Anabolic Diet Log

I started the Anabolic Diet on Monday and wanted to start a log to track my journey, hopefully getting some feed back, and seeing my abs before the New Year.

A brief history on me;
I am currently 29 years old, 5,9/175lbs at 14% body fat. I’ve been training for 3 years. Everything I do encompases the T-Nation lifestyle; eating, sleeping & training, 24/7. My training partner for the past year has been a female figure athlete.

We take our training lifestyles very seriously. We both have made substantial progress this past year, always gearing our programs and diet towards obtaining a leaner physique. Recently I have hit a plateau which leads me to my current decision to start this diet.

Three years ago I was 135lbs, your classic ecto/noobie, and my beer drinking and pizzas caught up to me thus becoming a skinny-fat. I started lifting heavy weights, low reps, using only compound movements and eating 4,000 calories a day with no guidance or knowledge of a proper clean diet.

I thought I would gain muscle and my gut would go away by itself, but all I did was get bigger & fatter. All was not wasted though. In those two years I got strong, real strong, and eventually tipped the scales at 190lbs.

A 55lb gain in two years and I was starting to get stocky, but it was not what I was after and my gut was getting downright embarrassing. I couldn’t take my shirt off at the community pool without feeling like a complete slob.

This past year I met my training partner who is an aspiring figure athlete. We both started together in January with a goal of getting as lean as possible and have both made substantial progress.

I dropped from 190lbs, 25% BF to 170lbs, 14% BF, while employing the strategies I’ve learned from T-Nation for preserving the muscle I had gained in my first two years during my unintentional bulk. I have currently become frustrated and stuck, looking for an answer to rid me off this remaining body fat.

We started a Charles Staley EDT program two weeks ago and I started the Anabolic Diet this Monday, 11/17, hoping to find an answer. This is my first time posting. I was actually really nervous about doing this log, if that sounds crazy?

What would you like to know or see from me? I have pictures. I included my most recent front shot. Does anyone have any advice for me? Is there something I need to include, more information, lifting stats, my diet, my supplements?

I’m sure I need to post all of this but I didn’t want this first post to be too long. Your responses and support will mean the world to me. I take this lifestyle very seriously and I understand that even with 3 years under my belt I know nothing compared to the knowledge and expertise that is floating around on this superior website.

I welcome any criticism as well and am open to anything anyone has to offer. The T-Nation site has done so much for me, I felt it was only right to share my journey with others like me!

Sincerely,
Viets

Rounding out the first week, I felt the transition wasn’t bad at all. Calories are in a slight deficit, 2500. Maintenance is 2800 for me. I kept my carbs under 30 grams, protein was kept above 250 grams, fat was around 110. I never once felt a crash and training sessions were high energy.

I can’t wait until tomorrow morning to start my carb load. I am going to start my day with a cup of quick oats and a cup of raspberries with 2 scoops of whey. Then hit the gym and break up my week of EDT style training with some strength/PR stuff.

Decline bench for triples and try and set a new PR. Previous from last week was 245 x 3 on my normal diet of maintenance calories.

Here was my diet & supplement program for the Anabolic Diet starting on Monday 11/17/08 thru Friday 11/21/08. I will be making some minor adjustments for the coming week of 11/24 thru 11/28.

My training program was designed around twice a day EDT sessions on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. OFF days were Tuesdays & Thursdays & the diet stayed the same but obviously I dropped the pre/post drinks.

Hopefully someone with some experience on this diet will critique my plan and offer some advice. ANYBODY?

ALARM AT 4:00am
2 serv ON Whey Protein 240/48/6/2
1 tbsp Smart Balance PB 100/4/3/8
2 Fish Oil 20/0/0/2
1 CLA 10/0/0/1

PRE TRAINING DRINK/SUPPLEMENTS 4:30am
1 serv Vasocharge
1 serv Xtend
2g Beta Alanine
5g Creatine
1 Acetyl L-Carnitine
1 Digestive Enzyme
1 Gluc/Chon/Msm
1 Opti Men’s Multi

WARM-UP 4:30-4:45am
Foam Roll & Mobility Work

TRAINING SESSION 5-5:30am
1 Zone of EDT + Interval Sprints

POST TRAINING DRINK/SUPPLEMENTS 5:30am
1 serv Nectar Whey Isolate 90/23/0/0
1 serv Xtend
2g Beta Alanine
5g Creatine
1 CoQ10
1 Calcium
1 Tri Chromium w/Cinnamon
1 each Vitamins A,B,C,D,E

POST TRAINING MEAL 6:30am
3 Whole Omega Eggs 210/18/3/13
28g 2% Shredded Cheese 90/7/0/6
2 Fish Oil 20/0/0/2

MID-MORNING MEAL 9am
3 oz Chicken Breast 75/18/0/1
1 oz Almonds 160/5/3/14
2 Fish Oil 20/0/0/2

LUNCH 11:30am
4 oz 96% Grass Fed Beef 240/24/0/4
2 Dill Pickles 10/0/0/0
2 Fish Oil 20/0/0/2
1 CLA 10/0/0/1
2 tsp Fiber 40/0/0/0
1 Acetyl L-Carnitine
1 Digestive Enzyme
1 Gluc/Chon/Msm
1 Opti Men’s Multi

AFTERNOON MEAL 2:00pm
2 oz Tuna 60/13/0/1
1 tbsp Smart Balance Mayo 50/0/2/4
14g Sliced Pepperoni 70/3/0/6
4 tbsp Sliced Olives 40/0/0/4
2 Fish Oil 20/0/0/2

PRE TRAINING 3:30pm
1 serv Vasocharge
1 serv Xtend
2g Beta Alanine
5g Creatine

TRAINING SESSION 4-4:45pm
2 Zones of EDT

POST TRAINING DRINK/SUPPLEMENTS
1 serv Nectar Whey Isolate 90/23/0/0
1 serv Xtend
2g Beta Alanine
5g Creatine
1 CoQ10
1 Calcium
1 Tri Chromium w/Cinnamon
1 each Vitamins A,B,C,D,E

POST MEAL 6:00pm
2 Whole Omega Eggs 140/12/2/9
2 oz Grass Fed Beef 120/12/0/3
1 Low Carb Tortilla 100/7/5/2
28g 2% Shredded Cheese 90/7/0/6
2 Fish Oil 20/0/0/2

EVENING MEAL 8:30pm
1 serv ON Casein Protein 110/24/3/0.5
1 tbsp Smart Balance PB 100/4/3/8
2 Fish Oil 20/0/0/2
1 CLA 10/0/0/1

BEFORE BED 9:30pm
2 tsp Fiber 40/0/0/0
3 ZMA
1 Digestive Enzyme
1 Gluc/Chon/Msm
1 Opti Men’s Multi

Totals 2435 252 30 112

I had to make some changes to my meal plan and training schedule due to changes in my work schedule. Monday morning, 11/24, I will commence with the following until further notice;

Alarm at 4am
Sip on…
1 serv Nectar Whey Isolate
1 serv Xtend
2 Fish Oil
1 CLA
Acetyl L-Carnitine
Digestive Enzyme
Gluc/Chon/Msm
Opti Men’s Multi

Warm-Up 4:30am
Foam Roll & Mobility

Cardio 5am
Post Training 5:30am
Finish Nectar/Xtend
CoQ10
Calcium
Tri Chromium
Vitamin A,B,C,D,E

Post Meal 6:30am
3 Whole Omega Eggs
28g 2% Shredded Cheese
2 Fish Oil

Mid-Morning Meal 9am
3 oz Chicken Breast
1 oz Almonds
2 Fish Oil

Lunch 11:30am
4 oz Grass Fed Beef
2 Dill Pickles
2 Fish Oil
1 CLA
2 tsp Fiber
Acetyl L-Carnitine
Digestive Enzyme
Gluc/Chon/Msm
Opti Men’s Multi

Afternoon Meal 2pm
3 oz Tuna
2 tbsp Smart Balance Mayo
28 g Sliced Pepperoni
4 tbsp Sliced Olives
2 Fish Oil

Pre Training 3:30pm
1 serv Vasocharge
1 serv Xtend
2 g Beta Alanine
5 g Creatine

Training Session 4pm
2 Zones of EDT + Sprints
1 serv Xtend

Post Training 5pm
1 serv Xtend
2 g Beta Alanine
5 g Creatine
CoQ10
Calcium
Tri Chromium
Vitamin A,B,C,D,E

Post Meal 6pm
1 Whole Omega Egg
4 oz Lean Meat
Low Carb Tortilla
28 g 2% Shredded Cheese
2 Fish Oil

Evening Meal 8:30pm
ON Blend Whey/Casein
2 tbsp Smart Balance PB
2 Fish Oil
1 CLA

Before Bed
2 tsp Fiber
3 ZMA
Digestive Enzyme
Gluc/Chon/Msm
Opti Men’s Multi

Totals 2515 243 28 118.5

I supplement with 20 grams of fiber throughout the day to stay regular. I shoot for no less than 10 grams of fish oil per day, sometimes getting up to 20 grams. At least 2g at every meal. I eat every 2-1/2 hours. I drink an 8 oz glass of green tea at each whole food meal.

Saturday Morning is here! CARB LOAD, FINALLY…

After 5 days of a 300 calorie deficit and less than 30g of carbs/day, I was down from 175lbs to 172lbs. Time to load the carbs, hit the gym hard, then watch the Buckeyes rock Michigan right out of THE SHOE!

BREAKFAST 7AM
1 cup of Quick Oats 300/12/56/5
140g frozen raspberries 90/0/20/0
2 serv ON Whey 240/48/6/2

PRE TRAINING 7:30AM
1 serv Waxy Maize Starch 120/0/30/0
1 serv Vasocharge
1 serv Xtend
2 g Beta
5 g Creatine

TRAINING 8AM
Felt really strong after the oats started to kick in. I could tell I was filling out as the minutes went by. Set a new PR on Decline Bench Press. Old PR was 245x3, new PR set today was 255x2. I also set a new PR in barbell curls, 95x8 and I hit 3 sets of db curls using the 40’s for 3 sets of 8. Hit the traps for 2 sets of 10 reps at 315lbs. Sipped on 1 serv Xtend throughout the session.

POST TRAINING 9AM
2 serv Waxy Maize Starch 240/0/60/0
1 serv Xtend

POST MEAL 10AM
2 serv Nectar Whey Isolate 180/46/0/0
2 oz Grass Fed Beef 120/12/0/2
1 Multi Grain Tortilla 100/7/5/2
28 g 2% Shredded Cheese 90/7/0/6
1 Whole Omega Egg 70/6/1/4
1/4 cup White Rice 75/2/16/0

The rest of the day will most likely be pizza during the game and City BBQ later in the evening. My cousin from Youngstown is visiting and he’s small at 6’2"/352lbs. We are both on a quest for “Ultimate Beastiness” lol. Here is a photo of the belly I’m trying to get rid of.

You are actually supposed to go 12 days before carb loading if you are following the AD protocol.

Good luck with EDT on no carbs, too. I’ve done EDT 2 times now and I don’t think I could do it on no carbs, but more power to you.

I’ve been doing AD for a little over a month… but I am noticing some strength losses and I need to re figure my plan. Good luck.

[quote]gabex wrote:
You are actually supposed to go 12 days before carb loading if you are following the AD protocol.

Good luck with EDT on no carbs, too. I’ve done EDT 2 times now and I don’t think I could do it on no carbs, but more power to you.

I’ve been doing AD for a little over a month… but I am noticing some strength losses and I need to re figure my plan. Good luck.[/quote]

Thank you Gabex, I was unaware of the 12 day protocal. Since I already ruined my first 5 days by loading this morning, I think I’ll start over tommorrow and enjoy myself today. I liked the strength increase I saw this morning after just a cup of oats, berries & waxy maize. EDT is a biatch. Good Luck to you as well.

What a Saturday for the Buckeyes! Dominating Michigan is always fun, even when the Wolverines are having a dismal year.

Ordered Flyers Pizza and snacked on that thru most of the game along with several sugar free Red Bull’s. I finished out my day just like I had thought, with a trip to City BBQ. Pulled pork, baked beans, hand cut fries, sweet tea. OUTSTANDING.

Before my cousing leaves we are going to Waffle House and then I think that will be my last bit of carbs before I start the cycle again. This time I’m going to do what Gabex said above and follow a 12 day protocal. I didn’t know this was the correct way to follow the AD. I only read a few articles from T-Nation on the diet and they never mentioned a 12 day fast. Oh Well, at least I know after a 5 day fast that it really works. My strength was unmatched yesterday after a 5 day fast and then carb loading and hitting the gym.

After the I watch the Cleveland Browns game I’ll begin my food prep for the coming week. Actually, I may not do much b/c this week is going to be kind of messed up with Thanksgiving. I’m taking a 1/2 day Wednesday and heading to Youngstown to see my family so I’ll miss Wed night’s lift and my partner can’t lift on Fri night. CRAP!

Check back in Monday…

My totals for Saturday were…
3690 191 374 143

Because of the Thanksgiving holiday week, my training schedule is going to take a hit. I’m only going to be able to fit in one zone of EDT on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday mornings. I’m still going to follow the AD all the way thru the holiday (I’m not much for the “extras” at Thanksgiving) so it should be easy for me to just eat Turkey, Ham & pickled eggs until I’m blue in the face.

Our normal training schedule will re-conviene on Monday, 12/1, with HIT Interval Cardio in the mornings on training days, EDT on M,W,F and tuesday/thursday off. Saturday my partner spins so I use it as a free day to work on arms, hamstrings, calves & traps. I feel these areas are neglected in the EDT format we are using so I hit them on Saturday.

I changed my avatar to my most recent back shot. 11/24…

I was able to get one zone completed (15 minutes) on Monday in the morning plus some cardio and we did 2 zones today, Wednesday, that really kicked our ass. Incline DB Press supersetted with leg presses for 15 minutes straight (I used 50lb DB’s and 270lbs on the press) and then flat bb bench supersetted with crunches for 15 minutes straight (I used 135lbs on the bench). Damn, I am beat.

Showered, ate, now waiting for LeBron and the Cavs to come on. Will probably fall asleep by half time. I have to wake at 5am to pick Mom up by 6am and head to Youngstown for Thanksgiving. I’ve been under 30 grams of carbs M,T,W so I’m planning on keeping it going and only eating turkey, ham & pickled eggs during the holiday feast.

Hardly a real thanksgiving but I am ratcheting down on my discipline and sucking it up! My partner thinks I’m crazy but I told her if you use certain “events” as excuses you’d never get started on anything or see it thru. There’s always a birthday or a holiday or a work gathering or whatever. F those minor details! I’m ready to take this bitch to the next level and get friggin’ ripped. Get back Friday morning and relax (partner is doing the black friday shopping) and we’re going to hit 2 more zones of EDT on Saturday morning. Then back to a normal week the following Monday. I tweaked my diet a tad, will post following this post. I’m trying to attach an image of my gut but it keeps failing.

I will try again so you can see what I’m up against. Of course I’m not sucking in, this picture was taken after a post workout protein shake and I’m feeling a big bloated, but it’s in my natural relaxed state. I don’t want to sugar coat anything.

Here’s the side triceps shot right after the gut picture, taken within the same minute post workout on the same day. I’m sucking in a little bit here, but not too-too much. It’s a natural suck in, like when you’re hitting a side chest pose, it just kinda happens naturally.

4:00AM (GOING TO TRY FASTED CARDIO THIS WEEK)
2 tsp Fiber / Xtend BCAA
(2) Super Omega Fish Oil
(1) CLA
Acetyl L-Carnitine
Digestive Enzyme
Gluc/Chon/Msm

4:30-4:50AM
Foam Roll & Mobility

5:10-5:30AM
Interval Sprints, 20 minutes

5:30AM
1 serv Nectar Whey Isolate / Xtend BCAA
CoQ10
Calcium
Tri Chromium
Vitamin A,B,C,D,E
Tribulus
Opti Men’s Multi

FOLLOWING “NUTRIENT TIMING” AND THE 3 HOUR WINDOW RULE
6:30AM 1ST POST MEAL
(2) Whole Omega Eggs
28 g Shredded Cheese 2%
(2) Super Omega Fish Oil

7:30AM 2ND POST MEAL
1 serv ON Casein
1 tbsp SBPB
(2) Super Omega Fish Oil

8:30AM 3RD POST MEAL
3 oz Chicken Breast
1/2 oz Almonds
(2) Super Omega Fish Oil

11:30AM LUNCH
4 oz Lean Meat
2 Dill Pickles
(2) Super Omega Fish Oil
(1) CLA
2 tsp Fiber / Xtend BCAA
Acetyl L-Carnitine
Digestive Enzyme
Gluc/Chon/Msm

2:30PM AFTERNOON
3 oz Tuna
2 tbsp Smart Balance Mayo
28 g Sliced Pepperoni
4 tbsp Sliced Olives
(2) Super Omega Fish Oil

3:30PM PRE TRAINING DRINK
1 serv Vasocharge
1 serv Xtend BCAA
2 g Beta Alanine
5 g Creatine

4:00PM TRAIN
Escalated Density Training
2 Zones, 35 minutes

4:45PM POST TRAINING DRINK
1 serv Xtend BCAA
2 g Beta Alanine
5 g Creatine
CoQ10
Calcium
Tri Chromium
Vitamin A,B,C,D,E
Tribulus
Opti Men’s Multi

5:45PM POST TRAINING MEAL
(1) Whole Omega Egg
2 oz 99% Turkey
Low Carb Tortilla
28 g Shredded Cheese 2%
(2) Super Omega Fish Oil

8:45PM EVENING SHAKE
1 serv ON Casein
1 tbsp SBPB
(2) Super Omega Fish Oil

BEFORE BED
2 tsp Fiber / Xtend BCAA
(2) Super Omega Fish Oil
(1) CLA
Zinc/Magnesium
Digestive Enzyme
Gluc/Chon/Msm

TOTALS: 2235 CALS / 224.5 PRO / 25.5 CARBS / 104.5 FATS

How I ate on Thanksgiving;

In the car on the way to Youngstown, a bag of beef jerky, 2 small bags of peanuts, one whey/casein shake in water. For our Thanksgiving feast that wasn’t so festive I had turkey & 3 pickled eggs.

Finished off the night with a piece of cheesecake and 4 sugar free red bulls. I think I probably went upwards in the range of 50 grams of carbs, but considering the holiday, I think I did pretty good.

The day after;

I had a whey/casein shake in 2% milk with a slice of pumpkin pie for breakfast! Oh my, there went my 30 grams right there! My next meal wasn’t until 2:30pm after the long drive home and striking out twice on two steakhouses that were closed.

My mom and I ended up at Applebees and I had boneless wings. Not the healthiest, low carb-est meal I could have chosen, but it’s done and over with. I took a long nap, woke at 5pm, and had my low carb tortilla filled with lean beef, cheese and an omega egg.

Ok, now we are back on track and ready to watch the Cavaliers. Let’s chalk up this bad day as “black friday” and pick up the pieces tomorrow with a quality training session and some good sound nutrition.

My training partner’s husband has season tickets to Ohio State Men’s Basketball and she doesn’t want to go to tomorrow’s game against Samford (she was shopping all day on zero sleep) so I’m going in her place.

She normally spins on Saturday mornings and her husband and I will run thru an arm workout to exhaustion, a nice break from EDT. He golfed today and it sounds as if I’ll be hitting the gym by myself tomorrow.

His vaginitis is flaring up. Fine by me. I’ll pull out the IPOD, put the skull cap on, go into “meathead mode” and rock out.

The training partner’s hubby showed up and we hit the decline bench. New PR, 255lbs x 2. Spent the rest of the session doing bent rows and db curls.

We had Buckeye BB tickets, what a blow out.

So far I’ve had shakes and snacks, shakes and snacks. Only carbs have come from natural pb, almonds & beef jerky. Hitting the mexican joint tonight for a monterey steak and cheese tortilla. That will top me out at 30grams.

So far today I’ve had a casein shake with smart balance peanut butter for breakfast, one for a snack and a chicken breast covered in cheese for lunch. Bob Evans open faced roast beef with veggies sounds like a winner for dinner. probably have another shake for a snack inbetween now and dinner. I have a bag of jack link’s peppered beef steak nuggets sitting on the counter waiting for me to devour as well. Supplements and shakes are done for the upcoming week and I have yet to hit the grocery so I really can’t prep any food until I do that. Being lazy, doing laundry, watching football. That’s the game plan today. I’m going to try and load the post workout progress picture I took from Saturday. For some reason I’ve been having trouble getting the image to attach.

Monday, back on schedule. Did the morning cardio, fasted, and that was a mistake. Felt like ass. I’m going to sip on a Nectar Whey Isolate shake from now on and continue throughout until cardio is done. My diet was on point all day and EDT in the evening kicked ass.

We did smith machine shoulder presses with bodyweight lunges and lateral raises with sprints. Great session. I read in the article “Eat Like A Man” that you had to count the fiber in your metamucil so I’m reworking my meal plan. It appears I’ve been getting in way over 30 grams of carbs if this is the case. More like 50. At least my body has adjusted to the low carb diet. Now I’ll be going even lower. I will post the new diet shortly.

OK, got some clarification from some knowledgable guys on the “My experience on the anabolic diet” forum. When you subtract the fiber content from the carb count it cancels each other out. That’s what I originally thought. So technically, there is no carbs in my sugar free metamucil b/c there is 5g of carbs and 5g of fiber. NICE! So I’ll have to tweak my diet some more and I’ll try and post it tomorrow with the changes.

4AM AWAKE
(1) serv Syntrax Nectar Whey Isolate 90/23/0/0
(2) NOW Super Omega 20/0/0/2
(1) EAS CLA w/Tonalin 10/0/0/1
(1) NOW Acetyl L-Carnitine, 500g
(1) NOW Digestive Enzyme
(1) NOW Gluc/Chon/Msm

4:30-4:50AM WARM UP
Foam Roll & Lower Body Mobility

5:05-5:30AM CARDIO
Interval Sprints, 20 minutes
1 serv Scivation Xtend