When to Train Shoulders in Split?

What would you guys recommend. I find my back easier to train and I like training back. Therefor I work harder on it.

My chest is less developed and not proportionate to my back. I guess you’ll have to see pice to get a true understanding, regardless.

Should I train shoulders on chest day, back day arms day or give them their own day.

Split looks like this.

Mon Chest/Shoulders
Tue Legs
Wed Back
Thu Calves/Abs
Fri Arms

My calves and abs definitely need the separate day. But should shoulders take Sat?

If you are doing any pressing for your triceps (close grip benching, dips), you’d be training shoulders THREE times per week! I have tried shoulders and chest on the same day for bodybuilding when I first started. I could to chest, shoulders, triceps back then on the same day. As I got stronger I had to change my split around to progress. I tried it once again as a more advanced person and found it unbearable. I couldn’t move shit with my shoulders.

Do you deadlifts. If you do them on back day, I do not know how you survive leg and back day on consecutive days.

I do not think calves and abs should have a separate day, its not really much of a workout. Just my opinion. I couple them up with other bodyparts. However, I do not do abs anymore to be honest. I noticed that after a certain point, most ab exercises became absolutely useless for me. How much weight could one add to a situp. How much can one add to leg raises after a certain point. I’ve gotten more sore from negative chinups than from ab work.

I train shoulders with tris.
Day 1: Chest, bis
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: off
Day 4: shoulders, tris
Day 5: off
Day 6: Back
Day 7: off

Shoulders are the one bodypart that seems to be used in almost everything. If you do any Olympic lifts, than I wouldn’t recommend doing shoulders outside of that day. But, if you don’t, than I could see a separate day for shoulders. But if you do so, I would recommend some time between shoulders, chest, and triceps.

I once worked on a split when we weren’t lifting with the football team designed by a much more experience player. It went like this:

Mon- Shoulders
Tue- Legs
Wed- Chest
Thu- Back
Fri- Arms

I currently do a 5day split and its broken up like this:

Back
Chest
Legs
Shoulders
Arms

I like this setup currently, I get a full day break after my back and chest before my shoulders get hit and by doing back on monday instead of chest i can do heavy rack pulls for back development and then get a day break before I do legs (where I do romanian deadlifts and such).

Also, since shoulders do get used so much in everything else my focus on my shoulder day is really on the medial delt.

I’m going to switch it up.

Mon Chest
Tue Legs
Wed Arms/Abs
Thu Back
Fri Shoulders
Sat Abs/Calves

Yea, Josh86 I see what you saying. That’s pretty much what I need to work. Rears and fronts look good. Medials are lacking.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
If you are doing any pressing for your triceps (close grip benching, dips), you’d be training shoulders THREE times per week! I have tried shoulders and chest on the same day for bodybuilding when I first started. I could to chest, shoulders, triceps back then on the same day. As I got stronger I had to change my split around to progress. I tried it once again as a more advanced person and found it unbearable. I couldn’t move shit with my shoulders.

Do you deadlifts. If you do them on back day, I do not know how you survive leg and back day on consecutive days.

I do not think calves and abs should have a separate day, its not really much of a workout. Just my opinion. I couple them up with other bodyparts. However, I do not do abs anymore to be honest. I noticed that after a certain point, most ab exercises became absolutely useless for me. How much weight could one add to a situp. How much can one add to leg raises after a certain point. I’ve gotten more sore from negative chinups than from ab work.

I train shoulders with tris.
Day 1: Chest, bis
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: off
Day 4: shoulders, tris
Day 5: off
Day 6: Back
Day 7: off[/quote]

Thanks for the in depth reply. I also like the Chest/Bi, Shoulder/Tri variation the only problem is that I like to get my Bis/Tris in on the same day. Is there a reason that you split them like that? I get a pretty good workout on tris on chest day.