]

you can’t

In BJJ/submission grappling you use the thumbless grip a lot for kimuras, americanas and other holds.

However, when holding heavy metal bars over you chest/neck, use your thumb and wrap it around the bar. Like everyone is saying.

[quote]ninearms wrote:

I can very easily “pull the bar apart” with an open grip.

Maybe you guys are doing too much thinking, and not enough doing.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
ninearms wrote:
Regardless of which grip is safer, how the hell are you supposed to squeeze the fuck out of the bar and pull it apart with a false grip?

I can very easily “pull the bar apart” with an open grip.

Maybe you guys are doing too much thinking, and not enough doing. [/quote]

Absolutely correct. I’ve been using it for 13 years and my technique is good enough that I can squeeze the bar pull it apart just fine. I tried the closed grip today and a few days ago. I hate it. You closed grip guys are missing out plus after watching that video I think your at great risk of losing the bar and breaking some ribs.

Thanks for all the opinions, guys. I tried the open grip and wasn’t comfortable with it, so I’ll continue to use a close grip for now.

I wonder what some of our strength coaches do?

I suggest a mixed grip alternating with each rep.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I suggest a mixed grip alternating with each rep.[/quote]

I tried that once. That’s pretty much all it took to convince me that you need to maintain the same grip At a minimum of one set.

But oddly enough - it wasn’t my wrists that were weak. Turns out - your sternum is one of the weakest parts of your body.

Seems like a natural grip would be more natural, but I guess everyone’s different. When you do dumbbell bench press, what kind of grip do you use? I would imagine your thumbs are wrapped around the dumbbell handle.

When I do close grip bench presses, then I use a false grip, same with pullups and rows, I don’t really think about it I just do what’s natural. I don’t really think there’s a right or wrong way either, people do both and have gotten results with both.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I tried that once. That’s pretty much all it took to convince me that you need to maintain the same grip At a minimum of one set.

But oddly enough - it wasn’t my wrists that were weak. Turns out - your sternum is one of the weakest parts of your body. [/quote]

You have to train your sternum to act like a trampoline. It is the quickest way to improve your bench.

rainjack wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

But oddly enough - it wasn’t my wrists that were weak. Turns out - your sternum is one of the weakest parts of your body.

You have to train your sternum to act like a trampoline. It is the quickest way to improve your bench.[/quote]

So that is what the college guys are doing! Damn! Learn something new every day…

I would like to see gymnast using open grips when they are swinging from bar to bar.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I would like to see gymnast using open grips when they are swinging from bar to bar.[/quote]

umm…ok??? How the hell do you bench press

You have to train your sternum to act like a trampoline. It is the quickest way to improve your bench.[/quote]

I don’t do functional training.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I would like to see gymnast using open grips when they are swinging from bar to bar.[/quote]

What in the HELL does swinging from a bar have to do with bench pressing?

I’d much rather see the female gymnasts do their floor routine in wet t-shirts.

But whatever floats your boat, sparky.

I went to a suicide grip when i cut my hand and couldnt wrap my thumb around the bar,I stayed with it for years,it just feels better, i use both grips now, but thumbs around kills my wrist when i go really heavy in a shirt, but it is hard to use thumbless when using heavy bands.

You may not be able to tell, but in both instances you are using force to change the distance between you and a bar. Swinging from the bar, the only time you go thumbless is when your letting go, try letting go of the bar next time your pressing. It’ll help you breathe better.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
I would like to see gymnast using open grips when they are swinging from bar to bar.

What in the HELL does swinging from a bar have to do with bench pressing?

I’d much rather see the female gymnasts do their floor routine in wet t-shirts.

But whatever floats your boat, sparky. [/quote]

If you like your face the way it is then I’d suggest wrapping your thumbs around the bar.