2 Plate Bench, 3 Plate Squat, and 4 Plate Deadlift by 2019

Yeah man eating eggs would be the easiest way to add calories and protein for me cause I love eggs lol.

I am no expert but given your weight and current level of strength I would be focused on more volume with some form of linear progression. working at a higher percentage for low reps does work for improving maximal strength, This is fine if yo my are already strong, but for building up your base strength and adding more muscle, I think there are better ways.
If you are following a program then I totally agree to finish it next week. But then maybe look to change.

2 Likes

I don’t think your program is volume for where you need to be. It does give you good numbers to work off for 1RMs. I like the sets you got of 8-12 though. I think this will be major for your progress

2 Likes

July 17 nutrition
100 GM’s of rice + 75 GM’s of chicken + 6 roti + 200 GMs of chicken + 3 eggs + 100 GMs peanuts = 160 + 125 + 780 + 400 + 225 + 600 = 2300 CALs

July 18 workout
Squat = 75 kilos x 3,3,3,3,3
Bench = 55 kilos x 10,10,7
Rear felt flies = 10,10
Chin ups = 5,4,4 one minute rest in between.

1 Like

Intermediate/advanced lifters yes. Complete beginners can gain maximal strength even from lifting at 40%, and as you progress that number will rise.

Not neccessarily, that deepens on the individual and the exercise. For example, I can do 5x8 at 80% on the bench press, but for some, a triple at 70% may be all they can do.

Volume is certainly one key element in strength training; with it you can build strength, and if you go into a realization phase after a higher volume phase (accumulation phase) you’ll see dramatic increases in strength.

Volume, intensity, frequency; they are all just pieces of puzzle, and if one of them is missing the whole thing will be crooked.

2 Likes

After testing my maxes, I am thinking of using the same program I am using right now with the same exercises(maybe add one more accessory movement that closely mimics my main movement, something like a close grip bench press a romanian deadlift etc though) that I am using right now but using a rep range rotation of 4 sets of 5, 5 sets of 3 and 6 sets of 2.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the volume would be enough because I would be using 80 percent of my 1rm?

Also please feel free to give me some advice on this as well @mortdk @simo74 @SOUL_FIGHTER @flipcollar

My program is basically :
Day 1- Bench = 5 sets of 3/ 6 sets of 2/ 10 sets of 1
Squat = 3 sets of 10/ 3 sets of 8/ 3 sets of 6
Whatever accessories I want for 3 sets of 15 45 seconds to 1.5 minute rest.

Day 2- OHP = 5 sets of 3/ 6 sets of 2/ 10 sets of 1
Deadlift = 3 sets of 10/ 3 sets of 8/ 3 sets of 6
Whatever accessories I want I want for 3 sets of 15 45 seconds to 1.5 minute
rest…

Day 3- Squat = 5 sets of 3/ 6 sets of 2/ 10 sets of 1.
Bench = 3 sets of 10/ 3 sets of 8/ 3 sets of 6
Whatever accessories I want I want for 3 sets of 15 45 seconds to 1.5 minute
rest.

To the above I already added 2 sets of hanging leg raises which has been helping my often sore lower back. .

I don’t think you’re going heavy enough to benefit off singles. But I understand that you may enjoy singles.

I think 5/3/1 would be perfect for you.

1 Like

No i fucking hate singles that is honestly why I’m thinking of changing the rep range from 5 sets of 3, 6 sets of 2 and 10 sets of 1 to 4 sets of 5, 5 sets of 3 and 6 sets of 2 . The volume still isn’t enough in my honest opinion that is why i am also going to add another accessory exercise that is almost the same as my main movement(cgbp etc) for 3 sets of 10, 3 sets of 8 and 3 sets of 6.

The first thing I want to say is that you’re not at a level where ‘whatever accessories I want’ makes sense. That’s something advanced lifters can get away with, not you. If you do this, you’ll end up favoring exercises you just like. It’s not a good plan.

I have to be honest, there’s pretty much nothing about this plan that I like. Did you write this program yourself?

How are you choosing your weights for each set?

I also don’t see anything about how you intend to progressively overload the movements (which goes along with the previous question).

My apologies if you’ve answered these in a previous post, but I really don’t have time to read through your whole log.

No its not a program I wrote myself Its written by Cody lefever of the infamous Jacked and Tan 2.0 program and a colorado state record holding powerlifter in the 181 weight class. I am following the GZCLP Program.

For the heavy exercise(Tier 1 exercise) I use 85 percent of my max and I progress by 5 lbs every time I hit the number of reps, and when I don’t, I move on to the next rep range in that list of rep ranges(3->2->1 reps for 5->6->10 sets) and try to add 5 lbs again. I use 70 percent of my max on the lighter exercise(Tier 2 exercise) and progress from 3 sets of 10->3 sets of 8-> 3 sets of 6.

The Program is called the GZCLP linear program.

Never heard of him. State records don’t mean much to me personally. State Record for bench used to be sub-300 where I live.

There is a reddit powerlifting thread about him.

He is also the 11th strongest powerlifter in the world in his weightclass.

Still havent heard of him. He might be a great athlete, but I don’t think he’s qualified to write programs. It may have worked for him, but it looks less than ideal.

Fair enough, what would you suggest?

1 Like

5/3/1 and its variations. I personally started with BBB, and eventually did a dropset/rest-pause variation I found in an article here.

Texas Method helped me prepare for a powerlifting meet before I started working with a coach.

Kizen Infinite Program (AMRAP sets really kick started my growth). After my 2nd meet, I got tired of the big 3, so I did a few months of 8x8 with short rests which was great, but to get back into the big 3, I did Omar Isuf/SilentMike/BartKwans Kizen program (free).

I’m currently doing Bulgarian-ish Method.

1 Like

Honestly @antagonisticsavant I would just do this something like this:

DAY 1
Back Squat - 531 + 5x5
Bench Press - 531 + 3x10
Rows - 100 Reps
Dips, Curls, Ab Wheel, Back Ext - 50 reps each

DAY 2
Deadlift - 531 + 5x5
OH Press - 531 + 5x5
Chin-Ups - 50-100 reps
Lunges, Push Ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Band Pull Aparts - 50 reps each

DAY 3
Back Squat - 531 + 3x10
Bench Press - 531 + 5x5
Rows - 100 total reps
DB Press, Curls, Weighted Sit Up, Back Ext - 50 reps each

This would work MUCH better than the program you made.

1 Like

Self-proclaimed 11th strongest powerlifter in the world in his weightclass or has he greatly improved his numbers that hasn’t been recorded yet by open PL?

Huh, fair enough. Looks like he lied smh.

Edit: Jesus Christ, those powerlifting numbers in the Open PL website are insane. I didn’t realize that powerlifting advanced that much in the last two years.

1 Like

Also nowhere to be found on Powerlifting Watch