Wow: Facts of Dieting

facts of dieting.

Holy flying fuck.

And people wonder why we’re so confused in this society about weight loss, shit like this propagates it.

I’m really tempted to write that editor an email and fly off the handle.

“Resistance training is pointless, and aerobic activity is the best method”

studies do show nutrition will play the biggest role, but saying that exercise isn’t important is horrible.

“You have to be ripped like a BB to burn more calories”

good fricken lord :doh:

my reading of any mainstream dietary/fitness article usually stops at “low fat” which usually occurs within the first paragraph

no one that has a sedentary lifestyle/job in western society deserves carbs in any significant quantity

I suppose that’s why I get my weight-loss and muscle building information from this site:

[quote]Otep wrote:
I suppose that’s why I get my weight-loss and muscle building information from this site:

[/quote]

Yeah but the forums are full of assholes.

You know, I think I might write an article on how to be a better figure skater. I know fuck all about figure skating, but that doesn’t really seem to matter.

[quote]Otep wrote:

[/quote]

You’d never catch me on such a travesty of a site.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Otep wrote:

You’d never catch me on such a travesty of a site.[/quote]

Well, I don’t want to get too big…

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
You know, I think I might write an article on how to be a better figure skater. I know fuck all about figure skating, but that doesn’t really seem to matter. [/quote]

All I know is that it involves women, ice and short skirts.

Hurrah for pointy nipples!

Well the first guy giving advice wasn’t so bad, but it went downhill FAST after that. They’re supposed to be experts and can’t tell the difference between overall bodyweight and lean body mass? Yikes.

I’m gonna guess Rosie O’Donnell wrote that article, am I right?

One of the gems from that article:

"Doesn’t strength training build muscle and therefore increase your resting metabolic rate?

That’s actually a myth. You’d have to be totally ripped �?? like, bodybuilder ripped �?? to get a noticeable bump in your metabolism. Most people burn about one calorie per kilogram of body weight per minute, whereas a bodybuilder burns about 1.2."

I guess that means we can all stop lifting weights then.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:

"Doesn’t strength training build muscle and therefore increase your resting metabolic rate?

That’s actually a myth. You’d have to be totally ripped �?? like, bodybuilder ripped �?? to get a noticeable bump in your metabolism. Most people burn about one calorie per kilogram of body weight per minute, whereas a bodybuilder burns about 1.2."

I guess that means we can all stop lifting weights then.[/quote]

LOL, I missed the part where a normal person would burn 1 cal/min where a BB would be 1.2 is that while eating .9 bananas

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

I guess that means we can all stop lifting weights then.

LOL, I missed the part where a normal person would burn 1 cal/min where a BB would be 1.2 is that while eating .9 bananas[/quote]

Yeah, no wonder we all spend so much time here. We just sit on our asses, posting away, getting fucking hyoge. Damn it feels good to be a bodybuilder!

The more you post, the more calories you burn.

All that extra typing.

It’s true.

Dieting 101, K-calories energy expenditure most exceed K-calorie intake. Class dismissed!

Here are the two questions that forced me to stop reading before my brain imploded from sheer stupidity:

If exercise is part of your weight-loss plan, what’s the best type to do?

Aerobic activity is far and away the best, for one simple reason: You burn more calories.
Ever heard of HIIT? (My question to the author)

Are you better off doing a long, moderate-intensity workout or a shorter, high-intensity one?
If you want to lose weight, stay at a moderate pace, because you can go longer and it doesn’t wipe you out as much. When you do a high-intensity workout �?? running or cycling so hard that you can’t carry on a conversation �?? you are so tired afterward that you tend to be lazier for the rest of the day. Instead of going shopping, you lie on the couch. People also tend to eat 20 percent to 25 percent more than normal because they’re so hungry.

“Most people burn about one calorie per kilogram of body weight per minute”

um, correct me if i’m misunderstanding this, but doesnt this mean i burned around 90 calories in the last minute (because i’m not you know, ripped like a bodybuilder). Good thing i’m cutting, otherwise in order to maintain I should actually be eating 129600 calories a day.

This article is just ridiculous

This is just another reason why people in the mainstream are fat, weak and unfit, and consider T-Nation as the lunatic fringe.

If you Google this turd - Ralph La Forge - you will see he has been quite a busy boy. I like his observation on how the untrained participant is not as efficent as the trained participant and has to work harder at a given activity. GENIUS.

The other comment that you have to be bodybuilder ripped is absolutly fucking priceless. He does hold a Masters of Science with no specialization sited. Interesting.

He is big on meditation, yoga, and stargazing though. http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/325

Duke has one of the largest severe obesity treatment facilites in the WORLD. With advice like this who would not think that you can never not be fat.

Those T-Nation people scare me. I refuse to click on the link. I am going to go stargazing.