Any Whiskey Men or Women?

I love whiskey. I’m on a budget right now, so it’s usually Jim Beam. When I’m feeling spendy and/or know someone spending a weekend in Canada who is willing to stop at a duty-free, I get some Crown Royal. I typically drink it on the rocks.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
YES!

Old Crow Bourbon Whiskey. Cheap and gets the job done.[/quote]

@ your avatar

The PEOPLE’s Elbow!!!

Niiiice

Whiskey is good too!!!

I like scotch but I won’t pass up whiskey either. I like the scottish and irish varities best but I haven’t had any in while now.

Johnny Walker Blue label is one of my favourites, but as a regular it would be 10 year old Glenmorangie, it has a really nice liqourice flavour.

If you like Toffee, a Macallan Fine Oak 10 year is a really good one, only £25 a bottle.

The best I’ve had was a Killyloch 1967 limited edition, but at £1000 a bottle, it’s not something you can have all the time.

LR

[quote]borrek wrote:
Whiskey…it’s what real men drink. Personally I’m a bourbon guy, and neat is the only way for me to go.

By far the best I’ve had is Pappy Van Winkle
http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM32?opendocument

Do yourself a favor and try it if you come across it on a menu. Or, if you’re serious pick a bottle up, you won’t be disappointed

The old fall back for me is Knob Creek.

Any other bourbon/scotch/whiskey guys around? [/quote]

A friend of mine turned me on to Elijah Craig single barrel, 18 year old Kentucky Straight Bourbon. It is Under $50/fifth not too expensive. It is perfect poured neat. It has some very mellow vanilla and caramel flavors. The alcohol practically evaporates as it hits the tongue making it almost completely smooth. Two-thumbs up for bourbon drinkers.

Being from Kentucky (and one county away from Bourbon County, as a matter of fact), yeah I like bourbon . . . just a tad.

I’m actually part of the Bluegrass Bourbon Club at a bar called Horse & Barrel here in my hometown (it’s been recognized as one of the best bourbon bars in the world - by Whiskey Magazine, no less). The bar serves something like 50+ different types of bourbon, and if you drink them all (not in one sitting of course; they keep a card for you as you go along) you get your name on a plaque down there and they invite you to private tastings and lectures with master distillers, private tours, things like that. Pretty awesome.

Now for my recommendations and favorites -

For the really expensive stuff: Pappy 20-year

My other favorite top-shelf: Blanton’s

One I highly recommend to a lot of people and which they are always pleasantly surprised by: Eagle Rare (it’s about the price of a medium-shelf and drinks like a top-shelf; incredibly smooth stuff)

For just everyday sipping: Maker’s or Woodford

[quote]borrek wrote:
Whiskey…it’s what real men drink. Personally I’m a bourbon guy, and neat is the only way for me to go.

By far the best I’ve had is Pappy Van Winkle
http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM32?opendocument

Do yourself a favor and try it if you come across it on a menu. Or, if you’re serious pick a bottle up, you won’t be disappointed

The old fall back for me is Knob Creek.

Any other bourbon/scotch/whiskey guys around? [/quote]

My absolute favorite is Elijah Craig 18 year old single barrel. Smooth as glass. I also enjoy some scotch, Dalwhinnie, Dalmore, and McClellan are some of my favorites.

Jameson is my drink, I need to vary it a little though and try some of the stuff you guys are recommending.

[quote]nowakc wrote:
Jameson is my drink, I need to vary it a little though and try some of the stuff you guys are recommending. [/quote]

I like Jameson.

4 ice cubes, Jim Beam, sugar cube, angostura bitters, stir, drink.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
YES!

Old Crow Bourbon Whiskey. Cheap and gets the job done.[/quote]

+2

Glenmorangie’s (sp) plus a rock are my favorite mild scotch. +1 to Jamieson’s (in coffee for the whiskey. +1 or 2 to Knob Creek - neat, but it gets tough to find. I pity the foo’s with the Crown Royal fetishes, but hey we need cheap antifreeze, up here.
Lastly, I learned about 10 years ago, in the “Gets the Job Done” category, Gentleman Jim burns like Satan’s bag-sweat for the first 9 or 10 shots, but gets really, really smooth after that!

I’ve been trying to figure out how to get some moonshine. I’ve always wanted to try that.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
I’ve been trying to figure out how to get some moonshine. I’ve always wanted to try that. [/quote]

You are probably kidding, but strangely it is not all that hard. I have distilled watermelon wine into watermelon brandy. Good stuff…

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
I’ve been trying to figure out how to get some moonshine. I’ve always wanted to try that. [/quote]

They sell corn whiskey in some liquor stores. Comes in a mason jar and everything. Never tried it, but looks neat.

I love me some Crown special reserve, it’s pricey about $40 a fifth but well worth it. Jameson is another I enjoy but we don’t get along that well for some reason.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Great whiskey:

Suntori Yamazaki 18[/quote]

Just two weekends back, I was handed a glass of this good stuff (on that fine evening, I was best man at my buddy’s wedding) and told it was a Macallan 18. And though it wasn’t, I couldn’t be disappointed.

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
I’ve been trying to figure out how to get some moonshine. I’ve always wanted to try that.

You are probably kidding, but strangely it is not all that hard. I have distilled watermelon wine into watermelon brandy. Good stuff…[/quote]

Wasn’t kidding, actually.

I learned a very valuable lesson last week… never drink whisky with sea kayakers. Whisky wasn’t anything special, some supermarket 10 year old stuff, the amount they put away was scary though.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
BigJawnMize wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:

You are probably kidding, but strangely it is not all that hard. I have distilled watermelon wine into watermelon brandy. Good stuff…

Wasn’t kidding, actually. [/quote]

My only advice is to be veeeeeery careful where/who you get it from (if you’re going for the real stuff, that is).

The stories of people going blind from batches of cheaply distilled moonshine are not just old wives’ tales.