Blacklabel's Raw Log

[quote]mrodock wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
My back still feels a little fucked up. Im still gonna squat tommorow. Just gonna keep the belt tight on every set.

good luck and use your instincts

really keep your chest up and tight [/quote]

Thanks man. I tried it today, there wasnt too much pain, its just my back was so weak I could barely keep myself uprite.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
mrodock wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
My back still feels a little fucked up. Im still gonna squat tommorow. Just gonna keep the belt tight on every set.

good luck and use your instincts

really keep your chest up and tight

Thanks man. I tried it today, there wasnt too much pain, its just my back was so weak I could barely keep myself uprite.[/quote]

Hoping you have a speedy recovery, better to error on the side of caution as you did.

Did some of the squats today that I didnt do yesterday, looked like this.

Squat:
(50%) 170x5x1
(60%) 200x5x1
(70%) 235x5x2
(75%) 250x4x4

Did the 4th set, and my back wasnt doing to good, so I didnt do the last set. I really dont know if I can handle 285 on saturday, this workout was hell for my back! I really was hoping sheiko would work for me, and I still believe it can, but id say it all comes down to saturday (might move it to sunday).

When doing a routine that has as much volume as sheiko, it is really important, as you experienced, that your form is very good, and that it’s good on all reps.

I hope you’ll make it through it, but make sure to have someone check your form.

[quote]jonatan-shg wrote:
When doing a routine that has as much volume as sheiko, it is really important, as you experienced, that your form is very good, and that it’s good on all reps.

I hope you’ll make it through it, but make sure to have someone check your form.[/quote]

Thanks man.

My training partner said the rep was good. My back was just messed and tired from the whole routine.

Well, maybe your work capacity ain’t high enough for that kind of volume yet then, might be.

Well, maybe your work capacity ain’t high enough for that kind of volume yet then, might be.[/quote]

I guess thats a possibility, but I am basing these of my TRUE 1RM’s.

Yesterday I worked up to 225x3x5 on bench with sheiko. Didnt squat, but the back is feeling MUCH better. Hopefully ill be able to work up to 285x2x3 tommorow, along w/ the 240x2x3 bench, hopefully mixing those two days wont mess me up to bad.

3-31-09 sheiko #37 - week 4 - day 1 and 3 mixed

Bench press:
(50%) 140x5x1
(60%) 170x4x1
(70%) 195x3x2
(80%) 225x3x2
(85%) 240x2x3

Squat:
(50%) 170x5x1
(60%) 200x4x1
(70%) 235x3x2
(80%) 275x3x2-suppose to be 270
(85%) 285x2x3

Thats all I did today. The coach had to get out of the weightoom, so I couldnt do anything else.

Bench was suprisingly hard. 225 is usually easy at the school, but today it was pretty challenging. 240 was ok. Latley ive been doing slow negatives (not on purpose) because I try and keep my elbows tucked.

I was really pressed for time during squats. I had something like 2 minute rests between the 285 sets, and I completley bottomed out on every rep, lowest ive ever gone.

I hate to type this, but I dont feel like ive gotten any stronger. I feel like I could have done all of this at the beggining of the cycle, and thursday is my last day. Ill max everything next week on wednesday.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

I hate to type this, but I dont feel like ive gotten any stronger. I feel like I could have done all of this at the beggining of the cycle, and thursday is my last day. Ill max everything next week on wednesday.[/quote]

The truth is 4 weeks that didn’t completely go smoothly is not a lot of time to get stronger. If you do want to give Sheiko programming another shot down the road I would recommend giving Dave Bate’s 13 week program a try. There is one conditioning week, then 29 (lower volume than 37) followed by 37 (there are some minor alterations to both 29 and 37), followed by a 4 week peak. This would give you the opportunity to work your way into the higher volume, give your body sometime to get stronger, then use proper peaking. None of which doing 37 by itself, resting a week and then testing maxes affords.

If I have gotten a correct read on your personality from reading your log then I might be right in concluding that Wendler’s 5/3/1 program would be excellent for you. If you aren’t familiar with it I would really encourage you to give it a look. There is a good thread on strength sports and Wendler’s book is only $20 on elitefts. I purchased a previous e-book which outlined 5/3/1.

I’m quite new to lifting as well so I understand it is pretty difficult to figure out how to program, what exercises to choose, etc., etc. I can’t imagine trying to figure it all out at 16 or 17. I think your only real mistake with doing Sheiko 37 is you had not built up enough low back endurance (i.e. you hadn’t been deadlifting consistently for any real length of time). But this game is all about learning from our experiences . I suppose to some extent the people that learn the quickest become the strongest (there are a lot of other factors obviously).

In any case, all the best! Remember, it is a marathon, not a sprint!

[quote]mrodock wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

I hate to type this, but I dont feel like ive gotten any stronger. I feel like I could have done all of this at the beggining of the cycle, and thursday is my last day. Ill max everything next week on wednesday.

The truth is 4 weeks that didn’t completely go smoothly is not a lot of time to get stronger. If you do want to give Sheiko programming another shot down the road I would recommend giving Dave Bate’s 13 week program a try. There is one conditioning week, then 29 (lower volume than 37) followed by 37 (there are some minor alterations to both 29 and 37), followed by a 4 week peak. This would give you the opportunity to work your way into the higher volume, give your body sometime to get stronger, then use proper peaking. None of which doing 37 by itself, resting a week and then testing maxes affords.

If I have gotten a correct read on your personality from reading your log then I might be right in concluding that Wendler’s 5/3/1 program would be excellent for you. If you aren’t familiar with it I would really encourage you to give it a look. There is a good thread on strength sports and Wendler’s book is only $20 on elitefts. I purchased a previous e-book which outlined 5/3/1.

I’m quite new to lifting as well so I understand it is pretty difficult to figure out how to program, what exercises to choose, etc., etc. I can’t imagine trying to figure it all out at 16 or 17. I think your only real mistake with doing Sheiko 37 is you had not built up enough low back endurance (i.e. you hadn’t been deadlifting consistently for any real length of time). But this game is all about learning from our experiences . I suppose to some extent the people that learn the quickest become the strongest (there are a lot of other factors obviously).

In any case, all the best! Remember, it is a marathon, not a sprint![/quote]

Actually Modi sent me the outline for the 13 week cycle, but I couldnt use it on my computer, so I just decided to do #37 bye itself.

If you have a link to the 13 week cycle, id be more than willing to give it a try. Of course, first I would get my back up 100%, and deadlift for another couple months or so and then try it.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

If you have a link to the 13 week cycle, id be more than willing to give it a try. Of course, first I would get my back up 100%, and deadlift for another couple months or so and then try it.[/quote]

http://doc.erictalmant.com/13%20wk%20beginner%20program.doc
http://pdf.erictalmant.com/13%20wk%20beginner%20program.pdf

One of these should work. You may want to try Modi’s on a couple of different school computers because with the calculator it sure makes things nice and simple. Actually, if you get to the point where you want to do it I would be willing to put your numbers into my spreadsheet and then put it into a word document that is printer friendly. Just pm me if/when you want me to do this.

[quote]mrodock wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

If you have a link to the 13 week cycle, id be more than willing to give it a try. Of course, first I would get my back up 100%, and deadlift for another couple months or so and then try it.

http://doc.erictalmant.com/13%20wk%20beginner%20program.doc
http://pdf.erictalmant.com/13%20wk%20beginner%20program.pdf

One of these should work. You may want to try Modi’s on a couple of different school computers because with the calculator it sure makes things nice and simple. Actually, if you get to the point where you want to do it I would be willing to put your numbers into my spreadsheet and then put it into a word document that is printer friendly. Just pm me if/when you want me to do this.[/quote]

That’s fine, theyre working. And thanks alot!

4-2-09 sheiko 37 - week 4 - day 5

Squat:
135-warmup
(50%) 170x5x1
(60%) 200x4x1
(70%) 235x3x2
(80%) 270x3x6

Bench press:
(50%) 140x5x1
(60%) 170x5x1
(70%) 195x5x2-lowered weight to 185 on last sets, really focused on tucking my elbows and keeping good form.

DB flies: 20x10x5

That’s it. Finished sheiko #37.

Squat was pretty hard today, my legs were pretty damn sore, but once I got into the heavier sets it wasnt that hard to hit parallel.

I could have done 195 for 5x5, but I decided against it, because I was flaring my elbows, really focused on keeping them tucked, my triceps and shoulders are killing me right now. (in a good way)

So latley ive been lifting with the track team, their a shitload more intense in the weightroom then the football team.

So today before their lifting, I went down to talk to a few of their throwers. They gave me a chance to throw and I did, threw something like 27’. Its not that good, but considering it was my first throw ever I was pretty impressed with myself. Ill surely be looking into joining next year.

1-3-09 some shit:

Joined the track team today. First day was an indoor practice because of rain. Went like this:

2 front planks:
1 minute rest

2 left and right planks:
30 sec. hold, 30 second rest

1 mile run

Wheelbarrels
Piggy backs
Keep away (to work on agility or something)

1/2 mile run

Lifting

Clean and jerk: Horrible form
115x5
145x2
185x1
185x1

Light recovery work:
Lat pulldowns
DB curls

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
I hate to type this, but I dont feel like ive gotten any stronger. I feel like I could have done all of this at the beggining of the cycle, and thursday is my last day. Ill max everything next week on wednesday.[/quote]

This is how it is supposed to feel. It’s called concentraded loading. You’re feeling weal at the end of the 4 weeks, because your body has been blasted, then you deload, and then you supercompensate and become strong.

BlackLabel wrote:

This is how it is supposed to feel. It’s called concentraded loading. You’re feeling weal at the end of the 4 weeks, because your body has been blasted, then you deload, and then you supercompensate and become strong.

[/quote]

So your saying I should deload this week?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

So your saying I should deload this week?[/quote]

After a completed 4 week sheiko you should deload, yes, or change the lifts, so you’re doing front squat, cg bench and such, and less volume, works fine, if you have high work capacity…

Im gonna take jonatan’s advice and do a deload week. I think ill need it, I really have to get use to all the conditioning fromk track.

And for no reason at all, today’s diet:

Breakfast, 1:00PM: Breakfast sandwhich
2:00PM: Another Breakfast sandwhich
4:00PM: shitload of steak
Dinner, 7:00PM: Pork and mashed potatoes (which im eating now)

Ill probably have 1 more large meal, and a small one before bed. I dont usually eat this much, but…who the fuck cares.