What's the Best Home Gym System?

If I were going to spend a small amount of money and get a big bang, I would get power blocks and a bench. I think that is an excellent start

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
If I were going to spend a small amount of money and get a big bang, I would get power blocks and a bench. I think that is an excellent start[/quote]

Definitely agree. When I can’t get to the gym, my Power Blocks can still give a good workout.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Get a barbell, some plates and a power rack.[/quote]

Exactly.

That’s what a real home gym consists of along with some dumbbells and a few other things. But you can easily start with a power rack, flat bench and plates (I did) and be good to go for a few years.

Bowflex and other similar things take up space and end up being clothes hangers. Not to mention that you won’t end up looking like the models promoting them.

[quote]dday wrote:
DO NOT BUY THE BOWFLEX!!! Unless you’re old (80+)and just want to stay active or you have a debilitating injury that prevents you from using iron save your money.

I had one for a year and actually got weaker, I know it sounds stupid but I did (probably lost stability muscle strength). Sold the bowflex, bought a cage,some olympic weights and couldn’t be happier. [/quote]

My experience with Bowflex was very similar. I also ended up buying a rack, bench, bar and plates. If you want machines you can get the Powertec Workbench Multi System at Dick’s Sporting Goods for $1,000.

bpeck

I personally like my steel buckets full of bricks on ropes hanging from boat pulleys.

Mainly because its all I have and it did not cost much :slight_smile:

JUST 200lb of resistance? Come on man, even I would need added resistance! And im WEAK. Sick with barbell, bench, rack. Add dumbells.