Any Thoughts on Casey Anthony

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
I was not aware that we were bankrupt. [/quote]

Only because your overlords will not admit it.

To anyone paying attention it is all too obvious.[/quote]

We’ve had this conversation many times. I am doing well, able to get business loans at great rates. Just purchased a new car. Food prices are fine and crime rates are low.

Where is the turmoil and havoc that you and your cronies predicted?

If this is a depression then by all means let it continue![/quote]

Hey, that’s cool! Me too.

But it all hinges on the dollars purchasing power…and if you haven’t noticed…
[/quote]

I’ve noticed but I think where you gloom and doomers are mistaken is that just because something is sick does not mean that it’s going to die. Economies evolve for many reasons. The dollar can make a startling come back, over time.[/quote]

The dollar?

Yes.

The US?

No.

[/quote]

Okay that did it, I’m moving to Austria!

[quote]Travis56 wrote:
Does this ruling mean that all accused murderers should be tried under these same standards?[/quote]Standards? Was that a serious question?

Innocent until proven guilty, Proof beyond a reasonable doubt for criminal cases, A trial in front of a jury of your peers… Maybe you are new to America, but this is how it works.

[quote]A high percentage of murders can go unsolved if this is the correct way to come to a verdict.[/quote]There are a couple basic philosophies in the criminal justice system: 1)It is acceptable to wrongly convict and/or put to death a few innocent people as long as we get all of the bad guys, or 2) it is acceptable to let a few bad guys get away as long as we preserve the rights and freedoms of all innocent people. I personally think #2 is better, and I also think that is what the Constitution had in mind.

[quote]Would your stance change Brother Chris if it was your family member.[/quote]If it was his family member, he would likely be filled with grief and rage, but incapable of rendering an unbiased opinion based only on evidence and facts. That is why we have the justice system we do. It seems a lot of people are outraged based on the emotion of this case, but thankfully our justice system does not operate on emotion, prejudice, or public opinion.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Dude, I’m too busy working so I can afford to pay my way through college to turn my degrees into teaching credentials so I can have a positive impact on children like the victim to give a FLYING FUCK about some degenerate halfway across the country.

[/quote]

It was on every national news report for a month. On the network news for years. In every major newspaper. You had no time for those but you watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians?

sorry, but anyone who has a baby girl/boy and actually loves them would have reported them missing within hours(or minutes). A MONTH??? Fuck off. I’m sure there’s a seat in hell waiting for her.

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Dude, I’m too busy working so I can afford to pay my way through college to turn my degrees into teaching credentials so I can have a positive impact on children like the victim to give a FLYING FUCK about some degenerate halfway across the country.

[/quote]

It was on every national news report for a month. On the network news for years. In every major newspaper. You had no time for those but you watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians?

[/quote]

My ex-girlfriend had an unhealthy obsession with that show, hence “ex-girlfriend”. Besides, I am free to watch whatever bullshit I want to watch on TV. Perhaps you missed the facetious nature of my post over in GAL. You see, I’m not on here complaining about anything from that show in any sort of serious manner. Why? Because it means NOTHING. As does this murder/accidental drowning.

[quote]doogie wrote:
I can’t wait for the inevitable Penthouse spread.

You fools who think there was no evidence need to get your heads out of your ass. For 31 days she didn’t report the kid missing. That is all you need to know to fry her.[/quote]

Circumstantial … All this proves is she’s one of the worst mothers in history … Does NOT prove she murdered her daughter … dummy

Karma is a bitch…

Ask the Kardashian father…

Ask Johnny Cochrane…

Ask OJ Simpson…

Ask Ted Kennedy…

She is 4-0, I love her.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:

You fools who think there was no evidence need to get your heads out of your ass. For 31 days she didn’t report the kid missing. That is all you need to know to fry her.[/quote]

Circumstantial … All this proves is she’s one of the worst mothers in history … Does NOT prove she murdered her daughter … dummy[/quote]

Circumstantial evidence is legitimate evidence in a trial. There is direct evidence and circumstantial evidence. Saying it is circumstantial doesn’t diminish it as evidence.

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:

Circumstantial … All this proves is she’s one of the worst mothers in history … Does NOT prove she murdered her daughter … dummy[/quote]

Circumstantial evidence is legitimate evidence in a trial. There is direct evidence and circumstantial evidence. Saying it is circumstantial doesn’t diminish it as evidence.[/quote]

More than mere circumstantial evidence is needed to meet the standard of “Beyond a Reasonable Doubt”

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:

You just need to admit the jury got confused between reasonable doubt and all doubt. The reason everyone seems to be emotionally vested in the case is because it is so clear cut. You didn’t need to be in the jury box for 31 days listening to the defence create slight doubt on each piece of evidence. The jury got confused, plain and simple. They tried to be so mechanical that they didn’t have the wherewithal to connect the dots of evidence and circumstance. Bottom line - she should have been convicted of something. If not murder you’d think she’d get negligence. Maybe the death penalty was harsh, as the case heavily relied on circumstantial evidence BUT there is no doubt, 100% that C.A had something to do with that girls death. What kind of sicko throws their own child in a swamp - accident or not.

In any other western country there would have been given a guilty verdict. Hell, in US military court she would have been guilty. At least now you know why no one wants to give terrorists trial in american civil courts.

The US seems to have a fucked up justice system - from what I’ve heard it is extremely inconsistent. You’ve got guys on death row found guilty from much less circumstantial evidence than in this case.

But then again justice usually finds a way. C.A and that jury now have that little girl on their concious permanently. Some may say that’s just as bad or worse as getting incarcerated knowing you’ve been found guilty and serving your punishment, allowing you to slowly cleanse your concious.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:

Circumstantial evidence is legitimate evidence in a trial. There is direct evidence and circumstantial evidence. Saying it is circumstantial doesn’t diminish it as evidence.[/quote]

More than mere circumstantial evidence is needed to meet the standard of “Beyond a Reasonable Doubt”
[/quote]

From Lawyers.com

Can a jury convict a defendant based only on circumstancial evidence?

Yes. The law recognizes two kinds of evidence, direct and circumstantial.

Direct evidence
is testimony by a witness about what he or she personally observed, heard or experienced.
Circumstantial evidence is indirect evidence. It allows the jury to infer, from other facts
presented and proven, that a particular fact or circumstance exists, even though there has been no
direct proof of it. The only limit on inferences drawn from proven facts is that they must be
logical and reasonable, and not just speculation.

Here’s an easy example. Suppose when you
wake up tomorrow morning, the sidewalk outside your house is wet. Did it rain? There’s no direct
evidence of that, since someone could have used a hose on the sidewalk. The law allows, but does
not require you to find from the fact of the wet sidewalk that it rained. In deciding whether the
wet sidewalk is proof that it rained, a court will tell you to consider all the evidence in light of
reason, experience and common sense.

When a jury retires to deliberate, it is instructed that
there is no legal distinction between direct and circumstantial evidence so far as proof is
concerned. It is up to them to determine how much weight to give any particular piece of evidence,
whether it be direct or circumstantial.

More:
http://law.jrank.org/pages/5218/Circumstantial-Evidence.html

Books, movies, and television often perpetuate the belief that circumstantial evidence may not be used to convict a criminal of a crime. But this view is incorrect. In many cases, circumstantial evidence is the only evidence linking an accused to a crime; direct evidence may simply not exist. As a result, the jury may have only circumstantial evidence to consider in determining whether to convict or acquit a person charged with a crime. In fact, the U.S. Supreme Court has stated that “circumstantial evidence is intrinsically no different from testimonial [direct] evidence”(Holland v. United States, 348 U.S. 121, 75 S. Ct. 127, 99 L. Ed. 150 [1954]). Thus, the distinction between direct and circumstantial evidence has little practical effect in the presentation or admissibility of evidence in trials.

http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/circum-evidence.html

Circumstantial Evidence

Circumstantial evidence is any indirect evidence of a fact that helps to establish the guilt or innocence of a defendant through reasoning.

Circumstantial evidence is the result of combining seemingly unrelated facts that, when considered together, infer a conclusion that supports a litigantâ??s version of the facts. The inference provoked from circumstantial evidence must flow logically, reasonably, and naturally from the facts presented.

Criminal prosecutors often rely heavily on circumstantial evidence to prove their case. Civil cases are often based solely, or primarily, on circumstantial evidence, particularly in cases involving liability.

Some legal experts would even argue that circumstantial evidence could carry more weight in a case than direct evidence.

From the land of the stupid…

Great mothers wait a month to report their child missing.

Great mothers perform over 80 google searches on chloroform, and how to break the neck of a person.

Great mothers get tattoos of “life is beautiful” while their child is “missing.”

Great mothers lie to investigators time and time again, including making up fictitious people, where they work, and who babysits their child.

Great mothers go partying the night their child goes “missing,” including entering a body contest.

Great mothers put stickers on the mouth of their child, but only after they are duct taped.

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:

[/quote]

From Lawyers.com

Can a jury convict a defendant based only on circumstancial evidence?

Yes. The law recognizes two kinds of evidence, direct and circumstantial.

Direct evidence
is testimony by a witness about what he or she personally observed, heard or experienced.
Circumstantial evidence is indirect evidence. It allows the jury to infer, from other facts
presented and proven, that a particular fact or circumstance exists, even though there has been no
direct proof of it. The only limit on inferences drawn from proven facts is that they must be
logical and reasonable, and not just speculation.

Here’s an easy example. Suppose when you
wake up tomorrow morning, the sidewalk outside your house is wet. Did it rain? There’s no direct
evidence of that, since someone could have used a hose on the sidewalk. The law allows, but does
not require you to find from the fact of the wet sidewalk that it rained. In deciding whether the
wet sidewalk is proof that it rained, a court will tell you to consider all the evidence in light of
reason, experience and common sense.

When a jury retires to deliberate, it is instructed that
there is no legal distinction between direct and circumstantial evidence so far as proof is
concerned. It is up to them to determine how much weight to give any particular piece of evidence,
whether it be direct or circumstantial.

More:
http://law.jrank.org/pages/5218/Circumstantial-Evidence.html

Books, movies, and television often perpetuate the belief that circumstantial evidence may not be used to convict a criminal of a crime. But this view is incorrect. In many cases, circumstantial evidence is the only evidence linking an accused to a crime; direct evidence may simply not exist. As a result, the jury may have only circumstantial evidence to consider in determining whether to convict or acquit a person charged with a crime. In fact, the U.S. Supreme Court has stated that “circumstantial evidence is intrinsically no different from testimonial [direct] evidence”(Holland v. United States, 348 U.S. 121, 75 S. Ct. 127, 99 L. Ed. 150 [1954]). Thus, the distinction between direct and circumstantial evidence has little practical effect in the presentation or admissibility of evidence in trials.

http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/circum-evidence.html

Circumstantial Evidence

Circumstantial evidence is any indirect evidence of a fact that helps to establish the guilt or innocence of a defendant through reasoning.

Circumstantial evidence is the result of combining seemingly unrelated facts that, when considered together, infer a conclusion that supports a litigantâ??s version of the facts. The inference provoked from circumstantial evidence must flow logically, reasonably, and naturally from the facts presented.

Criminal prosecutors often rely heavily on circumstantial evidence to prove their case. Civil cases are often based solely, or primarily, on circumstantial evidence, particularly in cases involving liability.

Some legal experts would even argue that circumstantial evidence could carry more weight in a case than direct evidence.
[/quote]

From a practicing prosecuting attorney: “Theres no way the prosecution is getting a conviction on the evidence they have”

There is no doubt that she killed her daughter and should be punished, but the prosecution did not have: (1) cause of death; (2) DNA evidence of any kind; and (3) no motive. A jury needs to have a story to understand what happened. My advocacy professor, a practicing litigation attorney, said that the story is the most important part of a trial. In this case, unfortunately, without the evidence already mentioned, it is hard to paint a good story for the jury to believe.

Also, keep in mind that the standard is extremely, extremely high, beyond a reasonable doubt. Additionally, while circumstantial evidence may be solely used to convict someone, this was a capital murder case. As a juror, I’m sure they wanted more proof before they, for all intents and purposes, sentenced a woman to death.

Was this the correct moral outcome? Of course not. But our justice system is set up to keep innocent people out of jail, which sometimes means a guilty one goes free.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

In any other western country there would have been given a guilty verdict. Hell, in US military court she would have been guilty. At least now you know why no one wants to give terrorists trial in american civil courts.
[/quote]

I disagree, I think the verdict would have been the same if it had happened in Canada.

Relevant to this thread

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

I disagree, I think the verdict would have been the same if it had happened in Canada.[/quote]

Man the verdict would have been different if trial was in a different year/date/state. The system isn’t consistent. A different set of jurors may have given a different verdict, that’s the problem.

You don’t think C.A should get any formal punishment at all?

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
No proof = no case[/quote]

she knew her baby was missing for 31 days before she said a thing. if that doesn’t say guilty, then what does. the baby was thrown into a swamp. tape covering her mouth. If she didn’t do it, then who did? while her baby was missing she was out partying and getting a tattoo and going clubbing. ummmmmmmm, guilty!!!

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:

…oh yeah, I forgot we don’t need intent, motive, and opportunity. We just need to know that specific fact and that proves it all.[/quote]

learn the brother. motive is not a necessary requirement to prove. Opportunity, are you serious. she was her mom. she had plenty of opportunity.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

I disagree, I think the verdict would have been the same if it had happened in Canada.[/quote]

Man the verdict would have been different if trial was in a different year/date/state. The system isn’t consistent. A different set of jurors may have given a different verdict, that’s the problem.

You don’t think C.A should get any formal punishment at all? [/quote]

I couldn’t tell you, I’m unfamiliar with the different leanings of each state. Not arguing the system is inconsistent

She did receive formal punishment. 3 years in prison and maybe another year.