600lb Deadlift Possible for Everyone?

Duke, as someone who was in college at your age, if you want to be taken seriously then you need to learn how to communicate effectively. You communicate like a child and, even if you had a good point, it’s lost. Making general statements using ‘you’, ‘i’, etc. or blanket statements is not a good way to be taken seriously.

2 Likes

I beg to differ

Doesn’t count. Roasting you is as easy as setting petrol alight :wink:

3 Likes

That one made me laugh for real–not just the casual LOL

1 Like

Please clarify, is that an insult or compliment? Where I come from, it’s a compliment.

1 Like

Like i said a few mins ago i feel alot of my posts get misinterpreted ( especially annoying when im trying to mean something completely different then people think im saying). I understand why now. @dchris thankyou very much man!

I think we all start for the same reasons but it turns out that we don’t get to do what we thought.

Catch bad guys. What’s that? If they flew in a car we let them go because it’s dangerous. Guess what. They’ve figured it out so now everyone runs. And we do nothing because society has no spine. Somehow if an asshole crashes and kills someone while we’re chasing them then it’s our fault. But if we don’t catch them then everything after that is our fault. Basically it’s our fault. Just fill in the blank for the situation.

I’m hoping to find a spot where I can be useful and enjoy myself. If not, then I’ll retire early and do something else.

You guys do have it shitty… Are you state or local? I could see being a Sheriff where I’m at, but MD state police, fuuuuuuuuck that.

Local. I used to be state and that job was better but the schedule sucked.

8 hr shifts.
Tues-Mon: start at 0700
Tues-Thurs: off
Fri-Fri: start at 1600, 1700, 1800, or 1900 on Fri & Sat, then 1500 or 1600 the rest of the week.
Sat-Mon: off

Then repeat (more or less). And it goes on forever. Seniority didn’t change anything.

1 Like

This may not be what you were trying to do, but it is what you ended up doing. Much as you took offense to the wording that @ActivitiesGuy employed, you can see how your own wording can have a similar effect.

Online, where there is no presence of body language and nuance and tone get lost, word choice becomes incredibly critical.

4 Likes

Notice how in the first sentence you say “you” but here you say “I”? That is a stark difference. I will not refute how you would feel in a theoretical career, but in my current one I can say that I would not be upset over being given more money for no reason.

5 Likes

This entire post was gold, and was a longer, more eloquent statement of the same sentiment that motivated my initial "Cool, we’ve reached the part of the thread where a 15 year old is going to tell grown adult men how to feel about their own lives.

I’m genuinely interested to know how many people would feel this way, and how this would break down across various groups, but I can guarantee that I would feel the same. Give me a billion dollars, I’m out of the workforce that same day.

Damn now I want to shoot myself with my 450 pull after 4 years of training since there are guys here with “weak genes” pulling 600 after 2 years.

But again, I still have peach fuzz at 27 so I must have the weakest of genes

Coming back to the original topic of the thread: It will be easier for some people than it is for others. There are people for whom it would be unwise to pursue the goal, or for whom other considerations are a higher priority than their 1RM deadlift. The thread never was intended to suggest that obtaining a 600 deadlift is easy or that everyone should do it; merely to answer the question of whether it is possible. Whether doing all of the things needed to achieve the goal are worth it is a personal decision, and for many people the answer is quite correctly “no, that would be stupid” (including people that make millions of dollars off their bodies, like professional athletes and models and actors).

Of course, of course. Besides, I still have plenty of years to get there!

I had a similar experience when writing my Master’s thesis. In an early draft, I mentioned a conclusion drawn in an article I was citing, and followed it with “This author agrees with that statement.” (I still cringe thinking that I actually wrote something so stupid.) My professor–a true wordsmith–chided me with this comment in the margin: “Absent impressive supporting evidence, the author’s opinion is not a matter of overwhelming interest.”

Needless to say, the offending sentence was struck from the next draft.

4 Likes

To chime in as another 27 year old. I would absolutely take the pill to have my training end goals achieved. I actually enjoy the training itself to a degree, but absolutely do so for the end goal. I tend to be attracted to physically demanding hobbies (climbing, hiking, kayaking, etc.) but those all have an element of fun or adventure, training lacks that. I don’t really mind the discomfort, but if I didn’t need to experience it and still have the end goal, why not?

Same goes for work. If I woke up filthy rich, I wouldn’t have an issue spending my days going on adventures, lifting weights, and reading books. I work so I can afford to do those things and be comfortable when I’m not. Sometimes I’d like to be the type that gets really connected with my work since I spend plenty of my time doing it, but it’s just never been the case.

1 Like

My favorite part of this thread has become the young guys telling us how they love the grind, and that’s the important part. The ‘process’.

You don’t know what the grind is. You don’t know what it’s like to work at this for 15+ fucking years to finally start achieving better-than-average results. The thousands of hours in the gym that have work my joints down, torn muscles, hindered my ability to work, kept me in bed when I should have been getting things done. The time it’s taken away from my family. The hostility I’ve dealt with consistently from people close to me. You think I love that grind? You think I even like it?

I like to win, period. I do this because I want that, and if someone told me I could get my lost time back, and I get to reach my goals, and all I gotta do is swallow a pill? give me that pill. You, Duke, will not understand this concept at your age, and I encourage you not to play this game anymore. You can think what you want about your future. If that keeps you in the gym, cool. Although, based on your log, it’s clear you haven’t even started the grind. I don’t know that you will. I don’t know that you’ll make the sacrifices, or if you actually have big dreams. You might quit by the end of the year because the sacrifices are too much for you. No real way for anyone to know at this point. Most people do. Even people who fall in love with the iron game tend to fall out of love within 5 years, max. Nobody sticks with this. Even on a competitive level, it doesn’t happen.

The desire to win is what drives me, and nothing else at this point. Fuck the grind, I hate it.

That’s EXACTLY why those guys would take the pill. It sucks balls to do what they’re doing now. They would trade the grind in too.

this is the most accurate thing you said. It’s spot on. I do it to achieve goals. Not to ‘enjoy the shitty process’.

7 Likes

This made me think, as usual.

I’m not sure I’d take the pill, but I sure as hell would take the money because I absolutely share your view of work.

The pill, now, is a different matter for me. Yes, I like the results of training. The process is quite physically unpleasant and also can be dangerous, not to mention frustrating. In that respect, the pill makes perfect sense. For me, though, the process of training is the only point in my life when my brain is focused, and I don’t have a constant dialogue with myself. At all other times I’m never quite there in the moment, because I feel like I’m watching it from a short distance away. Except training. Then I’m there. If I didn’t have to train to get the results I want, I wouldn’t get that reprieve and it would impact my quality of life. If I already had the results, I would find it hard to make myself endure the unpleasantness of training, even knowing how much good it does my mental state.

So, no pill for me.

3 Likes

Couldn’t you still train if you took the pill, and chase new goals? Chase unheard-of feats of strength? That sounds pretty awesome to me. I didn’t see anything in the conditions of the pill that said you couldn’t still spend 4 hours in the gym every day if you took it. I also didn’t see where it said you couldn’t further your strength past where the pill took you. Couldn’t there always be a new milestone? Like, let’s say the pill takes you to a 1120 deadlift, making you the strongest deadlifter in the world by a slim margin. Couldn’t you shift your goals, if you currently have the mentality of ‘I want to keep bettering myself, for myself’? My goals have moved substantially over the years. I can imagine saying to myself, at an 1120 deadlift, ‘let’s just see if 1200 is possible’ lol.

Does that change your thoughts at all?