Being Afraid of Bulking

So this past month i’ve started my first official “bulk”, and am loving it so far - MUCH more than dieting for the past 3 months before that.

Since i’ve been on this site, i’ve obviously noticed all the people who are completely afraid of bulking because they “gain fat easily” and often say they’ve tried to bulk but only put on fat.

What’s interesting is that I thought maybe this was the case with me - I started bulking at around 199-200lbs and just 3 days later I was seeing 207-208lbs on the scale - the highest I had seen in a month was around 202. Obviously though, this couldn’t all be fat, even though a lot of it looked like it, I figured it was probably water weight and, of course, the fact that I was always full of food. (I shamefully admit I was worried that I was gonna lose the small amount of ab definition I had)

This kind of went away after a while though - I’m still consuming the same amount of water and food but don’t feel/look nearly as fat, and actually feel leaner than I did before I started bulking.

What my question is - is this a normal, common process? Was my body just craving calories so that after I finally decided to give it some, it held onto everything it could get? Was my digestive system maybe not adjusted to eating that much food, making my stomach look distended because it couldn’t handle it?

If that’s the case, could this be a reason that so many people say they “gain fat easily” when really it’s just water weight and the shock they give their probably slow digestive system after being in a hypocaloric state for so long?

I can look like I’ve gained lbs of fat after a carb heavy meal that causes me to retain lots of sub-q water.

It happens, it’s not the end of the world.

Same thing happens to me, in fact its happening now. Retaining water.

I’ve noticed a break in period both times I’ve bulked. How fat you look tapers off after a few days to a few weeks.

To store 1g of glycogen, the human body needs to store about 4g of water along with it.

Thats also why you are very light when you are carb depleted.

I without doubt have a belly. ALL of the time since I started bulking. But where my gut is fatty, my shoulders, lower and upper arms, upper back and chest is tight and i can only pinch at skin. I’m hypertrophy training, so I’m not toned yet, but im solid and as soon as I start cutting cycle, I just know I’ll see those abs I’m hiding.

Inshort every time your infront of the mirror side on, just turn that baby to the front and say, man haven’t I grown. If you can put it on you can take it off.

[quote]Naturanabolic wrote:
I without doubt have a belly. ALL of the time since I started bulking. But where my gut is fatty, my shoulders, lower and upper arms, upper back and chest is tight and i can only pinch at skin. I’m hypertrophy training, so I’m not toned yet, but im solid and as soon as I start cutting cycle, I just know I’ll see those abs I’m hiding.

Inshort every time your infront of the mirror side on, just turn that baby to the front and say, man haven’t I grown. If you can put it on you can take it off.
[/quote]

started training legs yet?

nah im a newb, legs i begin next week. Ive just been doing upper body. BIG MISTAKE. so im doing an all ove split routine. Why d’you ask?

cOS people who only train beach muscles don’t belong here.

nah im a newb, legs i begin next week. Ive just been doing upper body. BIG MISTAKE. so im doing an all ove split routine. Why d’you ask?[/quote]

why? There’s a ton of guys in my weightroom who don’t, and walk around with their mediocre puffed out chest, trying to stare people down. I (we), don’t want to see you become that guy. See the post above mine. Me, and just about everyone here did the same thing. It’s a matter of what you see as priority, and for me, you and most people it was probably huge guns right? People end up looking like a disporportionate freak when not training legs, which on a bodybuilding site where we should strive for balance, strength, and size, not training legs doesn’t fit into the picture.

Yeah. And the saddest part of it is that those are usually the first people to brag about hitting their new 15 rep body weight pull up record. I’m envious, because it’s more than I can do, then I remember that my legs alone are probably around their weight anyway. Then I don’t feel so bad.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Naturanabolic wrote:
nah im a newb, legs i begin next week. Ive just been doing upper body. BIG MISTAKE. so im doing an all ove split routine. Why d’you ask?

why? There’s a ton of guys in my weightroom who don’t, and walk around with their mediocre puffed out chest, trying to stare people down. I (we), don’t want to see you become that guy. See the post above mine. Me, and just about everyone here did the same thing. It’s a matter of what you see as priority, and for me, you and most people it was probably huge guns right? People end up looking like a disporportionate freak when not training legs, which on a bodybuilding site where we should strive for balance, strength, and size, not training legs doesn’t fit into the picture.
[/quote]

Like I said im a newb to this, I did want big guns you’re right, Im a young father and thought I had no time to work whole body, just went for the upper, I work all day and my son watches me workout 3 times a week for 2 hours a time, before I have to put him to bed, but now after an injury DUE to my disproportionate workout I’m amending my ways. AND I BELIEVE EVERYONE HAS TO LEARN SOMEHOW AND WE ALL BELONG. I have no interest in staring anyone down, I’d just as soon improve myself and to hell with anyone else, and thanks to all the guys on this site’s help, Im doing just that. This for me was a complete change in lifestyle, I quit drinking, smoking, and other things and Its all about the new me. Also I have heard lower lifts help release GH and large amounts of testosterone. I am looking foward now to my new BALANCED routine and healthy training.
The last thing I want to do now is end up top heavy, if you know what I mean, I’ll leave that to my girlfriend.
peace

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
cOS people who only train beach muscles don’t belong here.[/quote]

My speedos expose my legs and some ball bag, its a special beach

zephead4747 wrote:
Naturanabolic wrote:

Like I said im a newb to this, I did want big guns you’re right, Im a young father and thought I had no time to work whole body, just went for the upper, I work all day and my son watches me workout 3 times a week for 2 hours a time, before I have to put him to bed, but now after an injury DUE to my disproportionate workout I’m amending my ways. AND I BELIEVE EVERYONE HAS TO LEARN SOMEHOW AND WE ALL BELONG. I have no interest in staring anyone down, I’d just as soon improve myself and to hell with anyone else, and thanks to all the guys on this site’s help, Im doing just that. This for me was a complete change in lifestyle, I quit drinking, smoking, and other things and Its all about the new me. Also I have heard lower lifts help release GH and large amounts of testosterone. I am looking foward now to my new BALANCED routine and healthy training.
The last thing I want to do now is end up top heavy, if you know what I mean, I’ll leave that to my girlfriend.
peace
[/quote]

Great post.

To answer OP: esp after cutting, you will put back weight quickly cause calorie change. Don’t worry. Its natural. I fluxate 5 lbs a day. Like u mentioned, its food and water weight. Weigh urself first thing in the morning in a fasted state to get more consistant readings… if you need to take a piss and shit and dont eat and drink anything before hand