Best Way to Find Out Body Fat %?

Well this thread has been an eye opener. I thought I would just some advice about how to find out about my body fat % haha. I realize now you can go the wrong way when you hear “you need to eat a LOT to gain muscle” I’ve been doing that, gaining that fat too.

Haha, what’s important is what YOU need. Alot of guys that get into lifting are very underweight, and this helps them. But you’re coming at it from the other side. It’s ok to rely on your intuition a little. For reference I’m 5’11" 180 in my current profile pic. Walk 30 mi a week, lift 5-6 days a week and my calories are always around 2500 when putting on muscle. If I posted that on reddit bodybuilding forum, they’d tell me I need to be pounding 4000/day, and I’d probably be 210 at least in 3 months.

I have a speculation based purely on hunch, no hard evidence really, that guys tend to overstate how much they eat anyway. Maybe that’s their target, or that’s what they hit one day they tracked, but it’s not how much they’re eating day in and day out.

Skinfold test is the biggest bang for your buck. And truth be told, all you’re interested in is decreasing % body fat. Either that or you could be wanting bragging rights. I have no understanding for that.

I used skinfold test to help me gauge progress as the contest approached. If the measurements are decreasing and strength is staying reasonable, then all is well. Who cared what the test said my % body fat was? Was it improving, is all that mattered.

Jon Andersen’s Deep Water program is a prime example of putting on muscle without carbs.

If you are lifting weights, good diet, and want to track your progress, then I would suggest a dexa scan. You will have a baseline that will show you exactly where the fat and muscle is along with your BMR. It will only be useful if you are logging your workouts and diet. If you log and workout honestly, then you can get another one done 3-6 months out and see if what you are doing meets your body comp goals.

Outside of tracking progress, I don’t see much need for a number.

Today I started what I plan to be a lifelong go of eating healthier.

Breakfast: Cooked oatmeal and added a little sugar-free syrup, teaspoon of peanut butter with stevia, scoop of protein powder and some almond milk and scrambled 2 eggs and added some salsa on top. I am going to make this my staple breakfast, it helps I loved it.

Brunch: Protein shake with coconut oil and almond milk with stevia

Lunch: Grilled chicken wrap

Dinner: This salad bar called souper salad they cook me a grilled chicken breast and got a salad with carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, brocolli, cauliflower and olive oil added kidney beans and beets and a sweet potato

Drank mostly green tea all day. I did drink 2 diet dr peppers which I have a problem with it may sound stupid but I can’t quit them all together. 2 is very much on the lighter side of what I usually drink. Some people say they effect your weight others don’t. I know at least they don’t help you in any way.

I’m going a few weeks without creatine to get rid of bloating.

1 Like

This is silly. The benefits of creatine far outweigh the little bit of water weight it adds. For most people, you’ll add 1-4lb in that first week and that’s it. It’s not like it will perpetually keep you holding unwanted water weight. If you’re truly “bloated” from creatine you’re using way too much. 5g/workout is sufficient.

So by cutting creatine out for a few weeks, what will happen is you lose that water weight, only to gain it right back once you start using it again. This is GOOD water weight though. Just google the benefits of creatine :smiley:

1 Like

Always wanted to run some creatine. Just steroids for now :joy:

1 Like

It’s next level…once you go there, ain’t no goin’ back!

1 Like

Biggest reason for not doing it is I’d be inconsistent with it, and from what I’ve read it’s best used somewhat steady.

I’ve never thought of using creatine only on workout days. Is the rationale for that that taking 5g per day is overkill?

Once your muscle stores are saturated you can’t force them to hold more creatine. So skipping 2-3 days a week will have no affect, and it’s easier for me to remember just throwing it in with my pre-workout.

1 Like

I remember when it was a given and everybody knew you had to cycle creatine wasn’t even a debate. Now it’s sacreligious to even try it funny how things change.