Best Way to Find Out Body Fat %?

I googled “dexa scan near Lubbock tx” and found a few. Try this one

https://www.umchealthsystem.com/medical-services/cancer-care/locations-contact/umc-breast-imaging-center

There were also some fitness related ones too you might could call.

1 Like

Cool I will. So I need to ask for what exactly? A Dexa scan?

I’d guess ~30%

1 Like

What sucks about my weight is I was doing keto before lifting and got down to 192. Then when I started lifting I ditched keto taking creatine and eating more I blew up.

Why not do exactly that again with the lifting?

3 Likes

When I called, I was real polite, let them know I was looking for something and knew it was a little odd, then told them I needed a dexa scan. Took a little persuasion for the first one. But it happened lol now they don’t mind.

I keep hearing how you can’t gain muscle without carbs or mixed opinions about it.

Ok so if they ask why I needed one, what do I tell them? I figure it’s better to ask you ahead instead of them asking and me just saying “to check my body fat”

I wasn’t trying to dunk on you above; I was just stating the truth about guys your height and weight. I’m genuinely impressed by all you’ve overcome, and the fact that you’re striving for more.

IMO you have about 50lbs to lose before you should even be thinking about what’s optimal for gaining muscle. Plus, you’re diabetic right? Changes the game until you get that in check.

What’s important here isn’t the specific diet. There’s infinite approaches that will work. What’s important is that it was something that resonated with you and let you drop alot of weight.

There’s no reason you can’t use carbs right now around workouts; however, you’ll need to revamp your approach. Whatever you did caused you to gain 30lb back.

1 Like

This is the truth.

If you want to lose weight then lose weight. Forget about the numbers.

The goal for me is to drop down to around 12-14% although this is just a reference for me. Im probably around 16-17% atm but i will know at what point im happy with the way i look. Thats the only thing that matters.

Im considered obese at 230 5’11. But the ffmi scale has me around 27.

No offense taken man and you were right. I think I’m in a little bit of denial about it but I am considered obese. Just need to get the right diet I think.

1 Like

Do you think I should go heavy on cardio? I’m not unwilling to do that and I’ve done it before.

The thing is though I know my body fat was probably around the same or a little more before I was lifting weights even at 192. I had no muscle mass not saying I have tons of it now but I’m the one who goes to draw blood and they couldn’t find a vein.

No, I’d actually start you doing zero cardio.

Please explain.

Here’s from another forum that explains my reasoning: Getting Back on the Horse - #12 by jskrabac

1 Like

That makes sense. It’s frustrating because I have a pedometer watch and I’ve walked at least 12,000 steps a day. Doesn’t seem to help me that much. The entire time I gained the weight I was doing the 12k steps.

Not surprising. It’s 100% your diet. Nothing wrong with walking. Don’t stop that. I meant more moderate intensity, intervals, etc. Walking doesn’t affect performance in the gym and only aids recovery if anything.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been doing HIIT and I go to this recreation center and play raquetball and basketball 1-2 times a week. So you think I should cut all of it out?

And I should be doing weights and keto with walking?

Definitely don’t cut anything that’s fun for you! I don’t consider recreational activities cardio either haha. But I’d start without HIIT. The style of diet is mostly irrelevant. What matters is maintaining a deficit, getting enough protein, and making appropriate adjustments week to week based on how the scale is moving.

2 Likes