405 Deadlift at 164?

Is a 405 deadlift good for someone who weighs 164 pounds?

Richard Hawthorne recently pulled 622 at 129lbs. Maybe go from there.

Sure it’s good but you could always be better.

How long hav eyou been lifting?

I compete at the 165 class, but normally walk and weigh-in around 155-160. My best raw dead has been 480lbs, although down at 450ish right now.

I consider myself “average.” If you’re a beginner, though, 405 is great! And even if not, it’s a good pull. Like others have said, always room to move up.

What do you intend to do with this info?

[quote]animus wrote:
How long hav eyou been lifting?

I compete at the 165 class, but normally walk and weigh-in around 155-160. My best raw dead has been 480lbs, although down at 450ish right now.

I consider myself “average.” If you’re a beginner, though, 405 is great! And even if not, it’s a good pull. Like others have said, always room to move up.[/quote]
I have been lifting for about one year now.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
What do you intend to do with this info?[/quote]
I was just curious.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Sure it’s good but you could always be better. [/quote]
I know.

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:
I have been lifting for about one year now.[/quote]

Great work! Do you intend on staying around your current weight or getting heavier?

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Richard Hawthorne recently pulled 622 at 129lbs. Maybe go from there.[/quote]
I don’t think I will ever be able to pull 5 times my bodyweight. Just saying.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

Great work! Do you intend on staying around your current weight or getting heavier?[/quote]
I want to stay at my current weight for now. I want to enter my first powerlifting contest this May and I want to be in the 165 class. After that though I want to move up to the 181 class.

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

Great work! Do you intend on staying around your current weight or getting heavier?[/quote]
I want to stay at my current weight for now. I want to enter my first powerlifting contest this May and I want to be in the 165 class. After that though I want to move up to the 181 class.[/quote]

Cool. Hopefully you can make some nice progress between now and then as well. I don’t see you doing this by May, but if you could manage a 495 deadlift at 165 that would be 3x BW, which is a truly awesome milestone. I’m still working on getting 3x myself. Anyhow, good luck!

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

I want to stay at my current weight for now. I want to enter my first powerlifting contest this May and I want to be in the 165 class. After that though I want to move up to the 181 class.[/quote]

Cool. Hopefully you can make some nice progress between now and then as well. I don’t see you doing this by May, but if you could manage a 495 deadlift at 165 that would be 3x BW, which is a truly awesome milestone. I’m still working on getting 3x myself. Anyhow, good luck![/quote]
495 is actually my goal. I haven’t been training my deadlift at all the past few months because I was doing the 20 rep squat program. The last time I deadlifted heavy was back in October when I was doing Starting Strength where I worked up to doing 355 five times. I don’t live close to my gym but long story short I was in town where I workout and thought I would go ahead and max on deadlift. I was hoping to get 365 since I hadn’t pulled heavy for awhile and I took 2 weeks off from all lifting. But anyways, I am going to do 5/3/1 starting mid-January since I am on Christmas break now. 495 will be a real challenge to get in a few months.

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:
I don’t think I will ever be able to pull 5 times my bodyweight. Just saying.[/quote]

Hawthorne is a rare freak of nature. Out of curiosity I glanced at the current powerlifting watch records in 165, and the highest is 675 with 17 pulling 600+. You’d need a 523 pull to break into the top 100.

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

I was just curious.[/quote]

But for why? If you find out it is good will you now tell everyone you are doing good? If it is bad will you start training harder?

These threads pop up all the time.

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

I was just curious.[/quote]

But for why? If you find out it is good will you now tell everyone you are doing good? If it is bad will you start training harder?

These threads pop up all the time.[/quote]
Sorry. I was just excited because I didn’t expect to do that much. I always train hard.

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:
I don’t think I will ever be able to pull 5 times my bodyweight. Just saying.[/quote]

Hawthorne is a rare freak of nature. Out of curiosity I glanced at the current powerlifting watch records in 165, and the highest is 675 with 17 pulling 600+. You’d need a 523 pull to break into the top 100.[/quote]
I just lift because I enjoy it. If I make it into the top 100, great! If I don’t, that’s fine with me. It’s just fun to be in the gym for me.

You love to lift but are taking an entire month off for xmas break? That’s 1/12th of the whole year.

[quote]scj119 wrote:

You love to lift but are taking an entire month off for xmas break? That’s 1/12th of the whole year.[/quote]
A college student can’t afford to drive 30 miles to the gym and 30 miles back for an entire month.

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

[quote]scj119 wrote:

You love to lift but are taking an entire month off for xmas break? That’s 1/12th of the whole year.[/quote]
A college student can’t afford to drive 30 miles to the gym and 30 miles back for an entire month.[/quote]

if your drive changes as a college student during the winter break, that means you’re at your parents house for winter break. Which makes living expenses minimal. Most cars can go 60 miles on 3 gallons of gas, which is about 10 bucks. Let’s go with 4 gym sessions a week, so 16 total gym sessions. You’re saying you can’t pull together 160 bucks to be able to do something you love for an entire month? I’d be willing to bet there are a lot of other things you’d spend that kind of money on. Money’s not the real issue, you just don’t want to deal with it.

Carry on.