2014 NFL Thread

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
PRE SEASON FOOTBALL…underwhelming as usual[/quote]
Work blew the fuck up yesterday.

I did not even get to watch a game. Recorded the Dallas, going to watch with Doogie this evening.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
PRE SEASON FOOTBALL…underwhelming as usual[/quote]

Yes yo underwhelming, but then again, it is football! & that’s a good thing.

I did watch the 1st half of the Skins game. They looked pretty good. That running game is tough.

& of course being down here, I didn’t see 1 play of the Jets game. I did read where Patterson was lit up so bad that Rex kept him in through a good part of the 3rd. That’s my biggest concern. Opposite Millner is going to be a problem.

random thoughts time…

Excited about the Bears, but can’t see them winning it all with their defense. It will be better, but you can only do so much in one year.

Pats will be quite good I think if their don’t get bit too bad by the injury bug. I don’t care for Dobson, and Amendola will probably get injured, but IF Gronk stays healthy, they have him, Kenbrell who seems to be playing a lot better training camp reports (he was kind of thrust into it last year), Vereen+Ridley+James White, and Edelman.

I also think the offense of the Ravens will be interesting with Kubiak as the OC. I could see them in the Superbowl again. Ray Rice looked like his old self, even on the limited carries, and Pierce is supposedly looking good in camp. Torrey Smith of course, and Steve Smith is still a good receiver. Also lots of 2-TE sets with Pitta and Daniels, and watch out for the pass-catching FB Kyle Juszczyk.

I think Chris Johnson can be pretty good in the Jets backfield, and I’m wondering how Dee Milliner will improve this year.

Carlos Hyde looked pretty good, but I’m wondering how much of that was due to the blocking.

I expect a bounce-back year for Eli Manning, and Reuben Randle should be a pretty darn good receiver this year, I think.

Andy Dalton will win a post-season game this year!

Regardless if Marques Colston stays healthy or not, the Brees pass attack should be even more scary this year. Graham of course, Kenny Stills, and now Cooks seems to be lighting it up. And you have Meachem who is not that good but will burn someone for a touchdown every now and then.

I’m going to make a prediction that Foles will take a step back this year. Not set on Maclin as the WR1, Cooper seems banged up (at least for now), but Ertz + Sproles should be interesting to watch.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

When Vick first got signed (which kiled me) I thought in order to save Geno’s confidence you had to start Vick, the other way around especially with a tough schedule and a clunker of a game fans and the media will call for vick immediately. It may be crushing to Geno’s confidence.

If Geno falters horribly and Vick comes in as a savior, you will never see Smith again (except for injury)and once again the Jets have no QB of the future.[/quote]

It’s better if Vick starts and gets replaced with Geno than the other way around. If Geno gets sat for Vick, it’s curtains on his NFL career. He’ll be a backup for the rest of his career.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

When Vick first got signed (which kiled me) I thought in order to save Geno’s confidence you had to start Vick, the other way around especially with a tough schedule and a clunker of a game fans and the media will call for vick immediately. It may be crushing to Geno’s confidence.

If Geno falters horribly and Vick comes in as a savior, you will never see Smith again (except for injury)and once again the Jets have no QB of the future.[/quote]

It’s better if Vick starts and gets replaced with Geno than the other way around. If Geno gets sat for Vick, it’s curtains on his NFL career. He’ll be a backup for the rest of his career.[/quote]
He has been nothing but a back up since he came back into the league IMO

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
All I know this is going to be a LLLLLLOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG season for me. After last years Defense I would say all we can go is up…but now after the off season. I am not at all confident in that statement. [/quote]

ye of little faith.
[/quote]
Sigh. Dude not to be a dick but I have been a fan longer than you have been alive. Its called be realistic. JJ has set this team up to just out score people, tell me the last time that shit has worked? [/quote]

Maybe so chief. I’m 39 btw.

I just get the impression that you came onboard when Jimmy was here in the 90’s.

Outscoring the opponent works 100% of the time. haha

But, building your offensive line to be the best in the NFL works to help the defense if used properly. You can eat up the clock with the running game. I have zero problems with the Cowboys building their offensive line to be one of the best in the NFL.

The offensive line is probably the most important position in the game. You’ll have no offense with out one, and thus score no points. No points, no wins.

That said, i feel for Joe Thomas wasting away in Cleveland, but then i realize how much money he makes and dont feel as bad.

fuck them cowboys, i hope they go 8-8 until jj gives up control.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

fuck them cowboys, i hope they go 8-8 until jj gives up control. [/quote]

I’m one of the eternally optimistic Cowboys fans who deep in my heart believes we are making the playoffs before the season starts. This year, though, I’d be thrilled to hit 8-8.

The Packers made a few good moves. I like the addition of Peppers. If Mathews and Peppers both stay healthy (and especially if Raji can return to form), the pass rush looks dangerous. Safety is still my biggest concern.

The offense looks dangerous again this year. And of course, anytime Aaron Rodgers is behind center, we’ll have a chance at the playoffs.

My thoughts on the rest of the North: Vikings will be last in the division again. New coach, new QB (kinda/maybe), and another waste for the best running back in the NFL. Bears look better this year. I don’t expect much of their D though, and people in GB cheered when Jay signed his extension. I haven’t been paying much attention to the Lions, honestly. I’m guessing they’ll fight the Bears for the #2. …I just looked at some power rankings and was surprised to see the Bears so high. Perhaps they are better than I thought and will give the Pack a run this year. …This could be dangerous as I’m used to winning bets against my Chicago friends.

John football did not look bad last night.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
John football did not look bad last night. [/quote]

I thought he looked “good”.

On a scale of bad, not bad, pretty good, good, very good, great.

He showed a few flashes on what is going to make him a star. Also, the receivers are going to learn very quickly that when on the field with Johnny Football you better be expecting the ball on every play. Or, you might take a pass to the side of the helmet.

The Browns receivers were not exactly NFL quality last night, and it definitely hurt him on at least one failed 3rd down conversion.

I really liked what I saw from manziel. Maybe at times a little skittish but overall I was impressed

Clowney looked very impressive. Scary impressive. Possibly unstoppable impressive

I’ll admit im still waiting to see what john football can do, and im not a believer yet; but i like the idea of trading Hoyer to his former QB coach bill Obrian for andre johnson and letting him catch jump balls from manziel. Then whenever Gordon gets back from his suspension watch out. crazy talk

Ryan Shazier looked liked the real deal.

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Clowney looked very impressive. Scary impressive. Possibly unstoppable impressive[/quote]

x2. Dude looks killer.

I will be paying attention to a pre - season Monday Night football game that does not feature the Cowboys tonight. I’m actually excited to see Manziel take first team snaps against first team defensive players. Should get to see a handful of flashes of greatness

[quote]mbdix wrote:
I will be paying attention to a pre - season Monday Night football game that does not feature the Cowboys tonight. I’m actually excited to see Manziel take first team snaps against first team defensive players. Should get to see a handful of flashes of greatness[/quote]

I’m running calls tonight so I’m hoping it’s slow enough I can just stare at the game. I’m excited to see the first squad for both teams.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
All I know this is going to be a LLLLLLOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG season for me. After last years Defense I would say all we can go is up…but now after the off season. I am not at all confident in that statement. [/quote]

ye of little faith.
[/quote]
Sigh. Dude not to be a dick but I have been a fan longer than you have been alive. Its called be realistic. JJ has set this team up to just out score people, tell me the last time that shit has worked? [/quote]

Maybe so chief. I’m 39 btw.

I just get the impression that you came onboard when Jimmy was here in the 90’s.

Outscoring the opponent works 100% of the time. haha

But, building your offensive line to be the best in the NFL works to help the defense if used properly. You can eat up the clock with the running game. I have zero problems with the Cowboys building their offensive line to be one of the best in the NFL.
[/quote]
Sorry work has been killing me so missed this.

Sorry but you struck me as much much younger. So that is a good thing at your age.

No I was a fan since we moved to Texas when I was 9 years old. Danny White and TD was who I started with.