Leg Press 2x20
Core 5 exercises

Day3
Handstand Pushups 5x5
Chin ups 2xmax Supersetted with
Push ups 2xmax
Arms: 3 exercises per muscle group 3x8-12

Day4
Core + Conditioning (prowler/skipping/swimming)

Day5
Box Jumps 8x3
Power Snatch 5x3
Handstand pushups 5x5
Pull Ups 3xmax

Is this a good split? Goals are: increase in muscle mass, maintain/gain strength, hence the 8x3 and maintain and increase explosiveness and athletic ability, that’s why I have the box jumps and snatches in there. I think it is a nice all-round split, but I’d like to hear your views.

JJ

The 8x3 + 8x8 isn’t a bad idea. Doug Hepburn (olympic medal in weightlifting, first man to bench 500lbs) did something similar for almost all his career. He did 8x3, 5x5, 1x10.

And my layer system isn’t that different since I basically ramp up to a 2-3RM then do 3-5 sets of clusters for 5-6 reps, then 1-2 sets of hypertrophy work (normally extended sets).

But the difference is that both Hepburn and I used the same exercise for all the sets. I personally find this a lot more effective, although it seems counterintuitive.

How strong are you? You seem to want to train concurrently (equally train several different strength qualities). Look at this Westside for Skinny Bastards, Part III - Official Website of Joe DeFranco & DeFranco’s Gym! and read everything Joe Defranco has written on here and soak in the information.

As for your program, it seems relatively well rounded.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

I’m not strong at the moment, coming back from injury, but I do not want to do a pure strength phase, as I seem to always loose some athletic ability. I am trying to build strength slowly, with an emphasis on hypertrophy and some explosive bits.

The 8x3 will ultimately end up 6x3 with 2x1 towards the end of this cycle. With progressive overload.

I’ve done De Franco’s WSB before. Really enjoyed it, I just really wanted to incorporate the 8x8 for some good gains.

Thanks Chris and DSSG.

Lacking crucial information. For example, 8x8 at what intensity? You can make 8x8 back squat one of the most vicious training session ever or an easy stroll in the park.

it looks fun but silly in my honest opinion…

and generally poorly-conceived as your first goal is gaining lean mass.

what is your definition of “athletic ability”?

I think you should give it a shot and see how you respond to it.

In my opinion it looks like it could go very well :slight_smile:

I like mixing low reps and high reps. One of my faves is to work up to a heavy 5, then drop the weight right down and do sets of 12 - 15.

Love it with squats in particular

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
The 8x3 + 8x8 isn’t a bad idea. Doug Hepburn (olympic medal in weightlifting, first man to bench 500lbs) did something similar for almost all his career. He did 8x3, 5x5, 1x10.
[/quote]

Hi CT, I was wondering where you saw this from? To my knowledge Hepburn recommends cycle of 10x1 and then 8x3 when stalling, and 5x5 if size was to be emphasized. I’m just curious as to if there’s a source that says otherwise.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

In my opinion it looks like it could go very well :)[/quote]

Hijack:

Paulie new avatar looks good. You still dropping weight?

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

In my opinion it looks like it could go very well :)[/quote]

Hijack:

Paulie new avatar looks good. You still dropping weight?[/quote]

ha thanks man.

Yes, down to 203 right now :slight_smile:

Hopefully the 30th of April will be my last day cutting and I can start reverse dieting.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
I like mixing low reps and high reps. One of my faves is to work up to a heavy 5, then drop the weight right down and do sets of 12 - 15.

Love it with squats in particular[/quote]

I am curious about how you do it.
Do you do all reps for exercise A, than exercise B etc… ?
I kind of do my heavy the first 20 min or so fallowed by higher reps(9-15) when my energy is lower.