600lb Deadlift Possible for Everyone?

Thanks for the edit, I would also take the pill.

For the record I very much enjoy training, but it would be naive to say that is is not, at least in part, because I enjoy the progress and results.

And to say that you would feel empty if you were suddenly at your strength / physique goals suggests a worrying emptiness in the rest of your life. Every training session is a trade off against other pleasures, pursuits and time spent with friends, families and loved ones.

If training provided no benefit whatsoever, would I still go to the gym for 2 hours? Nope.

It would be fair to say that if I suddenly had all the results I wouldn’t enjoy training anymore, but thats the point, I wouldn’t be doing it anymore.

5 Likes

For me, there is an end goal and there isnt. The goal is to be “Massive and strong” but what really is considered being strong? Deadlift 500 or,600,700,800,900,1000?

As a youtuber once said “The day you started lifting is the day you are forverer small”
This is quite true for me. I dont try setting limitations on what i will and wont do. I dont have good genetics but fuck it i may as well try my hardest. And i dont know when i will consider myself big or strong. I do know i will keep trying to better myself.

I do know though that ever since i was little i wanted to be big and strong, and i love “the grind” so below is where i tend to disagree.

1 Like

That’s because you are still small :wink:

1 Like

loll

I probably should have phrased that differently- but yeah you choose to train instead of not training. So youd rather train so you can get the benefits is what i was saying?

Thats pretty impressive man! So you achieved all your goals alot easier and didnt regret anything? Thats kind of different to an instant pill though. You still had to attend school and work to graduate.

Perhaps when im over 30 i’ll wish for a magic pill :wink:

1 Like

A lot of it has to do with the number of responsibilities you will have in the future. Time management is a real issue when you’re older and, as @dchris said, efficient use of that time becomes important.

3 Likes

I’m still small, too, duke.

The part that’s causing the disagreement here is that people are in different phases of life.

When I was in my 20s I needed the gym and the grind had a place in my life. Now that I’m 33, married with two kids, and work full time I could use the time for other things. Hell, I might just pursue something else.

I could use some training in a combat sport. I could improve my conditioning. I’d like to play more golf, softball, and basketball. I’d like to hunt again. But since I would suck at all of these things without my gym results then I put my training first.

I could be average and do these things but the average American is obese. I don’t want that. I want to be better than the average 21 year old (all testosterone and the bad eating hasn’t caught up to them yet).

So as you age you’ll probably change your mind. My life is only going to get busier as my kids get older and start playing sports, have school programs, etc.

You’re not wrong; you’re just in a different place right now.

2 Likes

It’s a bad look to say this and come right back. However, while we’re here, we can touch on a few things.

Saying that something is your opinion does not prevent that statement from being attacked. In reality, an opinion is one of those few statements that CAN be attacked. When a statement is a fact, it cannot be attacked (at least, not logically) due to the nature of it BEING a fact. It is simply a matter of fact. However, when a statement is an opinion, it opens itself TO attack because an opinion is merely a thought that is the result of experience and (in some cases) research, thus it has potential to be poorly formed or based off false pretenses.

With THAT having been said, in expressing an opinion, words matter significantly. In the example of your “pride” opinion, you used “you” instead of “I” when expressing how people would feel. In doing so, you remove autonomy from others, dictating how they would feel rather than expressing how you PERSONALLY would feel. This tends to stem from a limited worldview, wherein we presuppose that all agents experience reality in the same manner that we do, thus we can extrapolate our own feelings about an issue toward how others would feel. However, the more you read and learn and experience the world, the more you realize that this isn’t the case and that, in many instances, you can only speak to how you personally would feel on the matter.

On the topic of your actual opinion, I simply don’t share it. Pride is of little concern to me. I don’t want results because I want the pride of having achieved the results; I simply want the results. There is a diseased part of my brain that compels me to want to be that way, and I do things to satiate my ID. I also, in turn, disagree with the money example. I work because it provides me income which I can use to take care of myself and my family. If I woke up tomorrow and found a billion dollars in my bank account, I would experience zero woe over having not earned it, but instead bliss that I no longer needed to work to obtain income.

Keep in mind that you extrapolated our thoughts on earnings and income as someone who has very little experience in the workforce and no career. You can imagine how such a presupposition would be poorly received.

13 Likes

I just want to add that the workplace isn’t fair. You may earn something but still not get it. I would gladly take some lottery winnings and retire.

Come to think if it, I might prefer to have more money than I can spend. That would allow me to grind, play sports, and be with my family. I guess I don’t need a pill–just a ton of money.

3 Likes

True story. If someone would just give me $10M that’d be enough to live off of. I’d have plenty of time to “enjoy” the grind, lol

*I’ll take $5M. I can stretch that until I die

Ha. This is where I jump off the agreement train. My wife and I talk about this all the time. I love working. She’d gladly not work and travel, shop, dine at nice restaurants.

Me, I love the challenge of work.

Conversely, If you removed the competition from work, I’d take my money and go sit in a beach.

1 Like

Disagreeing with opinions is fine. Talking down to people by saying “cool we’ve reached the part of a thread where a 15 year old is going to tell grown adult men how they should feel about their own lives.”

Thats why i responded with " il just leave this thread now." Im up for discussion and everything else in this thread is fine but tbh that was uncalled for imo. I wasnt trying to tell anyone how they should feel, i was giving examples.

Ya, it’s funny. My wife is like you. She’d work part-time if we won the Mega Millions
 Not this guy.

I would literally wake up, eat, relax, exercise, relax, eat, relax, and then sleep.

Lol, that’s not completely true. I would love to pour a lot more time into my side business and digital artwork (something I desperately need time for).

I feel like alot of my posts get misinterpreted. This example wasnt comparing getting instant money and being super rich but rather a promotion you didnt earn.

Id much rather earn a promotion and work hard for it then be given it for no reason. If you work hard you deserve to be rewarded. If i wasnt working hard id rather a kick up the bum.

There’s no competition in my job–just dealing with f***ing idiots and their problems
mostly trying to solve their problems for them.

@ActivitiesGuy is one of the nicest even tempered posters on the site. He was hardly talking down to you and if you really feel he was then the interwebz might not be for you.

The truth of the matter is that you have a very limited set of experiences to base an opinion on. As all teenagers do. Don’t take it personally, I would not take the opinion of any 15-year-old seriously.

7 Likes

I honestly couldn’t do what you do. My brother in law was a cop for ~8-9 years; I don’t know how he put up with seeing someone he arrested for domestic abuse, disorderly conduct, DUI etc in the church Sunday morning after arresting the night before. He somewhat recently (2 years ago) left to join a startup that creates field software for the police force.

2 Likes

@duketheslaya One of the first really good professors I had in college, in one of the first really hard classes I took looked me right in the eyes after grading a paper (in which I used the word “I” a considerable amount) told me that, “You don’t get to have an opinion until you’ve earned it, you’ll know you’ve earned it when you’re asked for it.” Probably the best sound bite of advice I’ve ever received, I still regularly use the “Yes, Abandon Post.” on this site very, very frequently, ha.

7 Likes

So true.

Likewise, though typically it’s when I’m trying to be funny and then I remember I’m not very good at that.

1 Like