405 Deadlift at 164?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

[quote]scj119 wrote:

You love to lift but are taking an entire month off for xmas break? That’s 1/12th of the whole year.[/quote]
A college student can’t afford to drive 30 miles to the gym and 30 miles back for an entire month.[/quote]

if your drive changes as a college student during the winter break, that means you’re at your parents house for winter break. Which makes living expenses minimal. Most cars can go 60 miles on 3 gallons of gas, which is about 10 bucks. Let’s go with 4 gym sessions a week, so 16 total gym sessions. You’re saying you can’t pull together 160 bucks to be able to do something you love for an entire month? I’d be willing to bet there are a lot of other things you’d spend that kind of money on. Money’s not the real issue, you just don’t want to deal with it.

Carry on.[/quote]

Or at least twice a weak for half the price. Won’t progress as much but won’t regress either, and a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Just saying, if you “loved” it, you would do it. If you had a girlfriend who lived 30 miles away you’d find a way to see her twice a week if you could bone for two hours each time.

Whatever you guys want to think is fine with me. I am not a partyer or anything. I am a good student and a hard worker. 160 bucks could buy me a couple of textbooks for next semester. By the way I don’t have a girlfriend.

Go get a tire (theyre free!) and a tow harness/chain. Throw heavy shit in it. Drag forwards and backwards.

Put rocks and dirt in a wheelbarrow, push it up a hill until you cant anymore.

practice doing pistol squats.

Buy a moderately heavy kettlebell and do swings and belt squats.

Pullups on a rafter or a doorway.

Use an abwheel.

Go chop wood.

There are a variety of ways to train without a gym. I got myself pretty strong before I ever touched weights.

So, gym membership doesnt need to be an excuse. If you want more than 405 on your DL, you will find a way to train.

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:
Whatever you guys want to think is fine with me. I am not a partyer or anything. I am a good student and a hard worker. 160 bucks could buy me a couple of textbooks for next semester. By the way I don’t have a girlfriend.[/quote]

Didn’t say you were a partier, or that you didn’t work hard. I was just trying to open your eyes a bit, and reminding you that if it was a priority, you’d make it happen, AND buy all your textbooks. It’s not an either/or situation. One really has nothing to do with the other.

Side note - I’m surprised you can even get 2 textbooks for that money. A good percentage of my profs wrote their own publications and charged a fortune for them. I remember one publication by a prof that was being sold for 120 bucks… and it was about 50 pages. One dude bought the book, and half the class photocopied it.

I’d probably kill myself if I took a month off.

405 is pretty good. But who cares? The love of lifting should just push you and have you not worry about it. Just make progress. That’s all that matters. Unless you’re just looking for some validation so you can talk about your 405 to your friends or post it on facebook or whatever.

Just be happy that you are making progress. Keep learning, keep getting stronger and have fun with what you are doing.

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:
I don’t think I will ever be able to pull 5 times my bodyweight. Just saying.[/quote]

Hawthorne is a rare freak of nature. Out of curiosity I glanced at the current powerlifting watch records in 165, and the highest is 675 with 17 pulling 600+. You’d need a 523 pull to break into the top 100.[/quote]

On top of that he doesn’t even use a belt! He said in an article I read that he hasn’t been in a squat suit or bench shirt since the 2005 Arnold Classic. Unbelieveable.

Hey man,

I love your attitude, you’re handling yourself well.

405 is a great deadlift, it’s a huge milestone for anyone regardless of weight class… that you did it at 164 is very impressive.

Your goal of 495 is perfect, focus on that.

Taking a month off doesn’t mean you’re not comitted or anything like that, one of the best lifters I know takes a month off all the time, and he goes 700/500/800 raw.

I wish I could take a month off, but I love lifting too much, and I feel it holds me back and I wind up training through a lot of injuries instead of taking time off. That you’re as good as you are, and able to take time off tells me good things.

Don’t change a thing dude, stay the course.

[quote]666Rich wrote:
Go get a tire (theyre free!) and a tow harness/chain. Throw heavy shit in it. Drag forwards and backwards.

Put rocks and dirt in a wheelbarrow, push it up a hill until you cant anymore.

practice doing pistol squats.

Buy a moderately heavy kettlebell and do swings and belt squats.

Pullups on a rafter or a doorway.

Use an abwheel.

Go chop wood.

There are a variety of ways to train without a gym. I got myself pretty strong before I ever touched weights.

So, gym membership doesnt need to be an excuse. If you want more than 405 on your DL, you will find a way to train. [/quote]

I do workout every day. I do pushups, pullups, situps, pistols and such. I just don’t lift weights.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:
Whatever you guys want to think is fine with me. I am not a partyer or anything. I am a good student and a hard worker. 160 bucks could buy me a couple of textbooks for next semester. By the way I don’t have a girlfriend.[/quote]

Didn’t say you were a partier, or that you didn’t work hard. I was just trying to open your eyes a bit, and reminding you that if it was a priority, you’d make it happen, AND buy all your textbooks. It’s not an either/or situation. One really has nothing to do with the other.

Side note - I’m surprised you can even get 2 textbooks for that money. A good percentage of my profs wrote their own publications and charged a fortune for them. I remember one publication by a prof that was being sold for 120 bucks… and it was about 50 pages. One dude bought the book, and half the class photocopied it.[/quote]
I actually buy mine online. They are actually a lot cheaper there.

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
I’d probably kill myself if I took a month off.

405 is pretty good. But who cares? The love of lifting should just push you and have you not worry about it. Just make progress. That’s all that matters. Unless you’re just looking for some validation so you can talk about your 405 to your friends or post it on facebook or whatever.

Just be happy that you are making progress. Keep learning, keep getting stronger and have fun with what you are doing.[/quote]
I just wanted to see how I was doing. Just looking for some support to help me get better.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
Hey man,

I love your attitude, you’re handling yourself well.

405 is a great deadlift, it’s a huge milestone for anyone regardless of weight class… that you did it at 164 is very impressive.

Your goal of 495 is perfect, focus on that.

Taking a month off doesn’t mean you’re not comitted or anything like that, one of the best lifters I know takes a month off all the time, and he goes 700/500/800 raw.

I wish I could take a month off, but I love lifting too much, and I feel it holds me back and I wind up training through a lot of injuries instead of taking time off. That you’re as good as you are, and able to take time off tells me good things.

Don’t change a thing dude, stay the course.[/quote]
Thanks for the support. I’ve been reading a lot of Jim Wendler’s articles lately and you sound like him, training through injuries instead of resting. Interesting.

I didn’t mean to cause so much arguing on here. I was just excited from the lift and wanted to see if it was any good. I realize that you all are just trying to help me and I appreciate it greatly. I did Starting Strength for four or five months and the 20 Rep Squat Program after that for about 8 weeks. I figured since it was Christmas Break and my body was a little broke down that it would be a good time to take a break from lifting. Anyways I apologize for all of the arguing.

People here are just giving you a hard time because they think by making this thread you are trying to brag. Thats a good deadlift and taking time off isnt gonna kill you. I take time off due to sports frequently and I come back hungrier and fresh. When you come back youll be at your previous level of strength in two weeks.

[quote]Brian14 wrote:
People here are just giving you a hard time because they think by making this thread you are trying to brag. Thats a good deadlift and taking time off isnt gonna kill you. I take time off due to sports frequently and I come back hungrier and fresh. When you come back youll be at your previous level of strength in two weeks.[/quote]
I agree with you. In high school, I played 3 sports and whenever I had a break from one of them, I felt like I had more drive and wanted to do better. I think it is a mental thing.

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

If 160 bucks can buy you two textbooks you’re not getting a real degree!

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

If 160 bucks can buy you two textbooks you’re not getting a real degree![/quote]
Exercise Science and Field/Environmental Biology. Public Health minor.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

Side note - I’m surprised you can even get 2 textbooks for that money. A good percentage of my profs wrote their own publications and charged a fortune for them. I remember one publication by a prof that was being sold for 120 bucks… and it was about 50 pages. One dude bought the book, and half the class photocopied it.[/quote]

I can get good deals online. One of my textbooks was over $200 at the campus bookstore but I got it online for under $100.

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

Who the hell buys textbooks? I’m betting you buy all of your books new and then sell them back at the end of the semester, don’t you?

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

Who the hell buys textbooks? I’m betting you buy all of your books new and then sell them back at the end of the semester, don’t you?[/quote]
Like I said before, I buy them used online. But you are probably right. This is my first year of college so I am new to this. I probably won’t buy textbooks down the road but for now I will.

Textbooks are a crooked industry.

Good job working out everyday. I am just trying to provide some “non weightlifting” ideas for training.

Rosstraining.com is a great resource for such. He pulled over 5 bills, and rarely deadlifts. Does a ton of stuff with home made implements though.