Wow: Facts of Dieting

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Christine wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
streamline wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
streamline wrote:
Dieting 101, K-calories energy expenditure most exceed K-calorie intake. Class dismissed!

it’s not that simple, humans are not a bomb calorimeter

It is that simple.

alright, consume 1000 calories of sugar instead of 1000 calories of animal protein/fats + other protein/fat sources and see if you have the same bf %

The article was about weight loss, not fat loss.

Right?

True, but when people say they want to lose weight, what are they really talking about? Losing fat or losing muscle?

I really think some people are so clueless they don’t care. As long as the #s go down.

I’ve had clients who notice their clothes fitting better, but if the scale doesn’t budge, they feel like shit.
[/quote]

Well, isn’t it our job to explain that to them? I agree that some people are completely clueless about this and don’t care. However, most of the people I’ve dealt with do understand. They just don’t do the work.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Christine wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
streamline wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
streamline wrote:
Dieting 101, K-calories energy expenditure most exceed K-calorie intake. Class dismissed!

It is that simple.

alright, consume 1000 calories of sugar instead of 1000 calories of animal protein/fats + other protein/fat sources and see if you have the same bf %

Right?

True, but when people say they want to lose weight, what are they really talking about? Losing fat or losing muscle?

I really think some people are so clueless they don’t care. As long as the #s go down.

I’ve had clients who notice their clothes fitting better, but if the scale doesn’t budge, they feel like shit.

Well, isn’t it our job to explain that to them? I agree that some people are completely clueless about this and don’t care. However, most of the people I’ve dealt with do understand. They just don’t do the work.[/quote]

Of course I explain it, but even then you can still see it in their eyes (disappointment, though better).

It’s like when a person comes up to me in the gym and asks what exercise they can do to get rid of their gut, and I explain it. They still look at me, with the look of “yeah, but which machine would help”
I swear, I just want to beat my head against a wall sometimes.

Sometimes people do get it and that makes it worth my while

[quote]AngryVader wrote:

Articles like this only confuse them further.

[/quote]

I agree with this!

[quote]AngryVader wrote:

However, most of the people I’ve dealt with do understand. They just don’t do the work.[/quote]

This is why we become jaded when it comes to talking about diet and fitness.

I can talk your ear off, but most people don’t want to know the truth.

AngryVader wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Christine wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
streamline wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
streamline wrote:

It is that simple.

Right?

Well, isn’t it our job to explain that to them? I agree that some people are completely clueless about this and don’t care. However, most of the people I’ve dealt with do understand. They just don’t do the work.

Of course I explain it, but even then you can still see it in their eyes (disappointment, though better).

It’s like when a person comes up to me in the gym and asks what exercise they can do to get rid of their gut, and I explain it. They still look at me, with the look of “yeah, but which machine would help”
I swear, I just want to beat my head against a wall sometimes.

Sometimes people do get it and that makes it worth my while

[/quote]

I probably should have been a little more clear in my original post because I don’t want to sound like I don’t understand your point.

When people ask me about losing weight, I know they are just saying ‘weight’, but they really want to lose ‘fat’. I’ll spell it all out for them, tell them all the things they need to do. Most of the time, they’ll get it and those are the times that make me happy. But then there are those times where they give me reasons why they can’t do any of the stuff I tell them they need to do. They want something easier. I can’t deal with that either. I get frustrated just tell them to do whatever they want then. Eat less and do cardio. Leave me alone.

Oh and I’m not a trainer. I’m just that guy that always gets asked questions like these at work, by friends, at parties, etc.

Gotcha.

I figured you were a trainer since you’re a level 5, man you must love Biotest :smiley:

Gotcha.

I figured you were a trainer since you’re a level 5, man you must love Biotest :smiley:

[/quote]

I’m just a Biotest junkie. :smiley:

I’ve thought about becoming a trainer, but I’ve never been sure I could handle the more frustrating aspects of it.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Gotcha.

I’ve thought about becoming a trainer, but I’ve never been sure I could handle the more frustrating aspects of it.[/quote]

Word. I actually really enjoy it when people ask me about nutrition and training, but it really irritates me that it pretty much goes in one ear and out the other.

If I could just jump into training elite athletes, that would probably be my dream job. I’m holding my breath on that one.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Gotcha.

I’ve thought about becoming a trainer, but I’ve never been sure I could handle the more frustrating aspects of it.

Word. I actually really enjoy it when people ask me about nutrition and training, but it really irritates me that it pretty much goes in one ear and out the other.

If I could just jump into training elite athletes, that would probably be my dream job. I’m holding my breath on that one.
[/quote]

Can you make your clients sign something that says that they must do everything you tell them to do?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Can you make your clients sign something that says that they must do everything you tell them to do?[/quote]

I very much doubt it. The best trainers are either insanely rich, or very poor. The rich ones have superstar clients, and the poor ones scare off the quivering fatties. That’s an oversimplification, but you get my point.

[quote]dk44 wrote:

My fatass bitch of a mom would be fine if you could just suck the bones out of her body as long as she could tell her friends “I’ve lost 20lbs! Yay!”
[/quote]

It’s not NICE to call your mother bad names.
You’re a bad, bad boy, and need to be spanked. Hard.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
dk44 wrote:

My fatass bitch of a mom would be fine if you could just suck the bones out of her body as long as she could tell her friends “I’ve lost 20lbs! Yay!”

[/quote]

WHOA! Getting a little kinky in here.

While I didn’t find the article particularly revolutionary or informative, it’s 80% spot on.

Some guys here a just blind devotees who’d say squats and milk to her girlfriend who’s complaining about getting chubby.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
dk44 wrote:

[/quote]

I have never been good with adjectives, srry. (But you can still spank me)(Hard)

That was probably the best mainstream article on weight loss I have ever read

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
While I didn’t find the article particularly revolutionary or informative, it’s 80% spot on.

Some guys here a just blind devotees who’d say squats and milk to her girlfriend who’s complaining about getting chubby.
[/quote]

You’re right, the article did have some good points, but the bad stuff outweighed it so much in actual content. Crap like that article is what leads so many to be so stupid with fat loss

[quote]streamline wrote:
nowakc wrote:
“Most people burn about one calorie per kilogram of body weight per minute”

um, correct me if i’m misunderstanding this, but doesnt this mean i burned around 90 calories in the last minute (because i’m not you know, ripped like a bodybuilder). Good thing i’m cutting, otherwise in order to maintain I should actually be eating 129600 calories a day.

This article is just ridiculous

There is a difference between calories and K-calories. [/quote]

you’re right, oddly enough, it’s a factor of 1000. He clearly only needs to be eating 129.6 kcal a day to maintain.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
streamline wrote:
nowakc wrote:
“Most people burn about one calorie per kilogram of body weight per minute”

um, correct me if i’m misunderstanding this, but doesnt this mean i burned around 90 calories in the last minute (because i’m not you know, ripped like a bodybuilder). Good thing i’m cutting, otherwise in order to maintain I should actually be eating 129600 calories a day.

This article is just ridiculous

There is a difference between calories and K-calories.

you’re right, oddly enough, it’s a factor of 1000. He clearly only needs to be eating 129.6 kcal a day to maintain.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what I originally thought…I knew people on here have referred to kcals, and I assumed they were 1000 calories…but that math didn’t really work out either.

A lot of the links on the page connect to the Allure Total Makeover site…so don’t take this too seriously.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
a lot of the links on the page connect to the Allure Total Makeover site…so don’t take this too seriously.

http://www.allure.com/user/makeover/login?mbid=msnbc

Notice the girl on the right of the screen doing DB curls sitting on a physio ball lmao[/quote]

haha…I wonder if it’s diet or regular…