2 Plate Bench, 3 Plate Squat, and 4 Plate Deadlift by 2019

Hey mate, you are an antagonist so you do it your way, and probably likes a bit of a discussion, I like that.
One of my good friends is antagonist as well :slight_smile: The above is said in a positive manner, I think you are doing well.

I always say: “do what you like to do, not what might be best”
If you do something consistent and like it, it works much better than the best program in the world, if you do not like it and don’t do it consistent.

How much did you progress on it until now?

I Kind of like the way it’s laid out.
One day heavy triples, doubles or singles and one day with more volume.
I do not like deadlift for reps :slight_smile: On the other hand when I did it for more reps I progressed more … so that is a reminder to my self :slight_smile:

How do you progress:
Do you do triples and ad weight every week until you can’t then still ad weight and shift to doubles ending with singles until you get to a weight you can’t get all 10 singles?

I would do BB rows on day 1 or 3 and pull ups on the other day.
Core work every day, different exercises.
Ad in curls and triceps work if you like.

On another note THIS :arrow_down::arrow_down:

Is a very good and trusted program and one I would vouch for.

Whatever you choose believe in it and trust it.

EDIT:
Go check @isdatnutty log he is doing a very simple progression explained only a few days ago.

1 Like

Yea, in reference to the best lifts of his I could find, which are 525/375/625. I don’t compete in powerlifting, I compete in strongman. But if you gave me 4 weeks to prepare, I could out-total that. In the same weight class. And the number of times I’ve squatted this year is… maybe 6? And I’ve probably benched less than 10 times. So if we’re going by how much a person lifts as being a reason to listen to one person over another, I think my voice should be just as useful :slight_smile:

And look, those numbers are alright, better than what most people will ever achieve. I’m a world-class lightweight strongman competitor, so I should also be putting up respectable numbers. But look at how long he’s been competing solely in powerlifting. He’s done a zillion meets from the looks of it, his programming is fully dedicated to powerlifting, and his numbers are within 30 lbs of what I put up in the one and only powerlifting meet I ever did, which was as a 181 competitor. If I remember correctly, I totaled around 1490. To me, that tells me his programming sucks. If I’d been competing for 10 years, and that’s the best I could do, I wouldn’t be particularly happy. I sure as hell wouldn’t be selling my program, lol.

To me, this looks like a program that is absolutely destined to have major stalling after a relatively short period. Like within 2 months.

Last point: dude. ‘Jacked and Tan 2.0’? Does that sound like the name of a solid program, or does it sound like good marketing?

EDIT: just a side note, when I put up that 1490 total, I DID make PL Watch’s top 50. I think I topped out around 20… for that year. Sooooo yea. He’s definitely not even sniffing a top 50 all time with those numbers. Much less top 11

1 Like

What kind of programming would you suggest for a beginner like me and how did you program to get to those numbers? I have been reading your logs(lurking thoigh) so I already know you’re a strong dude lol.

I’m a simple guy. I like 5/3/1 with the boring but big assistance work. I used to run that, and most of my training is loosely based around the concepts I learned from that.

My biggest problem with the program you posted is that it relies so heavily on singles. LOTS of singles. I’ve never seen a lifter benefit from that many singles. I’m a firm believer that strength should be built through higher rep work. Most people shouldn’t really be performing singles at any point in their training until close to a meet, when their determining openers. That and simply getting used to holding a heavy weight are the 2 uses for singles. If you’ve acclimated your body to the feeling of heavy weights, you won’t get much additional benefit from singles. I also wouldn’t be doing more than about 3 singles in any training session to benefit from this training effect, because your singles SHOULD be pretty heavy.

3 Likes

I’m not going to add any programming advice as there are people on here more accomplished that me already giving some sound advice. @flipcollar is spot on and you should listen to him but also @mortdk gives a good point. You need to pick a program that YOU want to do. Something that interests you and keeps you motivated will always give better results.
When I returned to training after 10 years away I did full body 2-3 days a week, 6 compound exercises 3 sets of 8-10 reps and just added weight each week in linear progression fassion. I did this for 12 months, and only moved to something else when the weights I was lifting were what I deemed to be high enough. I’m not suggesting you do this but my point is, I did this because it was basic, simple, I couldn’t fk it up, and I just LOVED the simple nature of adding weight or reps every week. Most programs with the right consistency and effort will work. But a program with higher reps and higher frequency tends to work better for novice lifters in my experience.
Pick something with a decent amount of frequency and volume, train and eat hard and do this for a year.

3 Likes

July 19 nutrition
150 gmd of noodles + 3 eggs + 50 gms of chicken + 100 gms o rice + 100 gmd of dhal + 3 rotis + 200 gmd of chicken = 450 + 225 + 55 + 160 + 110 + 390 + 400 = 1790 calories

July 20 workout
Ohp = 47 kilos X 3,3,3,3,3
Deadlift = 100 kilos x 6,6. Form started slipping hard so did not do the final set.
Pullups = 5,5
Tricep overhead press = 15 kilos x 12,10,10

July 22 workout
Bench = 75 kilos x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
Squat = 67 kilos x 10,10,10
Arms too many sets and reps to count.
Rear delt flies = 20 kilos x 15,15,15

Last day before I go for a 1rm in 3 days

Did not eat properly the day before I think I underate by like 800 calories. Today was the max day

Bench = 170 pounds which is 10 pounds less than what I expected.
Deadlift = 300 lbs which is 15 pounds less than I expected.

Really disappojnted. What are your thoughts on trying for a max again. In like two weeks or so all fueled up?

Accept these lifts as your current maxes and use these numbers to program into a 3 month Boring But Big challenge.

In my opinion that would be two weeks of strength and muscle gain wasted. Testing maxes is not really all that important in strength training, especially with your experience level. I’d focus on just building more strength instead.

Agree with above, even if you felt better next week or ate more, what are you going to see 10 maybe 15lbs and then what? You start another program in 2 weeks. All you have done is lost a 2 week opportunity to hit more volume and get stronger. Use these numbers as you max and follow a decent program. Train HARD with consistency and put more effort into eating than you do into training. Good luck and keep updating your log.

1 Like

I’ll just join the chorus and tell you to start training again, don’t waste time testing.
In april you did 250 lbs DL so that’s a 50 lbs pr in a little over 3 month
Bench was 65 kg - 145 lbs so that’s a 25 lbs increase.

I would take it as a huuuugge increase in not that long of a timeframe.
Congrats from here, you’ve done really well.

July 30 workout
Squat = 75 kilos x 6,6,6,6
Bench = 52 kilos x 12,12,12. Feels good mane. I remember struggling to do 3 sets of 6 with them. These sets were relatively easy too.
One arm dumbbell row = 15 kilos x 12,12,10,10.
Wanted to take it slow today because first day of program but will be adding some bodyweight pull and push movement as well.

What program, rep scheme, progression method. Did you decide on ?

Day 1
Squat = 4 sets of 6. 5 lb progression each week, if stalled move to 5 sets of 4 with 5 lb progressikn. If stalled move to 7 sets of 2.
Bench = 3 sets of 12 then 3 sets of 10 then 3 sets of 8. 2.5 lb progression and same as above i.e I move through the rep ranges as my progress stalls
Upper back exercise - Some type of row my choice from bent over pendlay and one arm dumbbell rows.increase whenever possiblr. If not able to increase I’d fine too.
Bodyweight push-dips or pushups = 50 reps.
Bodyweight pull-pull ups / chinups = 50
Whatever accessories based on whatever hurts on my body for that day or my weak body parts.

Day 2
Ohp = 4 x 6/ 5 x 4/2 x 7
Stiff legged deadlifts = 12 x 3/ 10 x 3/ 8 x 3. 1 to 10. Usually increase by 5 but if I have a shitty day only increase by one or two pounds.
Upper back exercise
Bodyweight Push
Bodyweight Pull

Day 3
Bench = 6 x 4/5 x 4/2 x 7
Squat = 12 x 3/10 x 3/8 x 3. 0 to 10 lbs 5 usually but if I feel shitty less of an increase.
Upper back
Body weight push
Bodyweight pull.
Accessories based on weaknesses.

Day 4
Deadlift = 6 x 4/5 x 4/ 2 x 7
Push press = 12 x 3/10 x 3/8 x 3
Upper back
Bodyweight Push
Bodyweight pull
Accessories

Edit: Will be using 75 percent for the heavy sets and 65 percent for the light sets and go from there.

1 Like

Also please let me know if my program is complete garbage.

Also come to think of it I think I’m getting more than enough upper back stress from the ohp. Should I substitute the upper back accessorg with shoulder work? Or maybe do weighted pull ups instead of normal bodyweight pull ups ?

I wouldn’t, even though the upper back is working as a stabilizer for the OHP it won’t be enough alone. Personally I’d do at least one row variation each week.

Regarding pull ups, if you can do, say, bodyweight for multiple sets of 8-10, I’d suggest starting to add weight.

Hey Antagonist, Good to see you working to improve, and you’re getting some good advice here. I’d say one of the best people to listen to here is flipcollar, and I’ll second his recommendation for 5/3/1. I won’t say your program is garbage, but I don’t think it’s the right program for where you are at your training age. One thing that really caught my eye scrolling through the last few weeks of your workouts is doing singles at 75 kilos on the bench. With the weights you’re moving, singles are the last thing you should be doing. What you need is volume on the core exercises, progressive loading and lots of food intake.

You need to keep it simple, and you’re doing a (relatively) complicated program that’s designed for incremental increases for a lifter that’s a lot closer to their genetic strength potential. You have a lot of room to grow just by doing something like 5x5’s on squat, bench, deadlift and press, and adding 2.5 or 5 kilos every week or so. I bet that if you were to do 5x5’s and add 2.5 kilos every week on your upper exercises, and 5 kilos on your lower, and eat a whole boatload of good food, you will meet your 2/3/4 plate goal by the end of the year.

Heck, I know it doesn’t get talked about a lot here anymore, but the simplest thing you could probably do would be Starting Strength, with or without the gallon of milk a day. The GOMAD would guarantee that you keep adding weight to the bar, but you’ll also probably end up with at least 10# of extra fat by the end of the beginner gains, so if that’s a concern, just add an extra 1000 Kcal every day to fuel the gains.