Your Overhead Press Compared to Bench

What percentage of one’s bench press should the overhead press be?

Any tips would be great guys such as your lifts compared to each other?
Mines’ 70kg OH cf 130kg BP.

I think my OHP is a bit low.

thanks

There is no “should” here. Just make them both strong.

And really, since this is the powerlifting forum, just do whatever it takes to make your bench strong. If you can raw bench 800lbs and only overhead press 135, you just won powerlifting.

EXRX strength standards chart says an advanced lifter at 198lbs should be able to bench 290lbs and strict press 175lbs.

But who cares, right? If you want a bigger press, hammer on it.

I can bench 350 and over head press 225, just hit a 2 plate press last week.

so that’s just under 65%, don’t know if that’s good or bad but I want a bodyweight press so I still have 10 pounds to go, so… I’m throwing it in as a primary lift.

If you think your OHP is low focus on that. I don’t think there’s a written rule about what percentage your OHP compared to your bench is. I know there are a few articles in here that do have some percentages for you.

My press is 275, and my best bench is 405x2. I do more OHP lately as flat bench has caused a lot of shoulder pain

^ Two great examples. I don’t know of anyone with a strong OHP who was weak at bench press. I’ve personally known many who were the other way around.

I’ve put 365 over head but never benched more than 400.

If that’s a strict press, you’d be the most extreme example I’ve ever come across.

But I still wouldn’t ever consider that a weak bench by any means.

I’ve been doing both for a number of months, alternating 5/3/1 and volume (5x10 @50%). I’ve hit 3 plates on the bench and 2 on the OHP, seem pretty balanced. However, I have just taken OHP out of the mix to focus on the bench; after all, there’s no OHP in Powerlifting and the OHP has only a minor carry-over into Bench.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
If that’s a strict press, you’d be the most extreme example I’ve ever come across.

But I still wouldn’t ever consider that a weak bench by any means.[/quote]

I’m sure it’s a push press, or some type of jerk.

Before Reed got mostly into powerlifting, his push press was significantly stronger than his bench. he could push press in the low 300’s, and couldn’t bench more than 275 or so, if I remember correctly.

My best strict press was 215 I think. That was when I was benching about 315. My best bench now is 375. No idea what I can OHP, but I bet it hasn’t changed much.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

365 push press, around 300 strict. I’ve log pressed 320 as well. Bench is probably a stout 405 if I train it for long enough, but I injured my pec 6 months ago.

Also, I’m going to go ahead and say weightlifters who are proficient at jerks are basically exempt from this rule.

Yeah Flip I had a 275 sloppy tng bench when I Strict Pressed 245 and had 290 for 2 12 log press and 305 for 2 axle press. I have not strict pressed much at all int the past few years but am confident the strict press is close to that and the Push Press is easily still that.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
365 push press, around 300 strict. I’ve log pressed 320 as well. Bench is probably a stout 405 if I train it for long enough, but I injured my pec 6 months ago.

Also, I’m going to go ahead and say weightlifters who are proficient at jerks are basically exempt from this rule. [/quote]

Isn’t a jerk not a press though? It’s a manner of getting a weight overhead, absolutely, but as far as I’m aware, you can actually get red lights in weightlifting for pressing a jerk out.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

Also, I’m going to go ahead and say weightlifters who are proficient at jerks are basically exempt from this rule. [/quote]

Isn’t a jerk not a press though? It’s a manner of getting a weight overhead, absolutely, but as far as I’m aware, you can actually get red lights in weightlifting for pressing a jerk out.[/quote]

Yeah. That’s what I meant. A clean and jerk isn’t exactly a press, and whether or not you can strict press 300lbs has little to do with how big your total is in weightlifting. So basically the equation has no say in the scenario of a weightlifter.

Strict overhead press is about 70% or a little less, when I trained push press it was 100% of bench press and would have been higher If I had the core strength (pressing was not the problem, controlling the weight was).

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

That’s more in the normal range, but 75% of bench is definitely at the higher end of normal. Damn strong on all counts.