Why Do Humans Like to Alter Their Reality?

Most people are never completely happy and satisfied. Humans always want more and to progress. If we’re feeling nice, we’d like to feel even nicer.

Gee, this party is swell. I’m having a ball. But It’d really be ballin’ if I was stoned.

And what’s with the stigma on mind-altering substances? Shit’s fun.

Who else thinks the gym is the best escape from “reality”?

[quote]wushu_1984 wrote:
Who else thinks the gym is the best escape from “reality”?[/quote]'sm
That’s how I roll these days.

ben franklin said it best, “beer is proof that god wants us to be happy”

if you were in the greatest mood all the time you wouldnt be in a good mood.People need to experience pain and anguish so that when you feel good it feels fucking great.Its like when your sick, really fucking sick throwing up and fever and shit.As soon as your better and healthy you wanna attack the world.Getting a little drunk or high is like feeling better from normal.

[quote]wushu_1984 wrote:
Who else thinks the gym is the best escape from “reality”?[/quote]

No No No, the gym is reality.

The gym is the escape from the bullshit.Just you and the iron, and the occasional smoking hot chicks wearing those tight fucking black pants doing stiff leg deads…FUCK!!!

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
wushu_1984 wrote:
Who else thinks the gym is the best escape from “reality”?

No No No, the gym is reality.

The gym is the escape from the bullshit.Just you and the iron, and the occasional smoking hot chicks wearing those tight fucking black pants doing stiff leg deads…FUCK!!![/quote]

This.

To alter reality,well,have you ever sat down and thought about your reality? Have you ever thought to yourself that the overbearing reality that your never going to be big enough,successful enough,or things that you desire in life is never going to be how you’d like them to be? Drinking or Taking drugs (At least temporary) makes people feel good. Even if its not constructive as lifting weights or working out. People have dreams and fantasies and I guess they feel that the closest they’re ever going to reach those things or have even the slightest idea of how good to realize those things feel;are through the end of a bottle.

That reminds me…

I’m all out of weed.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Oleena, I have to agree. First and foremost we are chemical beings. Everything of and related to the body is chemistry including our thoughts and feelings, etc. Altering our chemistry is altering our reality…and it is fun.[/quote]

X2

Consider as well that generally speaking, most of the decisions we take are fueled by one very simplistic drive: avoiding pain in favor of gaining pleasure. Drugs are a very easy way to gain a quick pleasure-fix.

They do it to: lose control, be in more control, alter reality, forget, more energy, lose inhibitions, be more outgoing, calm down, fit in, be miserable, have a higher consciousness, better performance, Possibly die.

I’m not bashing drugs, I’ve dabbled myself, it’s just interesting that we all want to be taken away.

[quote]Marlind wrote:
CGspot wrote:
Oleena wrote:
I read a psychology article stating that the main human goal in life appears to be to reach an altered level of reality. Your body produces a chemical reaction much like addiction to a drug when it falls in love. when u eat chololate the same thing happens. when you work out your body produces it’s own version of morphine. the human body exists in a reality created by chemical reactions.

Therefore, why would it be weird that we would choose to induce a chemical feeling of any sort as long as we were convinced that it wouldn’t be detrimentative to our long term survival and success?

i’ve beeen in love. it’s definately an addicting drug :frowning:

When in love your brain releases a lot of feel-good hormones that are closely related to sexuality and comfort like serotonin …This causes adiction to the feeling of being with one specific person… :slight_smile:
cheers…[/quote]

i’m way more drunk now, maybe sometimes i’ll respond when i’m sober.

that’s what i’m saying, i’m addicted to someone who’s not in love with me and it sucks big. maybe i should escape this reality

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Oleena, I have to agree. First and foremost we are chemical beings. Everything of and related to the body is chemistry including our thoughts and feelings, etc. Altering our chemistry is altering our reality…and it is fun.[/quote]

Amen to that.

[quote]CGspot wrote:
Marlind wrote:
CGspot wrote:
Oleena wrote:
I read a psychology article stating that the main human goal in life appears to be to reach an altered level of reality. Your body produces a chemical reaction much like addiction to a drug when it falls in love. when u eat chololate the same thing happens. when you work out your body produces it’s own version of morphine. the human body exists in a reality created by chemical reactions.

Therefore, why would it be weird that we would choose to induce a chemical feeling of any sort as long as we were convinced that it wouldn’t be detrimentative to our long term survival and success?

i’ve beeen in love. it’s definately an addicting drug :frowning:

When in love your brain releases a lot of feel-good hormones that are closely related to sexuality and comfort like serotonin …This causes adiction to the feeling of being with one specific person… :slight_smile:
cheers…

i’m way more drunk now, maybe sometimes i’ll respond when i’m sober.

that’s what i’m saying, i’m addicted to someone who’s not in love with me and it sucks big. maybe i should escape this reality[/quote]

Oh christ.

Suicide is probably the only solution.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I think it’s dumb that someone can go to war and die at the age of 18 here but they can’t drink a beer legally until 21.[/quote]

Aren’t armed forces members allowed to drink on base or was that an old custom. I thought they could drink on base. Guess that was just a BS story. What about when they are oversees on base?

[quote]BiggieBenAgain wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I think it’s dumb that someone can go to war and die at the age of 18 here but they can’t drink a beer legally until 21.

Aren’t armed forces members allowed to drink on base or was that an old custom. I thought they could drink on base. Guess that was just a BS story. What about when they are oversees on base?[/quote]

I’ve never been 18 on base so the issues they have to deal with is something I am unaware of. Whether it was allowed or not hasn’t stopped teenagers all over the country from drinking long before 21. My guess is, it really doesn’t matter.

I smoke pot because it makes things funnier. That, and the scientific questions that arise regarding the practicality of navel lint.

[quote]BiggieBenAgain wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I think it’s dumb that someone can go to war and die at the age of 18 here but they can’t drink a beer legally until 21.

Aren’t armed forces members allowed to drink on base or was that an old custom. I thought they could drink on base. Guess that was just a BS story. What about when they are oversees on base?[/quote]

nope. Battalions can ask the base General for one night where underage marines can drink, like at mess nights… but especially not overseas. absolutely no alcohol. alot of people would probably shoot themselves or someone else.

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
BiggieBenAgain wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Aren’t armed forces members allowed to drink on base or was that an old custom. I thought they could drink on base. Guess that was just a BS story. What about when they are oversees on base?

used to be that way a few years back. now, Battalions can ask the base General for one night where underage marines can drink, like at mess nights… but especially not overseas. absolutely no alcohol. alot of people would probably shoot themselves or someone else.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
I smoke pot because it makes things funnier. That, and the scientific questions that arise regarding the practicality of navel lint.[/quote]

It’s like I’m listening to myself…