Any Whiskey Men or Women?

Laphroaig man right here.

I’ve tried almost everything offered by them…the single cask, quarter cask, 15 year, 25 year, 50 year (had that one bought for me by a Japanese surgeon…can’t imagine the cost!).

My favorite out of the bunch is the comparatively-cheap quarter cask, followed by the 15 year (which is apparently the favorite of Prince Charles)

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Great whiskey:

Whyte & McKay (it’s a blended Scotch and only found in UK, so maybe our UK brethren can ship a bottle stateside)
.[/quote]

Are you serious? You should be thrown into the well of whiskey ignorance.

Whyte & McKay is horrendous.

Its like camel piss but stronger and worse. But hey! I’ll gladly send you some if you want.

You want some serious stuff like:

Laphroaig 10 Year Single Malt from Islay (Scotland)

Macallan 30 year Single Malt from Speyside (Scotland)

Glenmorangie 10 or 18 Year (Scotland)

Basically come here to Scotland.

This being said, Jamesons Irish Whiskey & Coke is pretty good.

[quote]CC wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
BigJawnMize wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
I’ve been trying to figure out how to get some moonshine. I’ve always wanted to try that.

You are probably kidding, but strangely it is not all that hard. I have distilled watermelon wine into watermelon brandy. Good stuff…

Wasn’t kidding, actually.

My only advice is to be veeeeeery careful where/who you get it from (if you’re going for the real stuff, that is).

The stories of people going blind from batches of cheaply distilled moonshine are not just old wives’ tales.
[/quote]

Yikes. Is the blindness permanent? I think I need to just learn how to make my own :wink:

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:

I think I need to just learn how to make my own :wink:
[/quote]

I learned to distill things in my college chem labs. If you think about it distilling is a refining process used in a handfull of industry. You can pick up most of the supplies to make a stil in a chem supply store and home depot. Mind you it is going to be very small and only give you a couple shots but it might be the easiest way to learn.

I have good memories hanging out with the company supply gunny and drinking George Dickel out of water glasses, with a bottle of tap water on the side.

Now, I prefer single malt scotch with 2 ice cubes. I have half a bottle of The Macallan 24 in the cabinet.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Laphroaig man right here.

I’ve tried almost everything offered by them…the single cask, quarter cask, 15 year, 25 year, 50 year (had that one bought for me by a Japanese surgeon…can’t imagine the cost!).

My favorite out of the bunch is the comparatively-cheap quarter cask, followed by the 15 year (which is apparently the favorite of Prince Charles) [/quote]

To each his own, butt hat was the most vile foot swamp tasting nasty ass stuff I ever had. I gave it to my father in law, who loves me. He said he finally got it down by mixing it with cherry coke.

Now to prove I’m not a total philistine, I currently have 12 year old Dalmore, McClellan, Dalwhinie, Elijah Craig 18 year old, and Jack Daniels single abrrel.

I know some like it and if you do, good for you. But I just can’t get it down.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

To each his own, butt hat was the most vile foot swamp tasting nasty ass stuff I ever had. I gave it to my father in law, who loves me. He said he finally got it down by mixing it with cherry coke.

Now to prove I’m not a total philistine, I currently have 12 year old Dalmore, McClellan, Dalwhinie, Elijah Craig 18 year old, and Jack Daniels single abrrel.

I know some like it and if you do, good for you. But I just can’t get it down.

[/quote]

Really? Hmmm…well I guess it isn’t suited to everyone’s tastes. It is higher alcohol (48%) and really intensely peaty. You can definitely taste the wood it was aged in as well. It does tend to be a very highly commended whiskey, though

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/laphroaig/whisky3060.html

Bourbon. Eagle Rare 10-year is my current favorite. I have yet to try the 17-year.

Of course, I’d have to say my favorite all-time everyday whiskey would still have to be Jack Daniels.

Either way, perfect with just a couple of ice cubes. No more.

I’m no whiskey connoisseur, but I had this stuff over in Italy once called…Laphroaig I think? Next to the Johnny Blue I had a sip of once, this stuff was the best whiskey I’ve ever had. I saw it in the airport and I think it was only ~30 bucks for a 750 bottle.

I have a roommate who slugs down Jack like it’s his job, so I don’t reallllly like the smell and taste of that so much anymore. Don’t slay me if this stuff’s bad to all you guys who know what you’re talking about, but I really liked Laphroaig.

Not a fan of Knob Creek, but I like Woodford and Maker’s. Someone gave me a bottle of Four Roses last month, that stuff sucks. Had Sazerac rye for the first time at a bar a couple weeks ago, might get into ryes. Have yet to try Blanton’s but have heard great things.

No one else is a fan of Old Fashioneds?

I like bourbon (Bookers and bakers being my favorites).
The Laphroig should come with a warning…it has a very ammonia-like smell and flavor that really turned me off. Maybe some day I’ll try it again, but I bought a abottle after hearing good things and felt lucky to sell it to a friend.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I like bourbon (Bookers and bakers being my favorites).

The Laphroig should come with a warning…it has a very ammonia-like smell and flavor that really turned me off. Maybe some day I’ll try it again, but I bought a abottle after hearing good things and felt lucky to sell it to a friend.[/quote]

Scotch can have a bit of an iodine/medicinal smell. It tends to be an acquired taste.

Screw whiskey! I’m a rum guy:)

I love Jameson’s as an everyday kind of whiskey. I also like MacClellan’s 15 year and Maker’s Mark. Jim Beam is also pretty nice, especially mixed.

I think Jameson’s mixes great with Guiness.

Wild turkey 101 or Rebel Yell. Elijah Craig and Evan Williams are also good.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Had some Oban 14 year old Scotch tonight that was very, very good.[/quote]

Oban definitely makes a great whiskey. Quite easy to drink and a good segue into the world of single malt for first-time drinkers

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
Screw whiskey! I’m a rum guy:)[/quote]

Rum is great with coke or in cocktails but do you drink it by itself?

[quote]Spry wrote:
Rum is great with coke or in cocktails but do you drink it by itself?
[/quote]

I’ve drank it by itself many times and I’ve found it’s much more tolerable than Vodka or Whiskey. Even the cheap stuff… which is all I’ve really had. lol.

But yeah, with Coke… it’s great. Coke N’ Rum is my favorite drink