Alternative to 'Getting Big'

I tried the “getting big” thing and I honestly have to say I didn’t enjoy it. The worse part was having to consume so much food. I just don’t want to do that! I think being a weightlifter is a lifestyle and I just realized it wasn’t for me. I totally respect people who do follow that path and my hats off to them, because I understand it can be a challenge.

Having said all that, I still want to be fit. What program would be good for someone in my shoes? I was thinking of something like P90X…although, maybe something like that that’s more gym oriented, since I’d prefer to workout there and not in my house.

Anyway, I hope you don’t hate on me for not wanting to be big. I know you want this place to attract people who are interested in that. The only reason I’m posting here is because I respect the knowledge of the members here and thought some of you could point me in the right direction.

Are you afraid of waking up one morning with 50 more lbs of muscle?

I’m a practicing Buddhist and part of the teachings includes being modest in one’s eating. If you practice strictly you can only consume food before noon. I believe this is usually what monks do, but even some lay followers practice this to some degree. I don’t follow that strictly…I eat like most people.

So, eating a load of food to gain mass wouldn’t be in line with the teachings and I take them seriously. I even gave up alcohol, because that goes against the precepts. Anyway, didn’t want to get into that discussion, but since you asked…

I’m just wondering where that leaves me in terms of fitness goals. Would something like P90X be more in line with my lifestyle choices?

You can still lift weights, you just can’t get Jim Wender big. Not a big deal. Maybe lift following an early breakfast, so you can get a post workout meal in at lunch? I mean, a basic weight routine would still be great for fitness. I’m not lifting to be a world class powerlifter or bodybuilder either; it’s like saying because you don’t care enough to run a marathon you won’t do any cardio. It doesn’t need to be all or nothing.

[quote]paulwhite959 wrote:
You can still lift weights (…)
I mean, a basic weight routine would still be great for fitness[/quote]

this ^

Plus cardio/HIIT/crossfit/prowler/bodyweight exersises

Mat’

In powerlifting, men’s weight classes go down to 114. There are strong powerful committed lifters of all sizes. You do not have to gain a ton of weight to get stronger.

As others have said, you can still lift if you enjoy lifting. If lifting itself is not really your thing, what about running, calisthenics and/or possibly some sort of martial art? Old school boxing style training, especially if you incorporate more outdoor work, can be challenging and rewarding.

This could include push ups, pull ups, core stuff, dips, med ball work, jump rope, running/sprinting etc. as well as sparring and bag/pad work (of course). If you’re not into the “hitting stuff” aspect the other elements would keep you as “fit” as most people would care to be, provided you worked them diligently and had your diet in check.

Again, it all depends on if it’s lifting itself you don’t like or if it’s really just the eating.
Some weightlifting, however will be of benefit to your overall health. It’s just a question of how much relative to your goals. Being “fit” is not a very specific goal.

[quote]Digity wrote:
I’m a practicing Buddhist and part of the teachings includes being modest in one’s eating.[/quote]
Steven Seagal is Buddhist. Guess he missed that memo. :wink:

Just busting your chops, man. I do appreciate and respect that you’re sticking to your guns and trying to incorporate those beliefs into a fitness lifestyle. Not to sidetrack the thread, but it’s crazy how many times a thread will come up, “I was raised a vegetarian and have been one for 10+ years, but I wanna get big now, so what animal do I eat first?”

P90X is pretty high intensity and seems to be mostly for fat burning, so if you went that route without enough quality food, I’d expect you to drop weight - muscle and fat. Obviously not a good way to go.

“Being fit” is super-vague, so like with any training goals, you’d need to narrow things down at least a bit more specifically to figure out an appropriate plan/program.

In the most general sense, I’d do something moderate intensity and moderate frequency so that the demands of exercise don’t necessarily require an “excess” of calories (“excess” being context-specific to your situation.) Two days of basic weight training and two days of easy to moderate cardio would be what I’d recommend to someone looking to just “be fit” without specifically addressing muscle growth, improving performance/strength, or dropping bodyfat.

P90X is the worst option for you.
I meet the Dalai Lama and i really understand you.
You might do a weekly average of 90 minutes meditation/yoga/tai-chi and 90 minutes training.
P90X is for coffee junkies, you want calm.
You might alternate train, other 30 min. each day…
There is no need to get big, it is marketing bullshit to a point.
They want to sell books/magazines. You can read from librairy. 22 years ago i semi-retired at 33 and i am glad i started training 9 months ago.
It is up to you what you choose to do.
I train about 55 min. X 6 days weekly, it is my choice to stay young and fit. Not to get big nor strong.

yawn

[quote]BHappy wrote:
You might do a weekly average of 90 minutes meditation/yoga/tai-chi and 90 minutes training.
They want to sell books/magazines. You can read from librairy. 22 years ago i semi-retired at 33 and i am glad i started training 9 months ago.
I train about 55 min. X 6 days weekly, it is my choice to stay young and fit. Not to get big nor strong.[/quote]

… What?..

If you want to stay smaller and be ‘fit’ consider something like crossfit. It has its place and your goals kind of fit into that.

Otherwise, a basic weightlifting and cardio program without a ton of food should do you just fine. Don’t over-think it too much.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
I train about 55 min. X 6 days weekly, it is my choice to stay young and fit. Not to get big nor strong.[/quote]

Did you just vomit your brain?

just do some sports tennis, squash swimming etc

As some one who did crossfit for 3+ years, I would advise against it for a number of reasons, but as mentioned above I don’t see how the intensity it and p90x require would mesh with the teachings of Buddha (He would probably say they’ve tightened their string too tightly).

However, Olympic lifting might be more your style, there’s a great blog by an Oly lifter who has practiced Zen for over a decade who likens Oly lifting to martial arts (don’t know if I can mention the name of his blog, just google “zen and weight lifting”).